2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another "remote starter" question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Yeller
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another "remote starter" question

I already did a search in this forum and couldn't find an answer to my question(s). I purchased an alarm/starter system (Crimestopper) and was wondering if there is something I need to do to make the remote start aspect compatible with my trucks electronics. I've seen numerous mentions of getting a 3rd key from Ford and programming it. I don't understand the purpose of the extra key . Can someone explain the 'key' part to me and is there anything else that needs to be done for the install?

Thanks

Old 01-06-2005, 06:19 AM
lardman
Elder User
Your key has a chip in it that the ignition system reads to confirm the key matches the truck. If your key doesn't match (i.e. if I stick my windstar key in my f150 ignition) the truck will not crank...you can't even rotate the ignition. An extra key is needed to supply the "matching" signal since your key is not in the ignition. I saw on another thread that the new ford system doesn't require the extra key, it has an internal chip that stores the "matching" signal and you can program it with both of your keys. I don't have the remote start so this is all I can offer.
Here are the links:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...0+remote+start+

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...0+remote+start+

Last edited by lardman; 01-06-2005 at 06:27 AM.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:20 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Yeller
I already did a search in this forum and couldn't find an answer to my question(s). I purchased an alarm/starter system (Crimestopper) and was wondering if there is something I need to do to make the remote start aspect compatible with my trucks electronics. I've seen numerous mentions of getting a 3rd key from Ford and programming it. I don't understand the purpose of the extra key . Can someone explain the 'key' part to me and is there anything else that needs to be done for the install?

Thanks
You need a PATS bypass unit. About $30.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Yeller
Junior User
Thanks for the response. I guess I'll head to my Ford dealer and get the necessary parts.