1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

toyota power steering conversion kits

Old 04-07-2012, 07:34 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuckRob
Will a power steering box from a 94 4runner SR5 work?
Sorry, no. You need a box from a 79-84 Toyota full size pickup 4x4. See here for details and pictures of the box you want:
Toyota Steering Box Swap For 1948-1960 Trucks .: Articles

Old 04-08-2012, 07:10 AM
hobbs53
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...and these Toyota boxes are almost impossible to find anymorel. I have one on back-order since Jan. from Sacramento Vintage Ford, only to find out CPP refurbishes them (when they can get them) I heard they were going to start making them, but just lots of talk so far.....
Does anyone know where else to find one?

Old 04-08-2012, 08:42 AM
ChuckRob
Elder User
Local guy was parting out the 4 runner and the pump was available. Thanks for the information.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:25 AM
willys36
New User
One more note on the Toyota box conversion; my application to a Chevy pickup didn't have the advantage of the stock Chevy pittman arm bolting onto the Toyota gear as with early Fords. I simply ued my torch and heated the Toyota weird shaped arm and bent it striaight (steel in that is amenable to this treatment, just let it cool slowly, don't quench it), cut off its ball, drilled it and taper reamed it for the rod end. Had to do the same procedure on the steering arm of the '53 Chevy spindle (bent it up a couple inches) to get it lined up w/ the Pittman arm. Works great.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:58 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Actually the Ford arm does not bolt to the Toy box, the splines don't match. Fortunately an aftermarket replacement arm with the correct splines, length and ball is available from several suppliers including Mid Fifty along with a bolt-in mount. Personally I would not suggest bending a pitman arm without the proper furnace and procedure to stress relieve it after. A steering linkage failure is a seriously life threatening possibility. You may be willing to accept the risks, but it is risking the lives of others that makes it irresponsible. Sorry!

Old 04-08-2012, 10:32 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by hobbs53
...and these Toyota boxes are almost impossible to find anymorel. I have one on back-order since Jan. from Sacramento Vintage Ford, only to find out CPP refurbishes them (when they can get them) I heard they were going to start making them, but just lots of talk so far.....
Does anyone know where else to find one?
You don't need a new or rebuilt one (rebuilding consists of replacing the two oil seals), the used ones seldom have a problem, they were well built from the factory. A quick look on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market showed several used ones available in the 85. - 150. range. I don't know if they have stock, but Mid Fifty sells the rebuilt ones as did Carquest.

4x4 and off road club members are another source of boxes, they redo the front steering on these trucks and take the boxes off.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:40 PM
willys36
New User
Originally Posted by AXracer
Actually the Ford arm does not bolt to the Toy box, the splines don't match. Fortunately an aftermarket replacement arm with the correct splines, length and ball is available from several suppliers including Mid Fifty along with a bolt-in mount. Personally I would not suggest bending a pitman arm without the proper furnace and procedure to stress relieve it after. A steering linkage failure is a seriously life threatening possibility. You may be willing to accept the risks, but it is risking the lives of others that makes it irresponsible. Sorry!
I understand, If you don't undersyand metalurgy should steer clear of mods. However the steel used in these parts can be hot formed no problem. Same steel as used in beam axles and spindles which were heat reformed by the hundreds in the 50s & 60s.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:04 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Please understand that you, I and a few others on here understand the metalurgy involved, but most don't, and doing things like overheating, underheating, using the wrong flame adjustment, quenching, not normalizing, can all lead to an accident going to happen.
Since the needed part for our trucks is available I would rather recommend on the conservative side for the sake of safety. IMHO Modifications to the steering, brake systems is life determining and should not be home brewed unless you are very educated and skilled in the system. I have that knowledge and skills, but I still bought my Toy box mount and pitman arm.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:38 PM
willys36
New User
Please understand that you, I and a few others on here understand the metalurgy involved, but most don't, and doing things like overheating, underheating, using the wrong flame adjustment, quenching, not normalizing, can all lead to an accident going to happen.
Since the needed part for our trucks is available I would rather recommend on the conservative side for the sake of safety. IMHO Modifications to the steering, brake systems is life determining and should not be home brewed unless you are very educated and skilled in the system. I have that knowledge and skills, but I still bought my Toy box mount and pitman arm.

