1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Remote start question

Old 12-14-2004, 08:13 PM
AF Mezkin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote start question

I have been trying to find a past thread concerning remote starters from Ford. I'm tinking of haveing one installed in my 03 Expy, I'm looking at the silver remote start. I went to the dealer to get a price on the remote and installation today, remote start $230.00 and $550.00 for installation. He made it sound like he was doing me a favor by bringing down the price of there labor rate to 55.00 an hour from 75.00. He also said that it would take 10 hours to do the install. I know I read a thread a while ago where a member does the installs in about 2 hours or less, I think he worked for Ford but not sure.He sounded like he knew what he was talking about.
The parts guy gave me this part # for the system 19G364 (for 02-05), is this the right one? I found a part # for the PATS bypass (I guess that is what it's called) 19G365, is this also correct.
How do I know if I have this PATS system on my Expy? If I do, do I have to also buy the PATS bypass to make the remote start work?
Is this a Ford dealer specific install or can any pro alarm/audio shop handle it?
Last question, should I go with a ford product or aftermarket? I want it to look factory and retain all the features of my factory key fob but not carry two.

Any info will help.

Old 12-14-2004, 08:52 PM
njxlt
Senior User
If you are considering an aftermarket starter go to
http://www.designtech-intl.com for nice units. I have the AirWolf 2-way with LCD screen that starts vehicle from 1000 ft. away. The PATS bypass module was $30 @ AutoZone. I installed myself in my 98 Expedition XLT and I am by no means a mechanic in around 5 hours. Bottom section of driver side dash needs to be pulled to get access to vehicle harness. I had to call tech support to the above company to locate some of the vehicle wiring and these guys are experts. One phone call and tell them your year, make, and model and they give you the exact location of wires. If you have a Costco by you they are selling a nice 2-Way model from this company for $90 and you will also need the bypass module for another $30. Here is a copy of my remote:

Old 12-15-2004, 12:29 AM
PaulC
Posting Guru
Most keyfobs for alarms and remote start systems will also assume the functions of the factory remote. $550 install fee? Makes me pine for the good old days of 1998 when I had a very good independent shop install a remote starter system from a Canadian company called Astroflex in my 1999 Expedition. $330 for the system and install. Never had a problem and still works great today. BTW, many dealers farm out these installs to independent shops. Are you positive that your dealer will actually do the work? Or will they just act as a middleman and soak you for labor costs at their shop rate?

Old 12-15-2004, 06:03 AM
scholzee
Senior User
I installed the Ford silver unit in my 2001 and it tooke me about 4 hours. I am very happy with it and have installed the Design_tech models in about 8 other family vehicles pre 1996 no fancey security systems. I went with the Ford figuring it would be easier to do as it is made for it, in the end it would be about the same for the Ford unit or aftermarket. The guy your talking about 2 hour installs is here http://www.kcautosound.com/

Old 12-15-2004, 06:57 AM
AF Mezkin
Senior User
Yea, the service rep asked which one of his service techs knew how to do the job, only one of them all had done one in the past. I think that is where he got the 10 hrs to get it done.
I'm going to call around today see if any other Ford dealer can do it in a lesser time and cheaper install fee. I think I'll call pro alarm/audio shops.

Old 12-15-2004, 10:36 AM
bkampbel
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Af Mezkin,
I recently was doing the same things as you. I like the Ford system, which is made by Code Alarm because it has factory looking remotes and is usually backed by ford. What I found though after calling many dealers in the area is that no one had experience installing them and if they did it is because they farm it out to a local stereo shop and even those guys had no idea about the Ford system. That might vary by area due to the popularity in colder and warmer climates. I wasn't interested in an aftermarket even though I know most have more options and features. I ended up calling a local lincoln dealership because I thought more Navigator owners would be installing these systems. They recommended an independent guy who after talking to him discovered that he has done many of these installs and actually knew what he was talking about. For the Silver he charged 4 hours labor at $50/hr. The Gold 6 hours due the alarm which requires more labor. There is a difference in part numbers between the 02 and older models and the 03 and newer models. The newer ones are still sold at the dealer. I would try to find a competent dealer in area first because you might get more of a warranty with them. If that doesn't work try to find a competent aftermarket installer. Good luck.

Old 12-15-2004, 03:57 PM
cpd806
Junior User
I have the Crimestopper 900 Coolstart remote starter in my Expy and Chevy for over a year now with no problems. The Expy cost 235 installed and the Chevy cost 190. The Expy cost more because they needed to bypass the theft fuction. The remote start operates the locks also. Lifetime warranty.

Old 12-15-2004, 04:50 PM
eds72
Junior User
NJXLT, do you know the specific model that is being offered at Costco?

Old 12-15-2004, 05:34 PM
scarface78
Junior User
Never Do That

I would never go to the dealer for remote starter. Try going to any CAR STEREO SHOP. I've got my Remote starter + Alarm + instalation + transfaring all the functions into one REMOTE done for $350 with 3 years warranty.

Old 12-15-2004, 05:40 PM
njxlt
Senior User
I think the unit at Costco is the 20092 model. I believe it retails at $199 at http://www.designtech-intl.com When I picked up my starter (AirWolf 20096) last year on www.amazon.com for $180 it was $299 at Design Tech's website. As my post above states, there tech support is absolutley the best I have ever dealt with. The great thing with the two way starters is the fact that you can see if the vehicles starts, unlike just pushing the button and wondering!

Old 12-15-2004, 06:30 PM
eds72
Junior User
Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like a heck of a deal.

One question - I noticed on DesignTech's site it said the parking brake had to be set in order to start the vehicle. Is this true with your system, or are they just making the lawyers happy by putting this on their website?

Old 12-15-2004, 08:49 PM
AF Mezkin
Senior User
I called other Ford dealers and all I got was more "It'll take 10 hrs" @ anywhere between 65.00 - 75.00 an hour.
I also stoped by some of the pro alarm/audio shops but they don't install products that are not sold at their store. I guess I'll keep looking at other dealers and pro shops.

Old 12-15-2004, 09:09 PM
scarface78
Junior User
10 Hours !!!!!!

They really trying to make money of you ... 10 Hours to install ALARM/REMOTE STARTER. Tell them it's a JOKE. Any Car Stereo Shop in ILLINOIS will do that in under 2 Hours. Honestly if I were you i would rather go with AFTER MARKET REMOTE STARTER (better quality and cheaper prize + Life Time Warranty on $350 + Models)

Old 12-15-2004, 09:26 PM
AF Mezkin
Senior User
I'm starting to lean that way.

Old 12-15-2004, 10:59 PM
njxlt
Senior User
Hey eds72 the parking brake being set is bunch of bull. I guess they have to say that, like you said lawyers? Can't beat that price, but don't forget you will also need a spare key to bury and you will have to purchase the $30 PATS bypass module.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote start question