Will The Add-on's Be Worth The $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 06:13 PM
BSHORT
Cargo Master
Received 1,362 Likes on 704 Posts
Will The Add-on's Be Worth The $$$?

I've Been Thinking About The Performance Add-on's For A While And Now Have The Money To Do It, But Will It Be Worth It? The Truck Is An 01' F150 Reg Cab Sht Bed Auto W/3.31 Gears. Will The Intake, Headers, And Chip Make A Worth While Difference? And What About Reliability And Durability? Exhaust Leaks Are Common With Headers And I Don't Want That At All. I've Read About Putting Tape On A Chip To Hold It In, Sounds Unreliable In Harsh Conditions. In The Long Run, Will The Components Last As Long As The Vehicle?

Old 12-23-2004, 07:55 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Read the "stickies" at the top of the forum. Get the intake, exhaust, and if you get a chip, get a dual stage, so you can switch back to regular fuel when you want to. Header's will benefit you little and cost much. Maybe some high flow cats, as the stock ones seem prone to breaking up. That will satisfy most people, if not , some gears, LSD,and maybe even a cam will be in your future. My first suggestions will give good power, mileage, and reliability, and "bang"for your buck. After that, the changes get more expensive, and the gains get smaller,unless your supercharging.

Old 12-23-2004, 07:59 PM
BSHORT
Cargo Master
Well, Most Aftermarket Part I've Had In The Past Really Are Not Worth Their Weight. I Always Tell Myself That I Will Leave The Next Vehicle Alone, But I Always Want To Change Something. When You Get To Changing Cams And Such, You Might As Well Buy Something With More Power To Begin With.

Old 12-23-2004, 08:05 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
I agree, that's why I only have an exhaust,because I "need" to hear my engine,and a K&N filter, and a modified air box to allow more air in. I get between 19-22mpg, my truck is and '02 and has over 145k on the clock.

Old 12-23-2004, 08:16 PM
BSHORT
Cargo Master
I Know..i've Considered Trading This Truck In, But It Has Always Been Faithfull To Me And I Hate To Let Her Go. She Only Has 46k On Her And Has Never Let Me Down. Just Curious If Simple Upgrades Would Be More Enjoyable When Passing The Farm Implements That Are Always Running Down The Two Lanes?

Old 12-23-2004, 08:39 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
I think so. Take the exhaust for example. You can make it really loud and tick off all yur neighbor's. You can make it have a low faint rumble or anything in between. Either choice will sound better, and get better mileage, and better performance than the stock "monster" muffler that was on my truck. That thing was the size of a dump truck muffler! The intake will give you the "Great Sucking Sound" when you really mash on it, and it will boost power too. Either way I would use a K&N or similar filter because they are reusable. I can buy a cleaning kit and clean my filter 5 times for the price of one paper filter, and they flow better than paper.Just don't over oil them.

Old 12-23-2004, 08:42 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
BTW, I hate to double post, and please don't take this the wrong way, but what's up with all the capitalization. The first letter of every word is a capital. Is this a setting on your computer, or do you do that manually?? Just curious.

Old 12-23-2004, 09:05 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree w/ Thomas.
Unless you are going to go spend lots of $$$.
Exhaust, intake kit (here's the one I bought and like:
http://www.motorhaven.com/product.ph...cat=161&page=1 )
and maybe a chip.
After that the gains get much more epxensive.

Old 12-24-2004, 03:40 AM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont really agree. Elecrtic fans, and UDPs are supposedly about the same gain, if not more, than youd gain with just exhaust, or just an intake. The udp is like 80 dollars, and you can hash out an efan for about 110 dollars. Some food for thought.

Garrett

Old 12-24-2004, 10:22 AM
bratman2
Senior User
Underdrives will be about 150-160 for a 2001. I would install the electric fans over intake or exhaust, I believe their more hp per dollar than an intake or exhaust. Of what I have installed the 9100 programmer would be top dog,20+hp, electric fans, maybe 10 hp, underdrives I would guess 7-8 hp, everything after that I believe to be less for more money. I do have the MAC intake and I noticed slightly more umph from the pulleys.

Old 12-24-2004, 10:36 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
If you just want a basic power gain, get the Diablo chip. That's a gauranteed gain in power in my opinion. I've had a Diablo chip for 1 year, and it's the most powerful (cost-effective) thing I've ever put in anything. 19 rwhp/28rwtq gain with a chip for a V6 is amazing. It's very reliable even if you have to put tape on it (which you don't really, but anything helps). My first mods were the Intake, Chip, and Exhaust and I dropped a half second in my quarter mile with that setup.

Old 12-24-2004, 02:18 PM
BSHORT
Cargo Master
Travlnman, I Switch Back In Forth Between A Work Program That Only Operates With All Caps. When I Switch Back, The Caps Stay On And The Thread Somehow Caps The First Letter And Lower Cases The Rest. Sorry If Its Annoying...anyway, My Truck Has A 40 Series Flowmaster Sido Already. One Big Concern Is Smog Testing. Some Areas In The County Have A Dyno Test Proceedure ,not Yet Where I Live, But I'm Sure It's On The Way. Maybe I'll Research The Chip Route Some More In The Chip Forum.

Old 12-26-2004, 09:55 AM
oldman3000t
New User
I feel if you are doing this for your enjoyment go for it, to save money not sure.

1. I have a 1999 F150 with 4.2 and I love the V-6, I get around 15 to 16 mpg, if I put the electric fans on my truck and at best case I get maybe 3 extra mpg but this is asking a lot, then if gas is 2.00 per gallon it would take about 20000 miles of driving to break even, if gas goes down maybe around 1.75 then you have to drive 30000 miles, but at 2.50 you need only 10000 miles. This base on $350.00 fans with your labor of love to your trusted F150. In San Diego this would work, but maybe in Texas or some other place it wouldn't.

Mike
San Diego

Why fix it if it's not broken

Old 12-26-2004, 02:13 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Now,not to contradict myself, but I would love electric fans.If for no other reason, to stop the roaring of the fan at cold startup.If I gain a few hp's and a 1% increase in mileage, then all the better.Oldman300t, I drive about 50k per year.MY '02 has over 145k on it, so I would realize the payoff a lot sooner. You are right, the circumstances would be different in every case, and you would have to do the math yourself, and see if it is worth it.

Old 12-27-2004, 02:02 AM
homer4.2
Posting Guru
Wow you drive about 1,000 miles a week then? Is that just to work and back or what?