2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration fix results per TSB 4-25-7/8

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 09:48 AM
Swatnducks
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Vibration fix results per TSB 4-25-7/8

Any feedback on vibration fix per TSB 04-25-07 & 08 issued on 12/9/04.

Old 12-15-2004, 11:39 AM
bigplayrayr
Senior User
I turn my truck in Tues Dec 21st. I will be sure to post results. I am curious too if this is a good cure.

Old 12-15-2004, 12:47 PM
johnpete
New User
I took my '04 F-150 to the dealer Monday and we used the EVA which indicated the tires were the problem. Found a similar truck and swapped tires and wheels.

It seem to make it better. The EVA indicated all the vibrations were gone. I'm not sure. I just might be too sensitive to any vibrations it this point.

I'll be taking a road trip next week so I should know more then.

The tire/wheel swap really improved things and the dealer shop foreman was well aware of the problem.

John

Old 01-03-2005, 09:08 PM
Swatnducks
Freshman User
Mine goes into tomorrow morning.....I am insisting they follow the directions per TSB 04-25-7 and 04-25-8. If no good, I will be forced to go DSB with the 100% backing of my dealer and the Ford regional rep (or so they say)...Will keep you posted.

Old 01-03-2005, 09:44 PM
gowestfx4
Freshman User
Had mine in today, they agree there is a vibration. I have 285 70 17 bfg a/t tires on her and a leveling kit. They are trying to put it off on either tires or the lift. I know I had the vibration before the mods. Has anyone had this brought up to them as the cause of the vibration? I'm going back this week and we are putting stock tires back on to rule out the tires. I don't want to pull the leveling kit out to prove it's not the problem, it's cold outside.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:52 PM
brian noyes
Freshman User
I Have The Factory Bfg 18 On My Lariat They Shake At 75mph. What Is The Bulletin For Exactly????and Where Did You Get A Leveling Kit I Think It Would Improve Looks Alot. I Dont Really Load The Back That Much So It Sits High

Old 01-05-2005, 10:04 PM
MJEmerson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would wait to do the leveling kit until after vibe issue is solved....dealer will try to void the warranty

Old 01-06-2005, 07:33 AM
RainbowRider
New User
Driveline Vibration results on my truck

Truck is a 2004 Super Crew with 12k miles, 5.4, 2 wheel drive & A.R.E. fiberglass shell. Tires are OEM installed 255/65R17 Continentals on chromed steel wheels with a fresh re-balance by my local Discount Tire Store. Prior to taking the truck to the dealer I had no issues with the tires except a minor flat spotting which disappeared within a couple of miles in the morning. The driveline vibration has been slowly increasing over last 3k miles and is most noticeable when coasting, less noticeable under load.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Took truck in to dealer on 12/17/04 (4 day stay). <o:p></o:p>

Dealer tech road tested truck and agreed with my concerns about driveline vibrations.<o:p></o:p>

Performed normal balance and retested – no improvement<o:p></o:p>

Removed ARE shell and retested – vibration more noticeable<o:p></o:p>

Ordered vibration damper kit<o:p></o:p>

Performed road-force balance and re-clocked 2 of the tires – retest results unknown<o:p></o:p>

Reclaimed truck for the holidays – immediately noted front tire balance was very bad – like a wheel weight may have been thrown off – also noted a minor dent on the face of one of the wheels.<o:p></o:p>

Returned truck to dealer on 01/03/05 for completion of work (3 day stay).<o:p></o:p>

Complained about tire balance & new dent on wheel.<o:p></o:p>

Dealer rebalanced and retested without significant improvement.<o:p></o:p>

Then they replaced both front wheels and took truck to a high perf tire shop for a high speed on-the-truck tire balance. Retest showed much improvement. (back to where it was when I first took it in!).<o:p></o:p>

Vibration damper kit installed per TSB and tested – partial improvement noted.<o:p></o:p>

Measured run-out and backlash variance on ring gear of differential – max spec is .004 and mine was measured at .007. The entire differential assembly was replaced and retested. No further vibrations noted.<o:p></o:p>

Service Ops Manager stated they had gone the extra mile to resolve my concerns. Their total expenditure was $3308.73.<o:p></o:p>

Note: This was my 2<SUP>nd</SUP> visit for these driveline vibration concerns. I felt they had not adequately been addressed during my 1<SUP>st</SUP> visit and so stated on the follow-up customer satisfaction survey they sent me. It must have gotten their attention as I was treated like royalty this time around and the truck had been detailed, interior scented and tires shined-up.<o:p></o:p>

Results: Just got it back last night so still evaluating but overall it is better than it was. Kudos to Jim Tidwell’s World Ford in Kennesaw, Georgia. <o:p></o:p>

PS: The techs could not replicate the one-time incident where my brake pedal went to the floor. They claimed there were no codes stored in the computer. So they inspected everything and turned the rotors and pronounced it good. I’m still somewhat tentative about the brakes and lightly test them as I approach busy intersections.

Hope all this is of some help to someone.

Old 01-06-2005, 08:57 AM
SCrew55
New User
Service Ops Manager stated they had gone the extra mile to resolve my concerns. Their total expenditure was $3308.73.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Who cares how much they spent?? Is it fixed?

Old 01-06-2005, 09:08 AM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That $3300 was hiden in warranty claims to Ford. I doubt the dealer had that hit his cost line.

Old 01-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Swatnducks
Freshman User
Just picked my truck up after three days in the shop. The service dept. shop foreman previously said that TSB 04-25-7/8 (pending at the time of diagnosis) would fix my problem. All that was done was change out the tires, road force balance, and install a dampner. Seems to have fixed the problem (at least for now). Sevice dept. says vehicle is now within Ford specs as far as vibration goes (mine is at 6 hz vs. 8 hz spec). Drives smooth at highway speeds 60/70/80 mph ...Slight "jitter" at slower speeds 30/40 mph (normal 4X4 truck feedback I'm sure). Hopefully this is the end of my troubles. Happy for now.

Old 01-06-2005, 06:43 PM
RainbowRider
New User
Talking Vibration fix results

Who cares how much they spent?? Is it fixed?

Believe so. Took the long way home after work and noted no misbehav'n related to any of my complaints. I'm grinnin' again.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:05 PM
gowestfx4
Freshman User
Was at the dealer today for the tire swap, still had the Vibration. They then put her on the rack and ran her. They say it's the drive shaft. We will see, hope so.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:45 PM
redcrew04
Freshman User
Hey guys glad some of you are getting somewhere with the "shakes">I just dropped mine off at the dealer and I mentioned the latest TSB which I got from here.T hey told me not sure about the TSB, but they will look at my concerns. I told the service man that the tire flat spotting has to go dont care what they do,I didnt drop a load of money on a new truck to have "flat" spots. I will keep you posted on what they find on my vibration problem and if they fix it

Old 01-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Javelin389
Freshman User
I don't buy into the Ford tire flat-spotting myself. My flat spots changed after having my clutch packs replaced. Go figure.

Quick Reply: Vibration fix results per TSB 4-25-7/8