Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Junior User

76F250HighBoy is starting off with a positive reputation.
What does 1/4 ton, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton mean?

What do these descriptions mean? How much weight the truck can haul or what?
Old 12-15-2004, 09:49 PM
New User

porschef250 is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
The only difference between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton is springs and axles. the weight of the 2 trucks is just the difference in spring and axle weight. The brakes might get bigger as well as the engine...gear ratio etc etc....depending on year and model. Anyway the bigger you go the greater GVRW
Old 12-15-2004, 10:00 PM
Senior User

Kahuna is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have never heard of a 1/4 ton truck but a Half ton is a 150 ,3/4 is a 250,and a 1 ton is a 350.It has to do with the cargo capacity.Yes I know the old military jeeps were called 1/4 ton but that term has not been used in many years
Old 12-15-2004, 10:11 PM
Posting Guru

SwOkcOffRoader has a good reputation on FTE.SwOkcOffRoader has a good reputation on FTE.
the newer model rangers are considered 1/4 ton trucks...i read that here on FTE somewhere........i cant remember how it breaks down for wieght ratios, i know i have had well over 1000lbs in my 1/2 ton truck, but it was set-up to haul a fifth-wheel camper by its first owner so i dont know whats up with the rear springs................

Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it again??
....Will work for Rep points....
Old 12-16-2004, 06:13 PM
Posting Guru

Lane Dexter has a good reputation on FTE.Lane Dexter has a good reputation on FTE.Lane Dexter has a good reputation on FTE.
I always used to figure a half ton truck would haul 1,500 lbs. comfortable, and a 3/4 ton about twice that. A one-ton was good for a couple of tons.

I was discussing these descriptive terms with one friend, who said a military 2˝ ton truck was supposed to be able to carry that much in combat conditions over hellish terrain; he said in normal use it was assumed to be good for twice it's military load rating.

I always figured half tons had semi-floating rear axles, while 3/4 tons had full floaters. And I figured a half ton would be licensed for 6,000 gross, while a 3/4 ton would be 8,000 licensed. It gets confusing these days, when some base model 3/4 tons have semi-floating axles.

And my '77 F250 is rated for only 6,800, while my friend's '76 F250 looks the same (right down to number of rear spring leaves and width of springs) and is rated for 8200 lbs. A friend tells me his 2004 F150 4x4 was rated to 6,800 and has a class III hitch bumper, which makes for a pretty heavy half ton. I just noticed a single tire 90's Chevy 3500 (that's a one-ton) crew cab that's rated at 9,200 lbs.

Actually, my '66 International 1300 one-ton says on the door plate it's only good for 9,000 lbs. I've seen it at 12,180, and it has incredible axles for a one-ton (Dana 70F front, 10,000 lb. Timken rear). Of course, Cornbinder has always been weird. I have a 1965 900 in my junk collection, a very light short box with the engine from a Scout; I'd call that one a bit less than a true half ton. Some of their "half tons" had full floating axles and heavy wheels.

A friend drives a '95 Dodge 2500 4x4 with Cummins diesel, surely a 3/4 ton, but it has a Dana 60 front and a Dana 70 rear, true one ton axles.

It's just to confusing these days. I would just look at the true GVWR and GAWR's, and let the manufacturer call it whatever he wants; as long as it does the job, I'm happy.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:18 PM
Senior User

fearfactory is starting off with a positive reputation.
yea my 92' ford explorer was rated as a 1/4 ton
Old 12-19-2004, 10:02 AM
Posting Guru

Lane Dexter has a good reputation on FTE.Lane Dexter has a good reputation on FTE.Lane Dexter has a good reputation on FTE.
LOL! Does that mean it's almost a mate to my 1953 M38A1? I think they're both 1/4 tons.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:10 AM
Elder User

crack is starting off with a positive reputation.
do 1/2 tons gernerally have coilsprings up front and the 3/4s have leafs ?
Old 12-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Postmaster

76supercab2 has a good reputation on FTE.76supercab2 has a good reputation on FTE.76supercab2 has a good reputation on FTE.
Only in 4X4s. 2WDs had coils in front from 1/2 throu 1 ton trucks.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Elder User

Tennesseepowerstroke is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have never heard of a 1/4 ton truck until a coule of days ago. Does anyone have a link of any kind to a site where Ford calls the Ranger a 1/4 ton truck? I have always heard of a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and a 1 ton truck. Just never heard the Ranger refered to as a 1/4 ton truck. I have always heard it called a compact pickup.
01 Escape V6 Yellow Moonroof 150,000 miles
Updated 3-3-14
Old 05-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Postmaster

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by crack View Post
No, you can not conclude that. Several variables in what type spring was used. Ford introduced front coils in 1965 with the twin I Beam front end.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-13-2011, 09:43 AM
Elder User

KrautBurner is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by porschef250 View Post
The only difference between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton is springs and axles. the weight of the 2 trucks is just the difference in spring and axle weight. The brakes might get bigger as well as the engine...gear ratio etc etc....depending on year and model. Anyway the bigger you go the greater GVRW
you should not post answers to a question if you don't know the answer.

half ton (F150) has smaller axles (normally a 9"), 5 (or 6) lug wheel hubs, smaller brakes, and springs, as well as many other differences.

while a 3/4 ton (F250) will have a Dana 60 (Full floating) rear axle, with 8 lug hubs/wheels, dual piston disk brakes (bigger than half ton), more load springs, heavier anti-sway bars,
over all, a 3/4 ton truck is set up to haul more cargo, and tow more

I'm not sure,
but there are alot less differences in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks
mostly the spring packs

Don't forget different BADGES

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Last edited by KrautBurner; 05-13-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: forgot they have different badges
Old 05-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwOkcOffRoader View Post
the newer model rangers are considered 1/4 ton trucks...i read that here on FTE somewhere........i cant remember how it breaks down for wieght ratios, i know i have had well over 1000lbs in my 1/2 ton truck, but it was set-up to haul a fifth-wheel camper by its first owner so i dont know whats up with the rear springs................
actually,
a ranger is still a half ton truck

payload is 1200lbs or so on the rangers

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Old 05-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crack View Post
no,
my F250 has coils up front

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76supercab2 View Post
Only in 4X4s. 2WDs had coils in front from 1/2 throu 1 ton trucks.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Old 05-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke View Post
I have never heard of a 1/4 ton truck until a coule of days ago. Does anyone have a link of any kind to a site where Ford calls the Ranger a 1/4 ton truck? I have always heard of a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and a 1 ton truck. Just never heard the Ranger refered to as a 1/4 ton truck. I have always heard it called a compact pickup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrautBurner View Post
actually,
a ranger is still a half ton truck

payload is 1200lbs or so on the rangers

it is a compact truck,
but according to it's payload, it's still a half ton.
(while most "half ton" full size trucks can haul as much as some older "one ton's")

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Old 05-13-2011, 10:06 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
10000, 12, 14, 34, difference, f150, half, lbs, mean, pickup, quarter, ton, truck, trucks, weighs