1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

v10 cylinder numbers and firing order!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 12:22 PM
oddjobs2do
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
v10 cylinder numbers and firing order!

Hello,

Anyone know the firing order and the cylinder numbers on a v10...it is a 200 f-350 4x4.... Also best way to remove coil and boot without damaging boot!

Thanks,
Doug

Old 12-29-2004, 12:37 PM
MARZ06
Senior User
1-6-5-10-2-7-3-8-4-9

Old 12-29-2004, 02:00 PM
oddjobs2do
Senior User
?????

nOW NOT TO SOUND DUMB..BUT THAT IS FIRING ORDER? hOW ARE THE CYL NUMBERED? SAY FROM LOOKING AT IT FROM THE FRONT i ASSUME?

tHANKS

Old 12-29-2004, 02:11 PM
oddjobs2do
Senior User
firing order, coils and plugs

thanks..

I was told the firing order is 1-6-5-10-2-7-3-8-4-9 but i asked because in a regular ol distributor car they can get out of order..but i guess without a distributor...who cares since the connectors are pinned to the rail....so all i need was the cylinder numbers you gave me....i have a code...obd2 says cyl number 3 misfire and the manual (for the reader) says check wire plug and coil....or o2 sensor... weell who knows how old the plugs are but I image it cant be so screwed up to misfire..never really seen that...plug wires usually...and there really qre no wires...so i was told on here before usually a coil...ikes 10 of them to go bad.....no moisture there and I cant see it at night...so I am going to replace it I guess. What are your thoughts on this? Is there a web site or a way to diagnose plug wear (I supose besides a mechanic....where i've tried with other vehichles and get 10 different responses about what the worn plug means)

PS gas mileage seems to have dropped to an all time low...and tranny slipps a little when misfiring...plus at cruise speed with slight acceleration you can feel the truck shake...all of which I assume is a misfire in that number 3 messin with it.....just curious your take..

Thanks again,

Doug

Old 12-29-2004, 02:57 PM
RJB1
Elder User
Don't know much about the v-10 but can you change the coil to another cylinder and see if the code changes to that cylinder? Same with plug.

Old 12-29-2004, 10:59 PM
oddjobs2do
Senior User
I think you can...assuming cyl 3..is on right side 3rd one back....I am not 100% sure on the cyl numbering

Old 12-29-2004, 11:56 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
firewall

5 10
4 9
3 8
2 7
1 6

radiator

How many miles on your plugs?

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-30-2004, 12:47 PM
oddjobs2do
Senior User
I do not know which i imagine means I should change them. I was told at 96k that they had been changed before my purchas and now have 113k. Do old plugs cause misfire/ mileage problems? I am wanting to check/ change today and not sure if I should go for the mileage saving type splits or bosh with the oxy sensor and guarantee or jist stick with factory basic.

Thanks,

Doug

Old 12-30-2004, 02:09 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bad plugs that are causing a misfire can kill your fuel mileage.
I would at least pull a couple plugs and see what they look like. If there is any doubt I would replace them.
The misfire on #3 is likely the spark plug or COP (Coil On Plug). Replacing the plug is cheapest. If that doesn't cure it then you should probably replace the COP. You can save time by replacing both pieces at the same time though.
For instructions on replacing them take a look at the How To near the top of the 97-03 F-150 forum. Your V10 is a bit different but close enough that most things there apply.
General consensus is to use Motorcraft plugs like your dealer sells. Other places sell them too though.
A misfire can also cause an O2 code so I wouldn't worry about that until the misfire is fixed. After the miss is fixed you should remove a battery terminal for 10 minutes or so to clear the codes. That way if the check engine light comes on again you'll have a better idea of what caused it.

Old 12-30-2004, 05:04 PM
oddjobs2do
Senior User
OK..I pulled coil 3 no damage. Checked plug..body was clean but inside stem was all rounded off and a red burned color....Pulled all 10 plugs....9 were autolite non platinum...1 was platinum...in back...probably original. I replaced coil no 3. I have cheap auto zone obdII so I will clear codes and then run again...right? same as disconnecting bat right? I occassionally get a misfire in coil 7 but I'll wait and see if it clears with new plugsa and save coil 3 in case I get an error on 7 i can try the old one 1st. The big tires on the truck make it tuff to get mileage..but on speedo check after 3 tickets I've gone 100 miles for every 89 indicated ...6 indicating 55 so I was getting 10.5 or aprox 11.8 adjusted for tires mpg highway no towing and about 9 city......We'll see if it goes up.

