2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My black running board frooze up and broke!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 04:00 PM
mjbesen310
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My black running board frooze up and broke!

I'm so mad! I was looking at my truck today just in horror as it was all white full of salt and ice which I hate having on my truck! As I looked at my passenger side, I noticed my Black running bored has broke in two peaices! As I looked closely at it to see what happend, I noticed the bottom of the running boards have 2 inch holes in the bottom. I'm wondering from all the slush that had built up on it and then frooze over night as the temperatures dropped below -10 that the slush frooze under the running boards which made that one break in two?? Is that possiable? I don't think I hit any ice filled snow banks to have this break on me. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to get infor on it and see what he can do for me.

Also, I had after makert fog lights installed 4 weeks ago in between the 2 front bumpers to take up the room in there, and noticed today as all, that the lences of the fog lights have shatterd inside the lences! My truck doesn't like the cold freezing temperatures, to many things start breaking on it which is getting me mad! I try and take care of it so much and then the dumb weather has to wreak it!

For you guys that have Black plaistic running boards...have u had any problems like I had with them breaking?

Old 12-26-2004, 09:48 PM
mkoser
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hit any snowbanks/icebanks lately? I don't really see how ice forming or cold temps can cause your foglight lenses and running boards to break. I could be wrong, but I doubt. Some times even the softest snow can have a big enough impact to break stuff.
It was oficially -36 (that's 36 degrees below zero fahrenheit, not windchill, but actual temperature) here the othernight. I plugged my truck into to keep it warm (since I am on the fire department, and frequently start it up and slam it into gear in the middle of the night) you should have heard the truck moan and groan as it was trying to build speed. I thought I was in a 34 ford... not 04
MK

Old 12-27-2004, 07:51 AM
kittyhawk
Senior User
Time to move to some place warmer.

Old 12-27-2004, 02:51 PM
mjbesen310
Senior User
I must have hit a snow bank. I took it to the dealer today and had the maneger take a look at it. He felt some groves on the bottom of the running boards so said I did hit something as I was turning (probably a snow bank or ice bank) So I went to order a new one to only find out Ford does not sell just ONE of them, they sell them in sets so I would have to pay for a hole set brand new!!! I was mad, but then I steped back and thought to myself, if I'm going to have to pay for two more running boards I would like to chrome Tube ones for my Supercrew, turned out I ordered those instead of that plasitc running board again which will probably break on me in the future again. I hope these chrome ones don't bend and don't scatch! Driving through all this snow in the winter does make the truck bottom out in the snow and thats probably the case that broke it to begin with.

Guys with Chrome Tube Running boards...how do you like them so far? Any problems with them as far as rusting...denting...scatching...oxidating??

Old 12-27-2004, 03:11 PM
JDaddy
Senior User
I have chrome ones from Ford now for two winters on my truck and no problems at all. I live in WI so I get some snow and they have been great.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:47 PM
kize
Senior User
Originally Posted by mjbesen310
I must have hit a snow bank. I took it to the dealer today and had the maneger take a look at it. He felt some groves on the bottom of the running boards so said I did hit something as I was turning (probably a snow bank or ice bank) So I went to order a new one to only find out Ford does not sell just ONE of them, they sell them in sets so I would have to pay for a hole set brand new!!! I was mad, but then I steped back and thought to myself, if I'm going to have to pay for two more running boards I would like to chrome Tube ones for my Supercrew, turned out I ordered those instead of that plasitc running board again which will probably break on me in the future again. I hope these chrome ones don't bend and don't scatch! Driving through all this snow in the winter does make the truck bottom out in the snow and thats probably the case that broke it to begin with.

Guys with Chrome Tube Running boards...how do you like them so far? Any problems with them as far as rusting...denting...scatching...oxidating??
They are blowing smoke up your dress! If the running boards are factory- they can be ordered seperate.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:04 PM
edman04
Senior User
I work at Ford Research and Engineering - every vehicle is tested to the extremes of heat and cold in special climate chambers.

Rest assured, with proper maintenance, you guys can't live anywhere your F150 can't handle.

Old 01-06-2005, 06:45 AM
lardman
Elder User
I can't see the plastic running board breaking in half...if anything it will heave and bubble out. No smoke blowing going on here, the boards are sold in SETS ONLY. The Ford Accessories division releases the kit (2 running boards and hardware) and there are no service parts for the kit. When I bought my tonneau cover I was missing a corner bracket. I had to return the entire kit and get a new one...no service parts. The base number for the running boards is 16450 (you have to specify the cab style), My dealer sells them for $292.40. Good luck!

Old 01-06-2005, 10:03 AM
easterisland
Senior User
Originally Posted by lardman
No smoke blowing going on here, the boards are sold in SETS ONLY. The Ford Accessories division releases the kit (2 running boards and hardware) and there are no service parts for the kit. When I bought my tonneau cover I was missing a corner bracket. I had to return the entire kit and get a new one...no service parts. The base number for the running boards is 16450 (you have to specify the cab style), My dealer sells them for $292.40. Good luck!

Another reason to buy aftermarket. You can get replacement parts when they break. Most of the aftermarket companies want to keep the customer happy and will go out of their way to help you...

In my part of the country for $249 you can get polished stainless steel step bars installed.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:13 PM
UBDog
New User
I had Westin chrome bars istalled on mine right after I got my truck... I think it was about $275, installed. They are holding up better than I thought. I really like em. And, then they are clean, they really look good.