1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubicon express 6.5" super duty lift system.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 07:49 PM
loghomeman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rubicon express 6.5" super duty lift system.

Anyone here on this site have this lift system? Or know someone who does? Was look for some feedback on the system. Thanks for any replys!

Old 01-01-2005, 10:10 PM
War_is_my_Shepherd
Senior User
I have it. And I am extremely pleased with it. It's a huge improvement over my previous lift, a Rancho 4" all spring lift.

Old 01-01-2005, 10:35 PM
loghomeman
Senior User
Your truck looks great! How is the over all ride quality? I`m not a off roader, I`m wanting to lift my truck to run bigger tires and mainly for looks!!! I `ve been doing alot of research and saving the $ for the lift and bigger tire and new wheels. Any input would be great. How is the quality of all the components? Did you install the lift yourself? If so how was it to install? I have never had a lifted truck, how do you rate your new system from your experience? Any other info would be great!!! thanks for your time !! mike

Old 01-02-2005, 02:20 AM
War_is_my_Shepherd
Senior User
The truck rides great. Much, much softer than my previous Rancho set-up (not to bash on Rancho). The Ranchos were brutal, I used to brace for impact with even the slightest bump. The new Rubicon springs are simply amazing by comparison. I really was stunned at how nice the ride is.

When the kit was delivered to me I went through everything piece by piece. I got the immediate impression that Rubicon takes alot of pride in their work. I was very impressed with the components...hangers, shackles, spring plates, adjustable track bar, track bar bracket...all very well done. The parts were absolute works of art. The welds were beautiful, and everything was super heavy duty.

I did install the lift myself. This is the second lift kit I've installed on my truck. Lift kits don't get easier than this since it's a solid axle front and rear. The hard part is just the physical effort involved. Basically I had to work off of my back, off of the garage floor, by myself. In total, it took me about 20 hours by myself...two eight hour days, and then a 4 hour day to re-do one of my screw-ups. Luckily my truck isn't my only vehicle, so I wasn't under any real pressure to get it done in a single day.

Tools: I do have air tools which makes things easier. And I have a pair of 10 ton jack stands that have a 47" reach. These jack stands really helped. Of course you'll need two pairs of jack stands. I don't think both pairs have to be godzilla sized though.

Tips: Here are two things that I think will help you. 1) Prepare yourself for a battle removing the pittman arm (there are a few threads about this, see if you can find them with the "seach" function). 2) On the front passenger's side spring pack - grind down the spring pack bolt until it's flush with the nut. I'm talking about the bolt and nut sticking out of the top of the spring pack. If you don't do this the trackbar won't go into place later on in the installation.

Other than that it's a matter of busting loose really tough nuts and bolts, and manipulating really heavy objects (axles and spring packs). This sort of physical labor is tough enough as it is, doing it off of your back seems to make it twice as hard. The new brake lines were easy.

All in all I'm totally satisfied. Rubicon is pricey, but once the lift kit arrived I was certain I made the right choice. And after the install, and driving it, I'm twice as certain.

And like you, I'm really into this because I love the look of big ol' 4x4s. I don't do much off-road driving. Hell, I don't do much driving at all, LOL. My truck is only used for about 10% of our driving, mainly hauling bags of trash to the corner dumpster. But at the same time I'm not willing to be a paper tiger. blah, blah, blah... suffice it to say I whole heartedly recommend the Rubicon system without reservation.

I first read about the Rubicon 6.5" system in OFF-ROAD magazine, the Dec 2003 edition, Vol 37, No. 12. The article is called "The Real McCoy", on page 54.

Last edited by War_is_my_Shepherd; 01-02-2005 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:03 AM
markethopper
Senior User
Nice Truck

WIMS, Nice post... Your truck looks awesome. I have the same truck in a PSD. I love the color.

Not trying to jack the thread but, do you have problems with your tires rubbing on hard turns? I ordered the Superlift 6" spring and bought 36x14.5x16s hoping they would clear the springs and fenders.

Old 01-02-2005, 12:00 PM
etcetera
Senior User
No amount of lift will stop tires rubbing on the springs if you don't have the right wheel tire combo. With 14.5" wide tires, they will have to stick out a couple inches, or it will rub. I have 35's on stock wheels, and it rubs the spring pack. All the lift in the world and the spring pack will still be in the way.