Thanks,

Doug

Old 11-13-2021, 01:35 PM
Jolene Molter
New User
Gas Mileage

Originally Posted by oddjobs2do
OK..I pulled coil 3 no damage. Checked plug..body was clean but inside stem was all rounded off and a red burned color....Pulled all 10 plugs....9 were autolite non platinum...1 was platinum...in back...probably original. I replaced coil no 3. I have cheap auto zone obdII so I will clear codes and then run again...right? same as disconnecting bat right? I occassionally get a misfire in coil 7 but I'll wait and see if it clears with new plugsa and save coil 3 in case I get an error on 7 i can try the old one 1st. The big tires on the truck make it tuff to get mileage..but on speedo check after 3 tickets I've gone 100 miles for every 89 indicated ...6 indicating 55 so I was getting 10.5 or aprox 11.8 adjusted for tires mpg highway no towing and about 9 city......We'll see if it goes up.

Thanks,

Doug
As far as the gas mileage goes, that sounds about right. I get 12 highway and 9 in town. With a misfire on #6 It went down to about 7 or 8mpg in town. Significant difference. I've never been able to get better than 13 on the highway.
Btw, I have a 2004 F-250 6.8L V10/gas.
Jolene

Old 11-13-2021, 08:55 PM
Djosbun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 155 Likes on 125 Posts
Jolene,

Any particular reason why you're resurrecting a 17 year old thread?

-- Dave

Old 02-24-2022, 08:31 AM
DAJOHN
New User
For guys like me who just purchased a v-10 excursion.

Old 02-24-2022, 08:02 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
Originally Posted by DAJOHN
For guys like me who just purchased a v-10 excursion.

Welcome to the forum, swing over into the Excursion section of the forum “King of SUVs”, we have tons of great big wagon info and advice, it’s the best EX community on the web!

Old 10-04-2022, 03:49 PM
Flyswatter
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oddjobs2do
thanks..

I was told the firing order is 1-6-5-10-2-7-3-8-4-9 but i asked because in a regular ol distributor car they can get out of order..but i guess without a distributor...who cares since the connectors are pinned to the rail....so all i need was the cylinder numbers you gave me....i have a code...obd2 says cyl number 3 misfire and the manual (for the reader) says check wire plug and coil....or o2 sensor... weell who knows how old the plugs are but I image it cant be so screwed up to misfire..never really seen that...plug wires usually...and there really qre no wires...so i was told on here before usually a coil...ikes 10 of them to go bad.....no moisture there and I cant see it at night...so I am going to replace it I guess. What are your thoughts on this? Is there a web site or a way to diagnose plug wear (I supose besides a mechanic....where i've tried with other vehichles and get 10 different responses about what the worn plug means)

PS gas mileage seems to have dropped to an all time low...and tranny slipps a little when misfiring...plus at cruise speed with slight acceleration you can feel the truck shake...all of which I assume is a misfire in that number 3 messin with it.....just curious your take..

Thanks again,

Doug
For any interested persons: The Ford Triton V-10 and misfires.
1. The coils are all the same, fits any cylinder.
2. Tritons have aluminum heads and eventually spit the sparkplugs out. The best repair kit is the Calvan Plug Insert, actually corrects Fords brainfart (that they refuse to correct) of 3 or 4 threads in the head bu replacing the plug hole with a permanent steel insert. The Calvan kit is not one of those cheap temp fixes It is what Ford SHOULD do.
3. The plug wells get debris collected at the bottom and the plug boots tend to leak after awhile. This causes misfires as the spark shorts over to the debris thru the boot. Replace the boots on the coil, no need to replace the coil unless it's proven bad and blow the debris out of the wells. CAUTION IF WASHING YOUR TRITON: Water on the top leaks into the plug wells and shorts the cylinder out. It will not run, or run very well until the wells are clean and dry. Keep all moisture out, including oil and grease.
4. Ford has always numbered their cylinders starting with 1 on the front passenger side, running in order back to the firewall (1,2,3,4,5 ....... 1,2,3,4..........1,2,3) then continues on to the front on the driver side with the last number at the firewall end. (6,7,8,9,10.....5,6,7,8.....4,5,6)

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: v10 cylinder numbers and firing order!