New Hampshire Chapter Join Chapter Leader: 7283-F250

1994 F-150 going to Maine- Tires? Inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 11:38 AM
beyeaj
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 F-150 going to Maine- Tires? Inspection?

Hi,
I'm moving to Maine in about a month, and need to get my truck ready for inspection. I have a few questions-

I have 1994 F-150 XL 4X4 4.9 with 5spd.
Tires on it are 31X10.5R15 but I read that Maine doesn't allow oversize tires. What would have been stock tire size for that truck?
Also, I have a custom snow plow mount I built that required me to take off the front bumper. Will it pass like that, or do I need to put the bumper back on and remove the plow mount for inspection?

The truck is in good mechanical shape, no rust. The body has a bunch of scratchs and some dents, but it's been a work truck for a long time. Anything else I should be doing to get ready for inspection in Maine? I'm hoping to get everything done before I move so I can just go right through.

I also have a 1991 chevy 2500 with a cracked frame (very front of passenger side) I welded it up and it passed here in PA, but will it go through in Maine? OVerall, how hard are inspections in ME?

If it matters I am going to Knox county.

Thanks for any help,
Jeff

Old 12-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maine doesn't allow oversized tires? It SNOWS alot there...what's their deal? Inhabitants have a legitimate reason to have larger tires...I'd have thought California would have done that first.

Old 12-04-2004, 05:53 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've never heard of maine not allowing oversized tires....doesn't sound right to me.

Old 12-04-2004, 08:00 PM
mclaughlin31
Senior User
Hey all,
They did start the no oversize tire rule this year.Just recently, can't remember when though. Up to then it was strictly a frame height rule. Even the parts stores(i.e. V.I.P.) will not install oversize tires that they can sell you, they will sell but can't or won't install. I would like to say there's ways around it(easy going garage..inspectors) but the state has really gotten out of hand lately hassling the garages, making them buy all the books and headlight alignment kits. Which is hard on the ma and pa shops.
This was one of the reason I decided to build a hot rod 77' instead of a 4X4, knowing what they would be doing.
Compared to alot of state, Maine is still fairly simple to pass inspection. Basic safety stuff, lights, blinkers, exhaust, not rust holes, and now the tire issue. At least we don't have smog tests. Good luck and hope this helps.
James

Old 12-05-2004, 02:47 PM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought it was decided that larger tires didn't always help in snow... Come to think of it, oversized tires aren't allowed in NH either. To get around it people have two sets of rims, the set they drive in and the set they get inspected in.

Old 12-06-2004, 08:17 PM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi beyeaj. .Welcome to FTE. .Tire sizes,I'm not sure of.Inspections,I'v done a few of those.lol.It seems they come out with a new rule every year.Last year it was no plugs in the tires.Inspections aren't too bad.I'v patched a couple of frames.I welded the patch on,ground it off real good,sprayed it with undercoating.Once you get a little road grime on it,it shouldn't be noticable anyway.It sounds like your moving to a small coastal town,so you might not have too many choices of where to take it for a sticker.The better you know the local mechanic,the more slack they will cut you.
I'v never tried to get a sticker without a bumper.I can find out though,I'm curious myself.We have a lot of potholes in Maine with the freezing and thawing,so most truck owners have two sets of tires and rims.I run 4 studded snow tires on stock rims in the winter, and 4 polished alum.rims with 60's in the summer.Personally,I don't like big tires in snow,espically with the way the outlying roads crowned as ours.Good luck with your move.

Old 12-07-2004, 12:11 PM
beyeaj
New User
Thanks for the advice....

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. It seems like no matter where you go the rules are a little bit different. I welded up mounts to put my bumper back on, it is mounted in front of the plow mount. Hopefully that will pass.
Thanks again,
Jeff

Old 12-11-2004, 04:15 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
I'd take a smog test in MA over no oversized tires any day....look at my truck...no issues in MA yet and it's been like that for a year and 1/2 now. Theres ways around emissions issues, there is no way around not being able to put on a big tire unless they just don't enforce it.

I put my 32's on for inspection time. Last year, the 1st shop denied me. The 2nd shop okayed the lift, but denied me on the fact that I have clear turn signals (even though they blink yellow). They do the same thing the stockers do but are not DOT approved. 3rd shop i went to last time took me in no problem. I got my 72 motorhome, which I had trouble starting infront of the inspector, passed w/o the guy even looking at the thing. The only time he even got near it was when he put the sticker on the window. I can't believe ME, out of all places, outlawed oversized tires...wtf is that crap

I guess ME people won't like it when I roll through in my gas guzzling 400hp truck pulling snowmobiles up to Rangeley and Lovell/Fryeburg. They will when I spend money in their state though...

MA suppositly outlawed aftermarket exhaust systems (havn't seen official documentation)....but they don't enforce it..atleast yet...and they probably won't. It's like they make a law just to make a law and make it look like they did something good. Our entire system is awful. I'm ready to move to Canada lol. Snow and cheap when I bring my US money over

Old 12-26-2004, 02:41 PM
brokebronco
Posting Guru
That's why I won't go back to Maine when I get out of the Army. I love the lack of lift laws here in Texas.

Chris

Old 01-01-2005, 11:29 PM
downhillpat
Elder User
That's ok..NH is requiring OBDII and smog tests this year...but for vehicles 96 and newer...older...I guess they pretty much don't care about... he he he...mine's an 87'...I hate politicians...no pond skimming with sleds in NH this year...since when do people die from pond skimming? they do that in the summer...only idiots do it in the winter and they don't care whether there's a law or not...matter of fact, that nutcase Kerry wanted to ban snowmobiles and abolish 2 stroke engines....insane bunch of people...

Old 01-03-2005, 05:56 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
yes i agree.