Bronco II Ford Bronco II

Duraspark conversion?

Old 12-18-2004, 01:30 AM
xtc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duraspark conversion?

My son has a 1985 Bronco II with 2.8, 5 speed manual transmission and stock 2150A carb. We just did the duraspark conversion and used the HEI ignition module. What should we set the base timing at for this set up? What is the procedure for setting timing? It started right up first try and idles good but we need to get a timing light. Any help is appreciated.

Old 12-18-2004, 06:23 PM
hotrodmerc
Senior User
It should run good at 10 or 12 degrees as long as there is no detonation.

Old 12-18-2004, 06:32 PM
kernel-panic
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
down the road, i'd look at converting to TBI or some other fuel injection vice keeping the Holley/Motorcra(p)ft 2150A. The choke plates tend to stick and flood the engine.

Old 12-18-2004, 07:24 PM
xtc
New User
Thanks for the input. We got the timing light and set it for ten initially. It lacked power so we advanced it to fifteen. It ran better but still has a stumble to it. We also tried running it with and without manifold vacuum advance and it didn't seem to help.We also regapped plugs to .053, and that did seem to help. It does run rich and I think we will end up either changing carbs or making the manual metering block. Two plugs were black with soot. Would this have to do with intake manifold ports, carburetor or possibly valves? Fuel injection would be nice but my son is seventeen and he is being taught to stay within his budget, which ain't real big...yet.

Old 12-18-2004, 07:28 PM
hotrodmerc
Senior User
I think the plug gap should be around .042. Black is an indication that your carb is running rich { to much fuel}

Old 12-19-2004, 02:27 PM
kernel-panic
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, that's another quirk of the 2150 series carbs... they do tend to run rich. I had one I rebuilt and tweaked I don't know how many times and it still ran a little towards the rich side. I can understand about limited budgets, been there, done that, still doing it (which is why I'm saving up money before I put anything that I don't absolutely *need* into my 87 BII). Hope it works out.

Old 12-21-2004, 03:53 PM
xtc
New User
Well we went to the junkyard and got an old 2150 non-feedback that was sitting on a shelf for 25 bucks and rebuilt it with a kit from NAPA. It now has decent power at lower speeds. It still likes to bog a bit when going up hills at cruising speeds. We have tried it now with ported vacuum and without. Without seems to be slightly better. I'm not sure we have all the vacuum lines correct. We hooked the one on the top front of the carb back into the one that goes to the EVAP canister. The one that comes out below the choke we ran to the distributor. The one that is in front is just looped down to the nipple below it on the intake manifold which I'm not sure if it's right. Than ther is one that comes out the back top of the carb that goes to nothing. Does this need to be capped? I also don't know where to hook the PCV valve hose. It used to go to the back of the carb on the 2150A. The 2150 doesn't have this fitting. W
e also had to change out the main jets on the carb because it came off a 302 and had 51's in it, so if you do this swap and your not sure what the carb came off of be sure to check the jet size. Any insight anyone has on vacuum line routing is greatly appreciated. We are so close to having it run great. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2005, 03:01 PM
flydude
New User
XTC,

I am working on an '85 Bronco II for my brother. The computer controlled engines are a pain, and all the relays and sensors seem to be worn out. I want to take the engine back to basics and put in a non-computer controlled igintion. You mentioned that you put a Duraspark 2 conversion in your Bronco. Where can I find more info about this. I have been looking for a Duraspark 2 Distributor for the V-6 engines. Can you help me out?

Thanks

Flydude

Old 01-10-2005, 04:18 PM
xtc
New User
Hi Flydude,

I can try to help you out.

Try here first.

The Ranger Station

There is alot of useful info in the technical section. The distributor I got from NAPA for like 60 bucks. Just tell them you need a distributor for a 1979 Pinto with 2.8L. You want the one with single vacuum advance and non-bosch design. That's the easiest route to go.

HEI Module

For the ignition I went with the GM HEI module. It's like 15 bucks at NAPA. Ask for a ignition module for a 1978 Camaro with a 350. The wiring is pretty straight forward and you can use your existing coil.

If you have any questions just ask.

Last edited by xtc; 01-10-2005 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Addwd link
Old 01-10-2005, 04:25 PM
flydude
New User
Thanks XTC!

Old 01-11-2005, 08:31 AM
kc0rey
Senior User
Originally Posted by xtc
Hi Flydude,

I can try to help you out.

Try here first.

The Ranger Station

There is alot of useful info in the technical section. The distributor I got from NAPA for like 60 bucks. Just tell them you need a distributor for a 1979 Pinto with 2.8L. You want the one with single vacuum advance and non-bosch design. That's the easiest route to go.

HEI Module

For the ignition I went with the GM HEI module. It's like 15 bucks at NAPA. Ask for a ignition module for a 1978 Camaro with a 350. The wiring is pretty straight forward and you can use your existing coil.

If you have any questions just ask.

Did you get the TFI coil to work with the HEI? The reason I ask is I could not get mine to work and had to use the canister style.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Old 01-11-2005, 09:45 AM
xtc
New User
Steve,

Yes the TFI coil worked good. I just mounted the module on the aluminum frame for the power steering pump, just above the TFI coil. Seemed to be a good heat sink and it kept the wires short and simple. I remember reading something somewhere about not using a ballast resistor with this set up. Maybe that has something to do with your's not working with the TFI coil. Maybe someone else here knows more about this. I didn't see any ballast resistor on this rig.

Old 01-11-2005, 10:19 AM
kc0rey
Senior User
Originally Posted by xtc
Steve,

Yes the TFI coil worked good. I just mounted the module on the aluminum frame for the power steering pump, just above the TFI coil. Seemed to be a good heat sink and it kept the wires short and simple. I remember reading something somewhere about not using a ballast resistor with this set up. Maybe that has something to do with your's not working with the TFI coil. Maybe someone else here knows more about this. I didn't see any ballast resistor on this rig.

I noticed that when I used the red wire for the TFI coil to power the system that I could get it to run but it did not run that well. I checked the voltage and found it to be about 1/2 volt less then the white wire used to power the duraspark ignition wire harness. Also when I put it in gear it would die. I switched to the white wire and all of my problems disapeared. Maybe I should throw the TFI coil back in there and give it another chance. I will in the spring when it warms up.

Last edited by kc0rey; 01-11-2005 at 10:29 AM.