A/C Heater Knocking & Thumping (it must be posessed) ;o)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 12:15 AM
honeyCANdew
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Heater Knocking & Thumping?!?

Hello everyone!

Thumping noise is coming from a/c -heater when I push the lever to the furthest point of cold, and to the furthest point of hot.

Light knocking occurs in between both temps. It use to work fine. Then gradually, there would be only the thumping when only going to extreme cold and to extreme hot...so I would just adjust the temp between the two extremes and have hot and cold when needed with no thumping noise. It progessively got worse. Now, the 99 Ford Windstar a/c - heater is stuck in cold position, and won't produce heat just a lot of light knocking noise.

Read about blend doors and vacuum lines. Does anyone have any ideas which one I could be possibly dealing with? Also, for a 99 Ford Windstar, how difficult would it be for me to get at this posessed piece?

Thanks for your help guys.

Last edited by honeyCANdew; 12-15-2004 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Grammatical
Old 12-16-2004, 02:27 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not certain which one they use on the Windstar, but it sounds to me as though the actuator motor is toast.

Old 12-18-2004, 11:37 PM
honeyCANdew
Junior User
Thank you for suggesting the actuator. Went to surf on the internet for instructions since I didn't have a shop manual readily available, and came across another great site which provided me step by step instructions from other folk who have experienced the same problems as me.

For those 99 Ford Windstar owners whom are experiencing problems with their a/c heater, try this website. You can also surf 'The Windstar Report' Forum for other problems related to your vehicle.

http://www.cartrackers.com/Forums/li...star/1104.html

Going to take a stab at it tomorrow, will try to remember to post the outcome when I'm finished.
Thanks again Pikachu for your advice. I would be in major debt to dealers if this Forum didn't exist. You all rock!

Old 04-12-2005, 09:10 PM
honeyCANdew
Junior User
How to align actuator in correct position to blend door?

OK everybody the actuator took me 30 minutes to replace. Pretty easy actually, if you have small fingers like me. Since placing the actuator back in, we've noticed that when pushing the temp control to hot - it's SCALDING HOT. When going back towards cold, the warm is hot and the cold is tepid.

Could someone please help me with regards to aligning the actuator to where the blend door should be?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by honeyCANdew; 04-12-2005 at 10:08 PM. Reason: highlight the question, it appears to get lost in reply