Propane Injection????

Old 12-23-2004, 08:59 PM
F-250 diesel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propane Injection????

Has anyone installed the Bullydog or any type of propane injection to their 7.3?? just wondering b/c i heard it gives alot more power while using very little propane. and how much does it cost, i remember seeing on the tv show TRUCKS they put the Bullydog system in the duramax and got dramatic power gains, and its only around 700 bucks i heard. the only thing is that the tank and all that weighs alot and where would you mount it if you dont want to put it in the bed???could you put it underneath??

Old 12-23-2004, 09:19 PM
kilapapipa
Senior User
I have a buddy that tells me that you better have good injectors to use propane or you will fry them.

I have heard that it burns the diesel to 90%+ with cooler EGT's as well.

Old 12-23-2004, 09:20 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Several folks here use Propane injection and I am in the process of installing it. Probably the most knowledgable person here on the subject is Quadzilla.
He runs a Powershot 2000, same system I am putting in. Its a vapor phase system and has some advantages, including saftey, over the Bullydog which is a liquid phase system. Either works well if set up properly but if not properly set up they each can ruin your engine.

Old 12-24-2004, 05:53 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
I put a Powershot2000 system on my truck two years ago, and have found it to be a great way to add power. Installing the system is really quite easy. Deciding what tank(s) you're going to use, and where you'll put them will take a little thought, though. I decided to get a 9.9 gallon Manchester tank, and mount it under the truck, so I could keep the bed clear. Now for your specific questions:
i heard it gives alot more power while using very little propane.
I've seen a 80hp increase on a dyno with the propane. That's significant. A lot of chips/tuners advertise a 60/80/100/125hp increase, but they sure don't dyno like that. A 100hp chip will show a 20hp increase on the dyno. This is a true 80hp increase on the ground. Yeah, way more than a chip.
In every day use, I go more than 2000 miles before needing to refill the propane tank.
how much does it cost, i remember seeing on the tv show TRUCKS they put the Bullydog system in the duramax and got dramatic power gains, and its only around 700 bucks i heard.
You can keep the cost down considerably if you're willing to use BBQ bottles in the bed of the truck, but I wanted a more permanent installation, so going with the Manchester under the bed ran my initial expense up, but I have no regrets at all. My total cost for the system, tank, other modifications to improve the system: less than $1000. My tank alone was around $300.
the only thing is that the tank and all that weighs alot and where would you mount it if you dont want to put it in the bed???could you put it underneath??
Click here for a close up of my tank under the truck.
Click here for a long range shot of the driver's side. The tank isn't too obtrusive, I guess.

Old 12-24-2004, 09:14 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 778 Likes on 594 Posts
I sure like your truck Quadzilla. Very nicely done.

Old 12-24-2004, 10:06 AM
F-250 diesel
Senior User
Quadzilla, where did you get your kit from and did you have to put different injectors in it or no? and did you install it?

Old 12-24-2004, 11:45 AM
cowboy49
Senior User
heres something to consider, go to a junkyard find a wrecked motorhome that snag the propane bottle off of it fo way cheap, get it inspected fo 20 bucks that mount it under youre cab

Old 12-24-2004, 04:01 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
I sure like your truck Quadzilla. Very nicely done.
Thanks, Special "K"!
Quadzilla, where did you get your kit from
I bought the system and tank from Dale Isley at TYMAR. There's a lot more to TYMAR than just intakes. That's why a TYMAR sticker is the only one on my truck.
did you have to put different injectors in it or no?
Stock injectors, for now. Baby Swamps are in my future, though.
did you install it?
With the help of a friend, yes. I swung through Spokane prior to getting the system, and Dale took some measurements of my truck, so he could fabricate the mounting brackets. After having them powdercoated, he shipped them to me. The whole installation took about 4-5 hours.

Old 12-24-2004, 04:08 PM
F-250 diesel
Senior User
hmmm, pretty sweet, i guess im gonna have to look into that lol, and whats the website for powershot?

Old 12-24-2004, 04:08 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by F-250 diesel
Quadzilla, where did you get your kit from and did you have to put different injectors in it or no? and did you install it?
I also purchased my Powershot 2000 from Dale and saved $50 over ordering it from the manufacturer.

Powershot web site is http://www.dieselperformanceproducts.com/home.html

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 12-24-2004 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:10 PM
F-250 diesel
Senior User
who is this Dale guy that your talking about? and does he have a website???

Old 12-24-2004, 06:43 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Dale Isley is the man behind TYMAR. He's best known for his intakes, but also sells propane systems, chips, exhaust systems, etc. His phone number is 509-922-8785.

Old 12-24-2004, 07:02 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
dale isley

tymarperformance.com

webpage isnt much right now

509 922 8785

im gonna jump on the propane bandwagon here soon. havent decided between propane or intercooler first. seen a couple used setups on the dieselstop for sale

hey quad did you intercool that truck yet?

Old 12-24-2004, 07:58 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So Quad. this seems to be getting into an interesting thread. I have all this extra money BURNING a hole in my pocket, and I pretty much have a chip picked out, but do you think that the propane would be a better idea, I am not towing anything. strictly a rice racer, weekend go fast machine.

after reading this thread, and a few others on the propane injection I am now leaning towards the 'pane before I get a chip, strictly because the gains of propane are far better then that of a chip, is this correct?? what did you do first and what would you do if you had to build your truck all over again, chip or pane first???

Diesel Rod

Old 12-24-2004, 08:19 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
hey quad did you intercool that truck yet?
No, but it's on my list of things to try to get done this year. Also on the list are a BTS tranny, and Baby Swamp injectors.
So Quad. this seems to be getting into an interesting thread. I have all this extra money BURNING a hole in my pocket, and I pretty much have a chip picked out, but do you think that the propane would be a better idea, I am not towing anything. strictly a rice racer, weekend go fast machine.

after reading this thread, and a few others on the propane injection I am now leaning towards the 'pane before I get a chip, strictly because the gains of propane are far better then that of a chip, is this correct?? what did you do first and what would you do if you had to build your truck all over again, chip or pane first???
My truck might have been a little different than yours when it was stock, so let's walk through my decision making at that time. My truck is a '95, which means it had the TEE5 box code. That happens to be a very powerful code, but also is the least user-friendly. The shift parameters, and glow plug logic are downright hideous. I wanted a chip first, because I could change the personality of the truck, as well as add more power. By installing a TDE0 code chip, I got more power than the TEE5 had stock, plus I got a very driveable truck. The glow plug logic is far superior, and the torque convertor lockup characteristics are also the best available on a OBS truck. After doing the routine mods: intake, exhaust, gauges, tranny mods, and chip, I was ready for more power to go with the new personality of the truck. Adding propane last made sense in my situation. It might not in yours. I'd get the other foundation laid first, and if you're happy with the box code of your truck, you don't have to have a chip to get the benefits of propane. A chip that's programmed with propane as part of the equation will enhance the benefit, but isn't a prerequisite.
Another thing to consider..... A chip that is programmed for use without propane will need to be reprogrammed for use with propane. If you want to get the chip first, verify that the person programming the chip can later reprogram it for propane use. Most all chip programmers can do this, but it's still wise to check first.

Last edited by Quadzilla; 12-24-2004 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Incomplete response

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Propane Injection????