General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

NO CAMSHAFT!!! in new BMW engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 12:46 AM
AZ4x4f150
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am attending UTI and taking Fords classes and taking BMW well
A BMW rep announced that the new beemer motors will not have a camshaft they will use servos to open the valves and the computer will adjust lift as to the driving you are doing. The servos are supposed to be infinite adjustable for better performance and fuel economy. I couldn't believe this when I heard it. What next???

Old 01-20-2002, 12:48 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This would open a whole new world for performance.... my only question/concern would be:

How do you make a servo that can stand up to the kind of abuse and the duty-cycle present in an internal combustion engine?

The jury would be out until the engines show no signs of longevity problems.....

Old 01-20-2002, 12:57 AM
AZ4x4f150
Elder User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 20-Jan-02 AT 01:59 AM (EST)]Ken we will be getting some of these engines in to work on I'll keep you posted. I am looking forward to looking at how exactly these work

I'm not exactly sure it is called a servo but that is what it looks like a little electic push motor with a roller on the end where it meets the rocker arm.

Old 01-20-2002, 10:38 AM
DWBon723
New User
Post NO CAMSHAFT!!! in new BMW engines

I think that technology such as that is long overdue in the automotive market,I am glad to hear that BMW has stepped up.I hope the system works or at least leads to a better system in the future.Just think of the possibilities of this and the affect it could have on engine performance.No longer would an engine be stuck with just one camshaft profile that is just a compromise at best. I read years ago that Ford was working on a system such as this but was unable to get it to function properly in a 12 volt configuration.Is the BMW system 12 volts or is it greater,just curious.Thanks for letting us know about the new technology. Doug

Old 01-20-2002, 10:47 AM
AZ4x4f150
Elder User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 20-Jan-02 AT 11:48 AM (EST)]the no camshaft system does run on 12 volt system and I am sorry they are called valve modules not servos. The new models also have 100 seperate computers to control the whole car. It is getting to the point you don't even open the hood anymore just plug it in.

Old 01-20-2002, 11:39 AM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Im not 100% , I recall reading all about this a few months ago , & Im pretty sure the Bwm technology you are referring to will use a 42 Volt electrical system . From what I gathered Bwm will be the first to switch over engine driven componenets like A/C , Ps , Valve train Etc so they are run electrically thus requiring 42 volts .

Old 01-20-2002, 12:17 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ford has already tried this. They did it to a ranger with a 4 banger and it worked ok but it was louder than a deisel. They are coming so far with varying lift and duration my mechanical means that I can't understand why they would switch to electrical. Has anyone read about the caddy that is supposedly coming out with 750HP??? All through variable valvetrain but will this ever happen. What will they make the block out of to sustain all of that power and how many lawsuits will they have for someone accidentally pushing the gas down too far and hitting a wall at 160MPH before they new what was going on.

Old 01-20-2002, 02:01 PM
flyboy2610
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the camp of those who need to see this technology proven in the field before I'd buy into it. I just wonder how a servo motor would hold up with the stress and heat of an engine. Look what happens to starter motors, and they are OUTSIDE the engine. Just not convinced...

Old 01-20-2002, 08:08 PM
lvstang
Senior User

Aren't the powerstroke diesels going to be camless in the very near future??

Old 01-20-2002, 08:15 PM
76RangerXLT
Senior User

computers suck. I'm sticking with carburators and camshafts, and the most complicated electrical systems being either the fusebox under the dash or the CD player, also mounted under the dash....

Old 01-20-2002, 09:19 PM
DantheMan
Senior User

-I just don't think that a computer comtrolled servo can stand the test of time. A silicone chip won't last as long an forged steel. On every EFI computer controlled vehicle I've had the computer gave out on me. Bronco, F-150, Nissan, Chevy Van, Etc... So now I have a '78 Ford and a '72 Jeep and not ONE bit on trouble.

-Dan

Old 01-20-2002, 09:21 PM
DantheMan
Senior User

-Of course auto-makers want you to buy a new vehicle every 2-3 years. It's a never-ending battle

-Dan

Old 01-20-2002, 11:28 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do I want to spend my time trying to figure out a 4 barrel carb or do I want a EFI system. I'll take the EFI anyday. A camshaft (or lack of one) that I can program?

I disagree that computers suck. They in fact offer more opportunity for power. Plug and play is alright with me. I just don't have the time to tweak a 4 barrel carb or screw around with differant camshafts to hit optimum power. But to each his own.

Old 01-22-2002, 06:58 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some 8 or 10 years ago there was a little clip in Popular Mechanics about using electromagnets to work the valves. Recently I saw something elsewhere about using a hydraulic system to work the valves. Whatever they use, what if the computer goes bad? Valves better clear pistons if open at TDC--just in case. Course, couldn't me much more risky than these rubber belt powered overhead cams that have been on four bangers for years.

INLINE SIX POWER!
300 Cubic Inches of Low RPM Truck Torque! And twin-I-beams too!

Old 01-22-2002, 04:02 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster

>Aren't the powerstroke diesels going to be camless in the
>very near future??

The new 6L Powerstroke will be released either late summer or early fall, and the camless version should be released around 2007. So you have awhile to wait!

'93 F-150 loaded and modified!

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/toydestroyer1

Quick Reply: NO CAMSHAFT!!! in new BMW engines