2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 year with my '04 Screw FX4

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 10:21 PM
ProjectFairmont
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 1 year with my '04 Screw FX4

Just under 17k mi

Problems: deffective Motorcraft battery, and front end vibration that was never diagnosed but disappeared after 5 episodes during a two week period early last spring...

Strengths: Very composed and well mannered giant! My first full size since my '97 4.6 5-speed. Handles like a great big sedan with surprising agility (to a point). The 5.4 once broken in (oh about 12k mi) is alot of fun, and the tranny is very smooth. I think its greatest attribute for me is pulling my 3000 lb road race Fairmont. The fuel economy is not much less than unladen and the drivetrain rarley has to downshift to maintain speed when towing - very broad shoulders!

Comments: Second gear could be better spaced with 1st, and I sure wish I could rev to 5500 rpm rather than fall on its face with the factory rev limit setting! But heck it is a truck and I have put 2 Silverrados to shame in a couple of stop light Grand Prix situations - I did add a magna flow single outlet that provides nice music when your in the mood. The long stroke 5.4 has a striking melody that keeps me amused during the long winter months while my Fairmont is in storage.

Overall: Very happy with my truck for commuting, chaufering kids around, parts chasing for my project car, and towing. Sometimes I think about how cool it would be to have say a 5 series Beemer, but you know what - for everyday usage pick-ups are hard to beat, they can do just about anything, and I know my truck is very comfortable and looks great doing it!

Old 12-29-2004, 10:59 PM
2004 Screw
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome To FTE
And if you would like some help with that rev limiter, you came to the right place
I have a Diablo Predator and it woke my 5.4 4x4 Screw up and i got it @ FTE and at a great price, best on the net Just do a search for it and you might want to consider a suppertuner if you tow

Last edited by 2004 Screw; 12-29-2004 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:45 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Yes...Welcome to the only family Ford Truck site, on the net. The members in these forums are very knowledgeable about trucks; they will eagerly help you…with your question. If you have a minute check out the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through FTE. MotorHaven.com has everthing you need, for you truck.
Enjoy FTE we are happy to have you on board!~