Touche'. .

Old 04-09-2012, 12:14 AM
Bozworth
Senior User
hobbs53:
I've been able to find them fairly regularly....3 in the last month. I search my area's Craigslist for "1979 Toyota", "1980 Toyota", etc...and sometimes "Toyota 4x4". Anybody that is advertising Toyota 4x4 parts for sale, or parts wanted (in the 79-83 year range) gets an email from me, asking if they have the PS gearbox. I am scheduled to pick up a PS gearbox from a 1980 Toyota 4x4 next monday. I have to drive 50 miles to get it though. Price: $30

Old 04-09-2012, 08:02 AM
hobbs53
Junior User
Thanks Boz.
Exactly what box from which vehicles will work for the '59 F100. I'm using the stock column, and have the centering bearing, u-joint, etc. ordered with the box kit (which is still on back-order). Just want to make sure i'm looking through Craigslist/salvage yards for the right box.
Thanks again!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:06 AM
hobbs53
Junior User
..should have re-read the blog...Ax already explained above...thanks again guys!

Old 04-09-2012, 11:04 AM
willys36
New User
Actually the Ford arm does not bolt to the Toy box, the splines don't match. Fortunately an aftermarket replacement arm with the correct splines, length and ball is available from several suppliers including Mid Fifty along with a bolt-in mount.
I have never done the deed on a vintage Ford pickup, my 2011 F100 is my oldest Ford truck! I was basing that contention on an article in an old Street Rod Trucks magazine article that clued me into this neat conversion. They claimed the Ford pittman arm fit on the Toyota gear, just had to grind a clamp bolt notch on the Toyota shaft.

I really like keeping the beam axle, not only because of the newstalgia theme of my truck but also because I got +60,000mi out of a set of tires even with worn out king pins. No way that happens w/ late mode indies.

Here are a couple more pictures of my conversion FYI. As you can see the Toyota box is a great replacement for the Chevy slug as it is for the Ford. The second pic shows a better shot of the bracket I made to put the Toyota in the same place as the Chevy factory box. Everything was eventually powder coated.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by willys36
I have never done the deed on a vintage Ford pickup, my 2011 F100 is my oldest Ford truck! I was basing that contention on an article in an old Street Rod Trucks magazine article that clued me into this neat conversion. They claimed the Ford pittman arm fit on the Toyota gear, just had to grind a clamp bolt notch on the Toyota shaft.

I really like keeping the beam axle, not only because of the newstalgia theme of my truck but also because I got +60,000mi out of a set of tires even with worn out king pins. No way that happens w/ late mode indies.

Here are a couple more pictures of my conversion FYI. As you can see the Toyota box is a great replacement for the Chevy slug as it is for the Ford. The second pic shows a better shot of the bracket I made to put the Toyota in the same place as the Chevy factory box. Everything was eventually powder coated.

I had wondered about doing the same thing. How well did it work mounted on top of the frame? How long is the pitman arm?

Old 04-09-2012, 12:26 PM
willys36
New User
Originally Posted by Moe Craig
I had wondered about doing the same thing. How well did it work mounted on top of the frame? How long is the pitman arm?
As you can see from the pic of my bracket, it is about as simple as you can get. Don't know if that mounting point would work for a Ford; Looks like the angle of the steering column forces the gear to be thru frame. Either way, it is about as easy and clean a fix as you can get.

I straigtened the Toyota pittman arm as you see in the photos but it is still a lot shorter (2"?) than the Chevy one was. I still get full turning radius with the shorter arm so no problem there. If you are doing a Ford, you should probably just get the after-market arm that is hopefully engineerd for the geometry fo the truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: toyota power steering conversion kits