Driving in the Maritimes

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 08:17 AM
2Northstars
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving in the Maritimes

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for suggestions from fellow Maritimers. I've recently purchased my first truck, 98 Lariat 4x4, and it needs new tires (255/70R16). I don't plan on using it for commuting on a regular basis, maybe just once in a while during bad weather days (my commute is 30 minutes of highway driving, one-way). So, mainly I plan to use it evenings and weekends around town, and the occasional fishing/hunting trip.

I would like a tire that I can use all year, that is good in snow, ice, and rain, and half descent for the occasional light off road stuff. And of course, I am financialy limited, the tires I've been looking at will cost about 600 installed and out the door for 4 of them.

Seeing that the winters here in the Maritimes are somewhat unique to the Maritimes, I thought this might be a good forum to seek some advice. I'm wondering what tire most of you are using, and if you have any recommendations for me.

So far my shopping has led me to either a Dayton Timberline, or a Wild Country tire.

Cheers, and Happy new Year to everyone.

Old 01-09-2005, 10:38 AM
bossind
Elder User
I've tried them all and the best tire I have bought is the BFG All Terrain. Wear is great and the ride is excellant! All the otheres would wear fast and go out bounce, I got tired of blance and rebalancing. No longer do I have that problem, wish someone pushed me in this direction 7 years ago!

Old 01-10-2005, 05:16 PM
BlueOvalBaker
Senior User
I like ther BF goodrich's as well. Nice pattern, but even so as to give a flat ride on the roads. Not racing slick smooth, but you won't be running everyday, so that tire would be great. I just don't got any idea on cost

Old 01-12-2005, 04:11 PM
MatthewC
Elder User
I swear by BFG's, but if you want to save a couple of dollars, the Roughriders from Canadian Tire are also very good. I had a set on my old half ton that lasted for 2 years, with decent tread left.

-Matt

Old 01-12-2005, 08:16 PM
BlueOvalBaker
Senior User
Was talkni to my POM teacher, he paid, well the guy hes doin the tires for paid 170 dolars a tire with a discount. Mind you they were the ice traction ones, but when you get biger tires and deeper tread, you start paying about the same or more.