Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2005, 07:04 PM
New User

hopscotch is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unhappy clicking sound from front drivers side ????

hello everone i just brought a 1986 ford 250 4x4 while driving it i have noticed a clicking sound coming from the drivers side tire as i speed up so does the sound
not sure where to start looking or fixxing this is my first 4x4 help me please
also where can i get a real repair manual got the haynes but veyy brief. thankyou all
hop

Last edited by hopscotch; 01-05-2005 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Senior User

paden is starting off with a positive reputation.
You might check your spedometer cable. I had one once that clicked when it was cold and it sounded like it was from the left front wheel.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Senior User

nudgey is starting off with a positive reputation.
sorry to state the obvious, but could it possibly be a screw/nail/stone in the tyre ?

chris
Old 01-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Posting Guru

mistakenID is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mistakenID is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
aside from the screw/nail/stone it could also be a hubcap if it has them, busted cord in a tire, bearing or hub (less likely)
Dads 87 F-250
4x4-5sp 6.9 Turbo
73,000 original miles
Old 01-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Junior User

fixnmyf150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It may also be a loose break caliper.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Elder User

Lee Lichterman is starting off with a positive reputation.
FWIW - I have this too and just now figured it out. The brake pads are supposed to have a little clip that holds the pad in place. ( I am not even sure what it is called but I think it is called an "anti-rattle clip". Mine are both gone and my driver's side occasionally makes a racket when I am going slow. It almost sounds like someone is tapping on my wheel lightly with a small ballpeen hammer.

I haven't figured out where I am going to get these to replace them yet. The only reason I knew they were missing was that I have them on my other truck but not this one. The sound had been driving me nuts until I figured it out.

Lee
86 F-150 XLT supercab 5.0L EFI JBA Headers, 3" MagnaFlow Cat & XL Muffler- 2WD to 4x4 conversion - 4" Rancho Lift & Radius arms, 33" BFG ATs, Rust Bullet inside & out then repainted. Nerfs, Electric Fans, custom interior - tach cluster - Firestone Air Bags - 4:11 LS diff - No Rust - No Filler
Old 01-06-2005, 07:08 PM
New User

Talking clicking sound

thanks for your input on the sound i checked for rocks nails and screws found none. looked in the hub caps found nothing. as far as the speedo cable it doesnt work on the dash so maybe :{
i am going to grease up the hubs and do the the ball joints this weekend so we will see thanks
Old 01-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Post Fiend

Beast12 has a brilliant futureBeast12 has a brilliant futureBeast12 has a brilliant futureBeast12 has a brilliant futureBeast12 has a brilliant futureBeast12 has a brilliant futureBeast12 has a brilliant futureBeast12 has a brilliant futureBeast12 has a brilliant futureBeast12 has a brilliant futureBeast12 has a brilliant future
Clicking? HAS to be u-joints. Check for play/wear. Good luck!

-Matt
Old 01-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Senior User

paden is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopscotch
as far as the speedo cable it doesnt work on the dash so maybe :{
You can eliminate the spedometer cable by just unscrewing it from the side of the transmission, tape up the hole when it is removed. If the cable is broken inside there is probably a bur or twist at the break so every time it twists around the inner piece catches on the outer shell.

A lot of times auto parts stores will have those little brake sound clips in those red bubble card things (same place you find replacement door handles and window handles). If they don't have them there they will usually come in the better brake kits.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Junior User

Trial and Error is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a clicking noise in the front of a 4WD Trooper which was caused by grease drying out or lack of grease in the hubs, allowing for partial disengagement of the gears within the hubs. I had the hubs repacked for a chunk of change and the problem was gone - no replacement parts required.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:58 AM
Elder User

Lee Lichterman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paden
A lot of times auto parts stores will have those little brake sound clips in those red bubble card things (same place you find replacement door handles and window handles). If they don't have them there they will usually come in the better brake kits.
Thanks!!! I will check out that "Help" isle at the auto store tomorrow.

Lee
86 F-150 XLT supercab 5.0L EFI JBA Headers, 3" MagnaFlow Cat & XL Muffler- 2WD to 4x4 conversion - 4" Rancho Lift & Radius arms, 33" BFG ATs, Rust Bullet inside & out then repainted. Nerfs, Electric Fans, custom interior - tach cluster - Firestone Air Bags - 4:11 LS diff - No Rust - No Filler
Old 01-07-2005, 08:01 AM
Senior User

MRStace84 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If it gets louder when you go around a turn, it's the U-joint in the front axle.

It is the brake clips, it will make a rattle while going down a rough road, but by gentley pressing the brake pedal the rattle will stop.

If your hubs have not been torn down and repacked, then something could be getting dry in there
Old 01-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Posting Guru

big hoss 29 has a great reputation on FTE.big hoss 29 has a great reputation on FTE.big hoss 29 has a great reputation on FTE.big hoss 29 has a great reputation on FTE.big hoss 29 has a great reputation on FTE.
Just a thought, but after you hear the clicking, check the position of the locking hub. I had an 83 F-150 4x4 and when I would go down a bumpy road, the drivers side hub would spin to lock. I would get out and spin it back to free, drive for awhile and it would spin back to lock.
When it would do this, it would make a rattling noise, like someone shaking a spray paint can. I changed the hubs out and the problem went away. You might not need to change your hubs out, but you should inspect them at least.

"get away from me you unlucky jerk before your luck rubs off on me!"
Old 01-07-2005, 05:25 PM
New User

thanks for the tip i am going to change the universels tomorrow andre build the hubs
again thanks for you help
hop
Old 01-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Senior User

the peppermint is starting off with a positive reputation.
my neighbors truck had the hubs taken apart at one time by a previous owner, who did not put them back together correctly it caused a clicking sound because it was trying to lock in
Old 01-07-2005, 07:15 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks