Performance Distributors Ford D.U.I. (Davis Unified Ignition)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 06:43 PM
saltwaterman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Distributors Ford D.U.I. (Davis Unified Ignition)

Does anyone have experience with Performance Distributors Ford D.U.I. (Davis Unified Ignition), made by Performance Distributors?
I have a 73 f250 with a 390 and my distributor is causing all sorts of problems. A guy at a speed shop told me about this distributor. The cost is 375 bucks vs. 39 bucks for the NAPA special. Does a distributors effect the engine that much to warrent the price difference?

Old 01-04-2005, 08:32 PM
f100guy
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
well it's custom made to your specs, like operating range,advance,purpose, stuff like that. not to mention it is an hei distributor made to fit in the ford motors. they are good but pricey. just put a pertronics in your dizzy or swap to a homemade hei system and be done with it.

Old 01-05-2005, 12:16 PM
mako5972
Elder User
www.carbdford.com/tech/HEI/hei.htm this link willshow you how to make a homemade HEI unit. I have heard about the DUI and all of it was good. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2005, 07:33 PM
wozxxx86
Senior User
i read a review on the DUI and...i guess u can expect decent gains in all areas.

MPG, throttle response, hp, tq, and cold start. and the compairison was vs the HEI

Old 01-15-2005, 01:23 PM
WTAGAS
Freshman User
I have one in my 460. Pricey yes, but they all weigh in about the same bucks now. They are nice like all HEI are because you can play with centrifical advance easily by changing springs and weights. I am interested in the Crane multi-task dist. they have now though. One problem I have is the dist. cap touches the thermostate housing.

Old 01-16-2005, 01:39 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
The DUI and the HEI are the same setup. The DUI unit may have been set up for your application slightly better. You can do one better by getting the NAPA unit and taking your truck in and spending the extra bucks on a complete dyno tune.

Old 01-20-2005, 02:29 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Accel also has a distributor with a built in module, basically it the same as what you have in your truck only there is no ignition module to deal with (and no chevy parts to deal with either, lol), and it cost about 200 bucks i believe. I went this way on my 82 flareside and i have been very impressed so far. The wireing is so very simple and it cleans it up alot underneath the hood.

You can buy the dist. through summit.

Old 01-25-2005, 01:01 PM
buzzbait65
Elder User
Originally Posted by Torque1st
The DUI and the HEI are the same setup. The DUI unit may have been set up for your application slightly better. You can do one better by getting the NAPA unit and taking your truck in and spending the extra bucks on a complete dyno tune.
Eric, which napa unit are you talking about, i was also looking at the DUI

Old 01-25-2005, 04:41 PM
f100guy
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
he is talking about the homemade hei that you can make with ignition parts from napa

Old 01-25-2005, 05:31 PM
buzzbait65
Elder User
I cant seem to find anyone that is willing or able to recurve my distributor (duraspark) for a truck, everyone wants to do it for racing ,. I have noticed huge gains and losses with adjusting the mechanical and the vacuum advance and i am just not sure where the perfect medium is( power, mileage, no pinging), so i am opting for the DUI, so as to eliminate that problem, plus, it is simple and reliable......i know its a gm thing, but i already use a gm one wire alt., fridgidaire compressor, and a saginaw ps pump ( lincoln stuff) not the alt it was easy to mount, so.......

Old 01-25-2005, 07:15 PM
mclaughlin31
Senior User
Hey there,
I have the DUI on my 460. They are made very well, good company to deal with, I honestly can't tell you how it works as I haven't started my motor yet , working on it though. They are very close to the thermostat housing ( I had to grind a tad off mine to get it to set down right. My only two complaints, they recommend a 13 inch air cleaner, which I think is pretty puny for a 460 and everybody seems to like to rub it in that I have a ch**y dist. in my ford
james
P.S. I have a few motor pics in my gallery with the DUI on.

Old 01-25-2005, 07:53 PM
buzzbait65
Elder User
I guess i will have trouble with my dual snorkle H.O. mustang, at least 20" across, air cleaner ......and i am already hearing the GM comments, just talking about using the DUI
I like the simplicity of the DUI, i will need to research it more

thanks, Marty

Old 01-26-2005, 12:09 PM
Barthsranger
New User
I have a DUI distributor in my 302 and in my opinion it's worth every penny I spent on it. I had to modify (grind about an eighth of an inch off) the front intake runner for it to seat properly and had no issues with the thermostat housing like the people running big blocks did. I am running a dual snorkel H.O. air filter housing too and in order to clear the dist. cap I installed a one half inch spacer between the air filter housing and the top of the carburetor. It replaced my Dura Spark ignition that I had converted to a few years back. The difference between the two is like night and day.

Old 02-02-2005, 08:28 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I have the DUI also on a mild build 390 in my 70 F250....I took the point system out..and put in the DUI..I cant feel any seat of the pants performance difference!

But were talking about a mild 390 maybe 350hp... My advice would be if your running a mild or stock build just go with the Point eliminator kits..and you'll be fine..

I did notice one big thing about the DUI..when its cold here in VA..in these here Hills.. The cold start ups are No longer a pain in the ***!!

Russ..Oh and PS..I will be running a DUI on my HIPO 521" Cobra Build..750+HP...but that wont be going in the Truck!! LOL!!

Old 02-20-2005, 10:43 PM
bassdude
Elder User
Originally Posted by buzzbait65
I cant seem to find anyone that is willing or able to recurve my distributor (duraspark) for a truck, everyone wants to do it for racing ,. I have noticed huge gains and losses with adjusting the mechanical and the vacuum advance and i am just not sure where the perfect medium is( power, mileage, no pinging), so i am opting for the DUI, so as to eliminate that problem, plus, it is simple and reliable......i know its a gm thing, but i already use a gm one wire alt., fridgidaire compressor, and a saginaw ps pump ( lincoln stuff) not the alt it was easy to mount, so.......
theres a guy on this site that will do it. PM me

Quick Reply: Performance Distributors Ford D.U.I. (Davis Unified Ignition)