6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Rumor or truth?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 08:28 PM
ericmj
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rumor or truth?

What have YOU heard about the big 6.0 recall this summer?

Old 06-01-2005, 08:37 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Truthful rumors maybe? Anything from head gasket, to head studs replacement to computer replacement.

Actually, a recall rumor will remain a rumor until Ford officially makes an announcement. Anything else is, at best, informed speculation.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:14 AM
jackofalltrades
Posting Guru
I've had some really good dialog/emails with my local service manager of my small town dealership. He hasn't heard of anything. Even rumorvill within Ford. Nothin. And I'm pretty good friends with some other people at the dealership. They've heard nothing. I also have a friend that sells to most all the dealerships north of Seattle. I asked him to put the word out a couple weeks ago asking about this rumor'd big recall. No news is good news!

Old 06-02-2005, 07:08 AM
jeffwoehrle
Senior User
Why would Ford recall a perfectly good engine? Sure there are those who have had more than their share of problems, but the vast (and I do mean VAST) majority of 6.0 owners have had no issues whatsoever...me included.

There is no amount of testing that can compare with putting the engine (and truck) into the hands of consumers. Only then can the full scope of possible uses (and failures) be revealed and examined.

I'm not discounting the problems some have had with their trucks. However, I think it's safe to say that any mechanical device with this level of complexity is bound to have problems develop early in the release. Par for the course.

A recall? No. A better product as a result of the experience? You bet.

Old 06-07-2005, 02:18 PM
jfralph
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From my dealership SM, a recall is scheduled, but has been put on hold until ford can produce sufficient "parts" to take care of the initial flood of vehicles. The SM does not have any idea what the recall is going to fix, like he said, could by something minor like an emissions item, or major like discussed earlier i.e. a computer or such. Whatever, my dealership will not even look at my truck until the recall has been done on the truck. So until then, I am left with my $47k guttless truck.

BTW, my dealership has been able to correct some of the "other" issues with the truck, but power or mileage are still way off from what they should be.

As far as the post about why would ford recall the 6.0? Ford wouldn't. If ford could get away with it, they would not even fix them. But the FEDS!!! will dictate this recall. That is why I am not sure if it might be just an emissions issue, or safety concern. Not a driveability issue. Only time will tell.

Last edited by jfralph; 06-07-2005 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:32 PM
LOOnatic
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I think the feds are onto the failing EGR's and because this reason it's now a crucial emmissions factor.
So now their busting Fords ***** and hence a potential recall.

Having said that, i have no proof.......

Old 06-07-2005, 02:52 PM
Pittsburgh-05HD
Senior User
I think its absolutely false. I know several guys at the dealership, not just "how you doing guys", but guys I regularly hang out with. not one has heard anything about a recall. In addition, they have not had many problem they tell me with the 6.0 other than in 03. They are a HUGE dealership also. I told them about the head gasket problem and they looked at me like I was making it up. He said he may have changed a handfull of head gaskets in the last 3 years on these trucks.

Old 06-07-2005, 03:04 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lets not forget that for every one bad truck there are probably 100 to 1000 good ones. The guys that have problems just bitch more.

Old 06-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Fish370ec
Junior User
I can't comment on the rumor but my buddy at Ford told me that the 06 Superduty with the 6.0 is really dialed in. He highly recommended that I pick one up. I currently drive an 03 V-10. When I bought it, he told me not to get the 6.0 due to it being a brand new engine. In any event, he says 05s have been very very reliable but the 06 is even better. When I return from this business trip, I guess I'll go see my dealer...

Old 06-07-2005, 03:14 PM
jeffwoehrle
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fish370ec
... In any event, he says 05s have been very very reliable but the 06 is even better. When I return from this business trip, I guess I'll go see my dealer...
From my post above:

"A recall? No. A better product as a result of the experience? You bet."

Old 06-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Pittsburgh-05HD
Senior User
Well since the 05 and 06 are the exact same truck with no changes. i would have to believe they are identical

Old 06-07-2005, 04:36 PM
juniorf350
Senior User
there is a recall on its way i was told it will be in the first part of july. regarding wiring harness and a flash. the gm at boyer ford said ford is busy building up parts for the recall.

Last edited by juniorf350; 06-07-2005 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:35 PM
jfralph
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious, some pretty confident opinions on NO RECALL!!! Just wondering if someone may have to eat there words in a couple of months. Or, maybe, they need to get some new contacts at the dealership (Pittsburg-05HD).

Old 06-08-2005, 01:36 PM
jeffwoehrle
Senior User
Hey, what I'm saying is that all this talk of a recall makes it sound as if every other truck has major problems and is out of service. I have four of these engines (only one in a pickup) and they are all flawless.

If a drip on the bellhousing qualifies for a line-wide recall, then I stand corrected. But all of mine (and everyone's I know) work great. Other than on these forums I have heard of no problems.

I'm not saying problems don't exist, but to read this site makes one think that Ford has a clunker on their hands. That's just not the case. I love this engine and it has worked well for me. Not only would I buy another, I did. Three more times.

If a recall addresses a wire chafing issue, or some other part not time or safety definite, I would question the need for a "recall" per se. If Ford decides to replace all the EGR valves to keep up with emissions nonsense, then that's another issue. But these threads make it seem like we are all in line for new engines because of Ford's f&ckup.

Just not true.

BTW, the look on the kid's face as I smoked his Camaro last night on the way home from Home Depot was priceless.

This is the engine that is so horrible?

Old 06-08-2005, 01:57 PM
resqdawg3
Senior User
Hmmm....this is interesting. Wonder what they're going to replace if this happens, and what model years it's going to affect.

Quick Reply: Rumor or truth?