Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Utah Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Utah Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wooddyusa

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2004, 01:08 PM
New User

cichosz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good mechanic in SLC area

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a trustworthy mechanic to do some work on my 98 explorer. Anywhere in the Salt Lake or Utah Lake valleys is good.

I failed the emmisions test - P0401, P0402, and P1401 errors! I don't want to replace the Cat if it is just a matter of an O2 sensor.

I am new to the area...

Thanks,

Jay
Old 12-29-2004, 01:46 PM
Elder User

mjwhip2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Welcome to FTE Jay. Sorry to hear of your troubles buy the only mech I know of who won't try to screw you over is up near Ogden. The thing that I don't understand is how can you get a P0401 (EGR flow insufficient) and P0402 (Excessive EGR flow) at the same time?
Well sorry I'm of absolutely no help. Might want to try your question up in the explorer forum.
Mike
P.S. Vote for our get together and we'll see you on the 8th.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:53 PM
New User

cichosz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks -
All I know is that those are the codes on my emmisions failure print out. Do you know what P1401 signifies?

Jay
Old 12-29-2004, 03:50 PM
Elder User

mjwhip2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
P1401, Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) sensor circuit high voltage detected.

I've been doing a little research for you. Apparently a bad DPFE sensor will sometimes throw all 3 of the codes you are seeing. Maybe this could be your lucky day.

Click here Maybe this could be your problem.
Good Luck
Mike
Old 12-29-2004, 05:00 PM
Postmaster

CobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to behold
DPFE sensors are simple to change.

Just out of curiosity - what engine are we talking about? I've got the factory manuals on Explorers, and will help any way you need.

And welcome to the Utah Chapter! Hope you come out on January 8th!

When you can't buy what you want, build what you want.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:32 AM
Posting Guru

mistakenID is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mistakenID is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Larry's Car Care in West Valley is a very reputable, honest guy. He is where I take my vehicles when there is a problem that I can't resolve on my own. He is a straight forward, no bullcrap kind of person. His son is taking over the business but he is like his dad but with a bit more tact The only problem is he is a very busy shop and sometimes it takes a couple of days to get your auto done.
Dads 87 F-250
4x4-5sp 6.9 Turbo
73,000 original miles
Old 12-30-2004, 09:35 AM
Postmaster

CobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to behold
Thats good to know. Since I moved here, I had not found a shop to go to. I do most of my own work anyway, but I always like knowing of a place 'just in case'.

I actually sent my Explorer back to Georgia to have the engine replaced with the new one. I talked to all the Ford dealerships, a couple of other shops, and did not find anyone I trusted to work on my ride. Granted - I am not stock and was looking for a perofrmance place, but I think the supercharger sitting on the Explorer make a couple of the dealerships nervous...

When you can't buy what you want, build what you want.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:33 AM
Posting Guru

mistakenID is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mistakenID is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I forgot to mention that for the diesel owners, Baker Diesel in Ogden is one of the best. They do mods, engine swaps, rebuilds, pump and turbo. Good bunch of guys.

For either shop that I mentioned it's best to get an appointment and have a ride home although Larrys will give you a ride within a reasonable distance.
Dads 87 F-250
4x4-5sp 6.9 Turbo
73,000 original miles
Old 01-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Senior User

Zane M is starting off with a positive reputation.
I second Larry's. Great guys, but they are busy(It took three days for them to get to emission test my '83 F250-I left it there as I expected it needed some "tweaking" to pass).
Old 01-26-2005, 09:47 AM
Senior User

roozter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Paul's Automotive and 4x4 in Sandy is another good family owned shop. I have taken my Jeep TJ, Ford Expedition, and when the warranty runs out, I will take my F250 6.0 to him if needed. I use him for stuff I can't or don't want to do.
Recently, he replaced my tranny and the clutch pack in the transfer case of my Expedition (more details here http://www.fordtrucks.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=326901 ). I trust him and he has been in the business a long time, don't know how many years, probably 30 or so.
He also helped me with exhaust problems and emissions on my Jeep TJ.
He is right next to Jordan Commons, 90th & State
255-7472

<b>2003 F-250 FX4 Lariat CC SB 6.0</b> <font color = red>SOLD 08/21/06</font> <b><font color = blue>:-(</b></font>
Truck Build Date: 01/07/03
Purchase Date: 09/01/04
Old 07-29-2005, 10:41 PM
Freshman User

WYO92350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks to cichosz for the question. I was going to post the same one. To mistakenID, could you recommend Larry's for my '92 F350 crew cab 460 ci gas? I am in need of someone to give it a general look and any help at all. Although a big truck and relatively old, the 460 is "guttless." That's the best way to describe it. Could anyone else recommend another shop? Paul's? At least one that would do good for this year/engine combination?

Thanks,
Going slow in Wyo.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:41 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Utah Chapter

Tags
1999, 4x4, automotive, code, differential, dpfe, e250, egr, escape, expedition, feedback, ford, p1401, pauls, pressure, sensor, throws