Eric

Old 01-02-2005, 12:12 PM
markethopper
Senior User
Is that why the backspacing is needed?

Old 01-02-2005, 01:33 PM
War_is_my_Shepherd
Senior User
I have 38" x 15.5" SSR Radials on 12" wide Mickey Thompsons ( 5/8" back spacing) and they do rub the springs at full lock. This has everything to do with wheels and tires, not the lift kit.

When I first had the new wheels and t i r e s on the truck I had my wife turn the wheel to full-lock and hold it there. We were parked in our driveway during this particular test. Anyway, as she held the steering wheel at full-lock I got in the wheel well to look at the tire/wheel/spring clearance. While parked it looked like there was tons of clearance and I thought I was in good shape. But later, in the Walmart parking lot while actually rolling I felt the tires rub.

I'll admit it annoys me, but thruth be told, it hardly ever happens. Sometimes I wonder if a different tire tread would make the difference. I know that wheel back-spacing is the critical factor, but the SSRs have the huge shoulder lugs. And it's the largest of the three shoulder lugs that hits - thump,thump,thump.

Last edited by War_is_my_Shepherd; 01-02-2005 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:01 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought MT wheels had 4.5" Backspacing or very close to it. 5/8" backspacing would mean that the mounting surface of the wheel would only be 5/8" from the the outer edge of the backside of the wheel.

To answer the other question a 36/14.50R16 on a 10" wide wheel with the recommended 4.5" of backspacing is most likely going to give you rubbing issues on the leaf springs. Running them on 12" wide wheels with the same backspacing will help get them away from the springs and minimize or eliminate the rubbing of the springs but will most likely cause rubbing issues with the front bumper and fenders.
I have 38/15.50R16.5 PJs on 16.5x9.75 wheels and of course they rub on the leaf springs, but it's not a big deal IMO. After driving a while you get used to how far you can turn without rubbing, or you can always add to your steering stop, thus limiting turning, and prevent the tires from being able to hit the springs.

Old 01-02-2005, 04:15 PM
markethopper
Senior User
DC, do you think I should change the tires to 36x12.5x16 or is it that big of a deal. I realize that it takes a football field to turn this thing around.

Old 01-02-2005, 04:24 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
It's up to you. I like the look of the wider tires better myself.
Only places where I really notice it is in small parking lots (not that a CC SD is ever easy to park in some of the tiny strip mall parking lots even when stock), I can still go through most fast food drive thrus, parking lots, and pull or back in and out of driveways without issue.

There isn't a big selection of tires in a 36/12.50R16.....with a 6" lift if you don't do a lot of hard off roading you can go with a 37/12.50, or if you beat on it off road a 35/12.50.

Old 01-03-2005, 02:30 PM
War_is_my_Shepherd
Senior User
Originally Posted by DCSpecial
I thought MT wheels had 4.5" Backspacing or very close to it. 5/8" backspacing would mean that the mounting surface of the wheel would only be 5/8" from the the outer edge of the backside of the wheel.
Oops, how about 4 and 5/8". I measured the backspacing myself with a straight edge and recollect this is what I got. Geez, now I'm wondering. Unless someone can find the specs online I'll have to pull the wheel off and double check.

Old 01-03-2005, 02:34 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
I just checked their site. If they are the 16x12 they are 4.5" and if they are the 16.5x12 they are 4.625"

Old 01-03-2005, 03:03 PM
loghomeman
Senior User
War_is_my_shepherd, do you remember which springs you got? I called rubicn express and they said they have 2 differant spring packs for the super duty 1 is more flexable and 1 is alittle more stiffer so you would still have almost the same tow / payload as stock?

Old 01-04-2005, 11:50 PM
War_is_my_Shepherd
Senior User
Originally Posted by DCSpecial
I just checked their site. If they are the 16x12 they are 4.5" and if they are the 16.5x12 they are 4.625"
Thanks for the info. I'm running the 16.5...so we're talking 4.625", which I imagine is close to 4-5/8".

Quick Reply: Rubicon express 6.5" super duty lift system.