Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southern Region > Georgia Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Georgia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: ChiefM SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-28-2004, 07:28 PM
Freshman User

makz06 is starting off with a positive reputation.
N. GA Salvage Yards??

Hello all. I just drove my grandfather’s old 72 F100 back from TX to Gainesville, GA. My dad just retired and moved back to their house in Paris TX and finally decided that he didn't need the old truck any more and would surrender it to me. It's been sitting unused for nearly 10 years with only an occasional run around town by my brother or some light use at Christmas when my parents were home. It was my grandfather's pride and joy until he died in the late 70s but he and I used it on a lot of fishing trips and jaunts to his favorite watering hole up until then. It's been sitting in the sun all these years so has some surface rust from deteriorated paint on some spots on the hood and roof. Windshield seal cracked in all 4 corners and rainwater has been getting in and pooled enough to rust a couple holes in the driver side floorpan and passenger side rear cab corner. Looks like it will also need a small patch on both front fenders and front corners of the bed floor, as well as a new tailgate.

Anyone have suggestions for North Georgia 67-72 truck part dealers or salvage yards?
I had one recommendation for Pull a Part in Norcross, which I’ll be checking out soon. Any others?
Thanks a lot for any help.
Mark
Old 12-29-2004, 10:57 PM
Posting Guru

old87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Posting a bump to ya but I don't know anyone offhand.

LED ZEP
Old 12-30-2004, 09:34 AM
New User

Ga. Shinewagon is starting off with a positive reputation.
there's a few scattered around up by the Murphy-Hayesville Ga-NC border in the hills,

Towns County.....in Young Harris take Route 69 north about 5-8 miles off 76/515 Southern Highlands Trail there's one where the guy sits in his shed that is lined with stacked old car batteries wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling...and he is constantly firing up cigarettes....tried to explain explosive hydrogen sorts of gasses to him but he just cracked a big ol' semi-toothless smile...spat juice and said "Ain't blowed up yet"

he's got a decent selection of old trucks to pick from...but keep your hands off the sliding window in the f150 on the north side of the yard...

great prices bring your own tools....and he will steer you to other yards up there if you ask...they don't do a lot of advertising in these parts

Last edited by Ga. Shinewagon; 12-30-2004 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:06 PM
Elder User

captradiator is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mark,

There's one in White, only a few miles off I-75, called Old Car City USA. He even has golf cart tours of the yard. I believe that he has an active internet site.

2005 Sport Trac
1996 Bronco
1972 Bronco
1956 F-350 Wrecker
Old 12-30-2004, 10:29 PM
Freshman User

Drove up there today but no luck. Guy told me to check with Melvin's but called them and they only had the new ones for $400. Stopped by a restoration shop on Blue Ridge Hwy on the way back that had lots of truck parts out front. The guy had a complete longbed with tailgate sitting up on the hill in great shape. Said he sold it to someone a year ago for $100 and he still hasn't picked it up... Would have loved to have scored that.
Thanks for the information. Let me know if you come across one in the future.
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga. Shinewagon
there's a few scattered around up by the Murphy-Hayesville Ga-NC border in the hills,

Towns County.....in Young Harris take Route 69 north about 5-8 miles off 76/515 Southern Highlands Trail there's one where the guy sits in his shed that is lined with stacked old car batteries wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling...and he is constantly firing up cigarettes....tried to explain explosive hydrogen sorts of gasses to him but he just cracked a big ol' semi-toothless smile...spat juice and said "Ain't blowed up yet"

he's got a decent selection of old trucks to pick from...but keep your hands off the sliding window in the f150 on the north side of the yard...

great prices bring your own tools....and he will steer you to other yards up there if you ask...they don't do a lot of advertising in these parts
Old 01-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Senior User

a63unibody is starting off with a positive reputation.
Theres a yard on Hwy 411 just south of Chatsworth that has a bunch of Fords sitting out near the road, have never stopped, so I can't tell anymore than that.

Robert
Old 01-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Freshman User

Thanks, I'll try to get up there and check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a63unibody
Theres a yard on Hwy 411 just south of Chatsworth that has a bunch of Fords sitting out near the road, have never stopped, so I can't tell anymore than that.

Robert
Old 01-25-2005, 10:06 PM
Senior User

bulrydr_1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Check out Alewines in Athens area. Also there is a (at least there was a few years ago) a good yard in Dacula. Can't rember the name of it. There is another good one in Madison county (also and Alewine yard). They were indespensable when I built my 68 back in the early 90s
Old 01-26-2005, 12:13 AM
Freshman User

laswalker is starting off with a positive reputation.
There's a salvage yard about a mile from my house! I haven't been there yet. But not far from Gainesville. Just take Browns Bridge road across the lake toward Cumming, Ga. when you get to Hwy. 9 go north about a mile or two. It's called Tallent Brothers. That would probably be about 25 minutes from Gainesville. Don't know if they are open on Sat.

Larry
Old 01-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by laswalker
There's a salvage yard about a mile from my house! I haven't been there yet. But not far from Gainesville. Just take Browns Bridge road across the lake toward Cumming, Ga. when you get to Hwy. 9 go north about a mile or two. It's called Tallent Brothers. That would probably be about 25 minutes from Gainesville. Don't know if they are open on Sat.

Larry
Thanks Larry, I'm familiar with that one. Right down the road from where I work. I'm going to check with them about a newer F150 seat for mine. I've since found a decent tailgate.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:48 PM