2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 manual mirror replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 01:47 PM
Doyne
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 04 manual mirror replacement

I am having trouble finding extension tow mirrors for my maual mirrors on my 04 standard cab STX. None of the major aftermarket companies make one to fit. Can I change out the factory manual mirrors for factory or aftermarket electric mirrors? Is the wiring in the door from the factory even if mirror, windows and locks are manual?
I need to do something so I can tow my RV. Help!

Last edited by Doyne; 12-17-2004 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Ford-man22
Senior User
I don't think the wiring harness is in there. The holes are there but you might be able find a wrecked f-150 with electric mirrors and swap it in to yours. It's gonna be a pain though.

Old 12-18-2004, 09:52 AM
Doyne
New User
Thank you for the info.

I hate to but I may have to use a temp mount clamp on extender.

Any thoughts or reccomendations there?

Old 02-27-2005, 04:07 AM
mjsparky363
Junior User
look at moss motors web site cibie makes a slip on towing mirror.

Old 02-27-2005, 06:22 AM
SuperCrewDude
Senior User
Ford-man is right. When our vans are built if the vehicle doesn't take a power mirror then the harness that's installed in the door does not have the connection. It would require a new door wire to have the connection.

Old 02-28-2005, 02:43 AM
spnrgy
Freshman User
Two Problems With Installing the New Mirrors

That's too bad that the harness isn't there in yours. I have a 99 E150 though, and maybe it's different for vans. Mine has the power equipment group, but came from the factory with the bid stupid looking metal f-up-your-door-rust-in-a-few-years tow mirrors. That wasn't my choice. I know it came that way because I have build sheet from Ford.

I just opened the door up today to install some '04 power tow mirrors and replace the speakers. I ordered a new switch panel with a power mirror switch from the same guy I got the mirrors from, and the wiring harness IS in my doors. Both plugs for the mirrors, and also the plug to fit in the bottom of the switch panel.

I did run into two problems.
ONE, there are only two mounting studs for the 99 version, and the 04 mirrors have four mounting studs. I was expecting three to four and having to drill one hole, but now I have to drill four. Plus the mirrors did not come with the nuts, so I have to see if I can find some that will work.
TWO, although the switch plug is identical, the plugs on the mirrors were cut off when they were removed at the conversion van place, and there are FOUR wires to deal with instead of the three wires that go into the plug on the harness side. The plugs in the doors are three-pin plugs. There are two distinct wires per side for each function (up/down, left/right), and a yellow wire on both sides, which is the power wire.
On the 04 mirrors, there are two yellow wires on the short little stub they left me. My gut feeling is that the two yellow wires correspond to each of the different motors (up/down, left/right) and that I should just tie those two together and splice them to the single yellow wire on the harness. I see no reason why the two motors can't share a power wire since the switching (negative) wires are seperate. That's the way you do two switches in the same box for house wiring.
In fact, this may have been the way the plugs on the mirrors were made in the first place, but I can't tell because they were cut off. And it may be that the 99 power mirrors had plugs wired that way, or maybe the yellow power wire split off into two wires inside the mirror instead of at the plug. If anybody knows how the plugs are on their 03-04 mirrors, any help would be appreciated. My harness has three pin plugs, do the 04 mirrors have three prong plugs? Thanks in advance