Carbon on Valves

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 10:07 PM
fordguy21
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Carbon on Valves

HI! guys picked my 1997 f-150 4.2L SC, from the service center at the dealer yesterday, it had a leaking intake gasket. I was told by the tech that there was a mis under load like there was carbon on the valves.

He reccomended that I get some thorttle body cleaner and spray in the throttle body and wipe the inside with a rag and then spray down inside the trottle body and let it sit over night. Then start the truck up and let it burn out.

Does this sound like some possible solution?

by doing this would this harm anything?

Is this something that I would do with TB cleaner or should I use something else like seafoam in aerosal form?

WHat are you guys thoughts?

Thanks a trizillion

Old 12-23-2004, 06:29 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm. Dead miss like carbon on the valves? I'm not sure I buy that. Carbon build up can cause increased compression ratio and/or create hot spots, both of which can causing pinging (detonation and/or preignition).
You can do a search in this forum on Seafoam and you'll see plenty to read. I use it and am satisfied with the results.
I'd strongly suggest new plugs and wires on your '97 if they haven't been replaced before. They are known to cause missing, rough idle, etc, when they get old.
I suggest Motorcraft replacements.
Let us know if you have more questions, or if you find the cause and get it fixed.

edit to add: The TB cleaner will work fine. I have used it before and had no problems. Be sure to get the kind thatis "safe for all intakes." Seems like the insides of some (or all) the 4.2 throttle bodies are coated with a surface that can be dmaged by harsh cleaners.

Old 12-23-2004, 07:49 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Brian is correct. Some throttle bodies are coated with teflon, supposed to keep carbon from building up, and hey, as a side benefit your eggs won't stick either. Seriously though, it still needs to be cleaned. They are very easy to remove. Just be careful when handling the TPS (throttle position sensor), as they are very fragile.After your done, run a can of seafoam through it,let it sit for about 30 min, fire it up (outdoors, not in garage)and let the smoke begin.Drive it down the highway about 5 miles, come back , change your plugs , wires, and then your oil. Yes, you should change your oil after using seafoam. That's why I time it right before an oil change. Most assuredly this will cure your miss. If it does not, I would suspect the coil pack.

Old 12-23-2004, 11:03 PM
fordguy21
Senior User
About the part about spraying TB cleaner into the throttle body and leaving it over night.
Will this harm or help?

Old 12-24-2004, 01:26 AM
f100guy
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
if you want to clean the valves, get a quart of auto tranny fluid and while running, take the brake booster vacuum line off of the booster and suck about 1/4-1/2 of the auto tranny fluid. the truck will start to smoke for a few minutes. don't forget to rev the motor a little to keep it running. this should clean your chambers. do this when you are at running temperature. auto tranny fluid has a lot of detergents. i do it from time to time. but you probably have a cracked spark plug or burned wire instead of carbon though. efi engines burn pretty clean, i took the heads off of my 90 5.0 efi and there was not any carbon on any valves.

Old 12-25-2004, 09:50 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
The only reason I would not do that, is that it may damage your converters. In small amounts, it may be safe, but why risk it. Seafoam, and many products like it are safe for O2 sensors and converters, and work just as well or better. That's just my .02.

Old 12-25-2004, 10:18 PM
f100guy
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
i did not think about that but i would still do it and do with my 95 mustang and my other 89 mustang but it has no cats

Old 12-26-2004, 02:15 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
That's cool, sometimes these modern vehicles can be a pain when it comes to doing things the way I used to do them.

Old 12-26-2004, 02:26 PM
image91
New User
would you know anything about a V6 fordexplorer sport. it will not start since it has been cold..any ideas?