weigh stations

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 11:14 PM
rotti
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weigh stations

Im moving from MA to SC towing cargo trailer. Do I have to pull into weigh stations? (2005 f 350 18ft. trailer)

Old 12-21-2004, 11:19 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
No, you don't. This debate comes up from time to time, and I have actually contacted several governmental agencies in the past to answer this question. You only have to pull into a weigh station if you are towing for profit. The reason they don't say "commercial" vehicles only is that it would not include certian non-commercial traffic that is subject to these regulations.

Old 12-22-2004, 12:16 AM
rotti
New User
Thanks ... What a relief, dont want to pay a moving company. They quoted me 10,000 for move. Buying trailer and doing it myself. Even if it takes a few trips ill sell the trailer when im done and still be ahead thousands!!

Old 12-22-2004, 08:05 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
rotti

When I moved form MN to NE I just rented Uhaul trailers one way, it took 3 trips but worked out great

Denny

Old 12-22-2004, 08:16 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
I think a rental truck is a better idea. IMHO

John

Old 12-22-2004, 11:21 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jowilker
I think a rental truck is a better idea. IMHO

John
Have you priced rental trucks lately? It cost me about 1/4 the price to rent a trailer to move to TX from CT.

Old 12-22-2004, 11:35 AM
ibf250
Senior User
first off, no you dont have to stop at weigh stations. johnsdiesels post explains that. and i would look seriously at buying a trailer and reselling later, i like your idea there(personally id keep the trailer though). i had to take a uhaul from east tennessee to eastern oklahoma for work one time, and it cost 1200 dollars to get it there one way, and then 1200 on the way back too. and if you have to make 3 trips youre already at 3600 dollars, and thats just halfway across the counry. youre trip will be twice that far. why rent something when you can own it for a little more? pull behind uhauls are great for short trips or small loads, and the driveable kind are good for people that dont own a truck. other than that i wouldnt fool with them.

Old 12-22-2004, 11:37 AM
ibf250
Senior User
sorry, misread the post. saw sc and thought southern california. im guessing south carolina. either way, still wouldnt use a uhaul.

Old 12-22-2004, 11:50 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ibf250
sorry, misread the post. saw sc and thought southern california. im guessing south carolina. either way, still wouldnt use a uhaul.
Who would you use then? I personally think that there is a maximum IQ that can not be exceeded by U-Haul employees set somewhere around "functionall," but they have a monopoly in the trailer rental market. Ryder does not rent to individuals anymore, and Budget only rents trucks, no trailers. Believe me, I checked around before using U-Haul the last time.

Makes sure you calculate how much it will cost to make multiple trips to the cost of a truck. It may end up being cheaper for you to rent a truck, but make sure you account for the lousy fuel mileage that most of those moving trucks get.

Old 12-22-2004, 12:01 PM
ibf250
Senior User
--Who would you use then?

i would buy my own trailer. even if i turned around and resold it. it cost us 2400 dollars to drive to oklahoma and back for one trip. you can buy a nice 32 foot enclosed gooseneck trailer for 4500 dollars used around here. a good 26-28 foot pull behind runs about 3000 dollars. if i didnt own a truck, and just wanted to move, id rent one of the driveable ones. but if i already owned a truck, id just buy a trailer. ive rented a pull behind one time. we were moving, i didnt have an enclosed trailer, and it was just a 50 mile trip. the uhaul cost me about 60 dollars. cant buy a trailer for 60 bucks, so it was worth it there.

Old 12-22-2004, 06:06 PM
mrc59
Tuned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to be contrary, but the weighmaster along I-70 in Maryland told me if you're over the min GCVW weight (5 tons in this case), you should pull through. Most likely, they will wave or green light you right through. But you must not bypass the station. I told him I was non-commercial and was just hauling a load of mulch for my yard in a rig that's heavier than 5T loaded, and pretty close to that empty.

You must also stop if in a rental truck, e.g., Ryder or Penske.

You should not be overweight in any case...

Old 12-22-2004, 06:35 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Please post links to this info. I emailed the Virginia DOT when this subject came up last spring and under no circumstances were you to pull in if you were a non-profit, con-commercial vehicle. One particular FTE member from VA insisted that you did need to stop, but obviously you do not.

Old 12-22-2004, 08:07 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
re:U-Haul for long hauls

At $0.50 a miles, a long haul adds up for a straight truck and in the flat rate box trucks/vans you can only fit so much. I have been appalled at how lousy the vehicles are kept and they even tried to rent one to my wife that had an expired sticker/registration and non-working lights.

Not to mention that many trailers you see on the side of the road with a blown axle and no tire left when the bearing locked up have the name U-Haul on the side.

If you can, I think buying a trailer is the way to go. Just make sure you buy locks for the hitch and pin and insure your trailer AND its contents. You would not be the first person to have the truck or the trailer stolen or burned to the ground with everything you owned in it.

Old 12-22-2004, 08:16 PM
utahtom
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some of us do have to stop...
If your load exceeds the width restrictions. Many larger boats fit in this category. Certain rules apply (oversize signs, no towing after dark, etc.) A couple of months ago someone posted a link that had all of the State's maximum allowed widths. Surprisingly, quite a few States maximum width is 8 feet- Most are 8'6".

Funny thing, most larger boats easily exceed 9 feet or more (some 11+ feet!)
That is the topic of conversation when you see a Highway Patroller talking with the driver pulling a large boat on the side of the interstate

Last edited by utahtom; 12-22-2004 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:37 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
An oversized trailer/boat is a completely different animal. I'm talking about the typical cargo trailer or RV. As I said earlier, there are requirements for certain non-commercial traffic, but a boat really has nothing to do with him in this case and the trailer he's talking about will not be oversize so he doesn't have to stop.

Quick Reply: weigh stations