Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Ford Truck Owners, Please Read

Old 10-31-2004, 06:20 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Ford Truck Owners, Please Read

I am an owner of a 94 Lightning SVT and current National Lightning Owners Club (NLOC) member. We have recieved information from several sources that say the the next generation Lightning (GEN 3) will be terminated and quite possibly the whole SVT program. I, and many other Lightning and SVT owners and non owners, have sent the SVT execs email messages voicing our opinions about this to try and help maintain its existance. I only ask that you all help in this effort to show SVT and Ford that dropping the Lightning, and quite possibly the SVT program, would be a poor decision. The links below have email addresses to SVT and Ford Execs, and a link to a petition as well.

Link to nloc.net that has all of the email addresses:
http://www.nloc.net/forum/index.php?
Before you click, PLEASE read the Webmaster's post (#7) below. -Thanks, T1
Link to petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/savesvt/petition.html

Please support this effort, every signature and/or will make a difference, and it will be greatly appreciated!

Matt C./Blurry94
NLOC Member #1152

Old 10-31-2004, 06:35 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Petition signed.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:37 AM
R_Rider
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a petition to save the Bronco? Ford built a ton of them and they had a lot of fans...

Ranchero? Maverick? Torino? E100 van/truck? All sold in far higher numbers than the Lightning, maybe we can convince Ford to change their mind...
All of this because SUPPOSEDLY (wink wink) Ford was going to cancel the Mustang but changed their minds due to public outcry.

Everyone forgets that, with under 40,000 Lightnings produced, there were more Mustangs built... in 1965... EVERY MONTH. Something like three or four HUNDRED times as many Mustang owners out there.

I imagine Ford has their head of recycling in charge of "handling" these petitions.

Old 11-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The performance option has no reason to go by the wayside. Base model Mustangs are what support the GT. Ford wouldn't make nearly so much money if all Mustangs sold were GT's. Thankfully high schoolers (and girls) enjoy V6 Mustangs to support those that love the big brother with a 4.6.

The F-series is the number one best selling truck for how long? How can you NOT have a performance version. It's low quantity means that maybe they should add a bit more price since it is a premium vehicle.

I think the threat of closing off hte SVT is for resale value to remain high...and scare people so that when the new one DOES return...Lightning, Cobra, whatever...it will be that much sweeter for us.

Old 11-06-2004, 05:11 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the dealers had a little something to do with this. FROM A FORD DEALER SALESPERSON'S PERSPECTIVE (so PLEASE don't get angry with me), but SVT can be a pain in the butt, and it's sometimes difficult to see the benefits of being an SVT dealer. I'll be honest: every kid has a thousand questions, every potential buyer has to test drive one by driving the snot out of it (and then REFUSE to buy it because it's been "test-driven"), and actual SVT owners are known to be nearly impossible to please. I work for a dealership with a reputation for doing just about ANYTHING to satisfy a customer (Ford won't lemon-law it? Okay, WE buy it back), but we're not unhappy that there won't be any SVT product for awhile. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we dropped our SVT franchise altogether. And I've talked to several SVT dealers that feel the same way. Believe me, I'm not trying to start a flame war here or anything like that; I'm just trying to give you some insight as to what it's like on the other side of the fence, and a possible reason why Ford is putting the brakes to the SVT program.

But let me add this: the problem people I speak of are primarily Cobra customers. I will say that Lightning owners are defiinitely more reasonable, but I don't think most Ford dealers have the ability to separate FTE owners in their minds.

Last edited by 1956MarkII; 11-06-2004 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:11 PM
68 351 bronc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MarkII great post!
I work in retail and can feel your pain.
Trying to decide weather to buy a Cobra or Lightning is what keeps the blood pumping through my veins.
If Ford discontinued the SVT program I May not make it to my I"M TURNING 40 crisis.

Old 11-06-2004, 09:15 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Everyone here should know that I had a conversation on Monday with some people in Ford and they told me sending emails to the people listed will only result in interfering with the jobs they have to do --- annoying them is not the way or proper channel to get things done. Call the CAC and let them know, or write a letter. Frankly, I think the rumors of the death of SVT is just a rumor.... none of the people I keep in touch with will back up the story.

Old 11-14-2004, 12:49 AM
drewcoolness99
Elder User
i read a press release a while back, I don't think they are discontinuing it they are just puttin off the lightning until 06 and concentrating on the cobra. I can't remember where i read it though.

Old 11-14-2004, 08:56 PM
jb1983
Junior User
It takes a while to design an SVT, don't let the Ford GT fool you with its short design time, most SVT cars/trucks have taken several years to redesign . SVT is working on the GT now (possib Shelby Cobra for after GTs 2 year production run), soon the Mustang cobra, then the Lightning. People need to remember that other time between the 95-99 model year there was no Lightning, ford takes their time and are going to do It right so 2008 there should be a new L. Also look at the amount Ford has invested in the past year on new cars, F-150, superduty, mustang ,freestar(windstar), escape (hybrid) were redesigned, GT, 500, freestyle, were created. (not to menton jaguar, land rover, aston martin, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda. as a manufacture You have to have Priorities and the "bread" cars have priority over the "butter" cars, but after the bread is good and cooked, you get to use a bit of butter. Right now Ford is waiting for the dough to rise. SVT is still here- technicaly the GT is concidered to be SVT, it was designed by them! also as I breifly mentioned it is believed that after GT's production is done in 2 years, ford will use the facilities they bult for it to buld a version of the shelby cobra concept. so SVT for the next few years will just mean Secret Vech.. Team.

Old 11-14-2004, 11:54 PM
68 351 bronc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My SD will be paid for in a year and a half. I would like to see Ford produce a Mach One Mustang of the new body style with a 5.4, VVT, breathing on it's own, putting out something like 340 hp,370 ft tq. In the traditional Mach One styling.
That is what I want.

Oh and big brakes, Damn good stock sound system, big choice of custom exterior colors.
And a sequential 6 speed manual that will frustrate my wife enough that she won't drive it.

Old 11-15-2004, 03:12 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bronc, why make it breathe on it's own? That just means a less reliable, engine that will die sooner. If you use the supercharger like they have been, you get good fuel economy during every day driving, but still can run with the best of them for a lot longer. Just MHO.

Old 12-20-2004, 01:01 PM
scuzz
New User
Talking

Originally Posted by pfogle
Bronc, why make it breathe on it's own? That just means a less reliable, engine that will die sooner. If you use the supercharger like they have been, you get good fuel economy during every day driving, but still can run with the best of them for a lot longer. Just MHO.
Since when did Supercharged motors outlast normally asperated motors as far as reliabilty? If you were to go the forced induction route as far as relaibilty I think that hands down 1st place would be a turbocharger then the roots-type charges and then the postive displacement, g-ladder chargers. BEFORE you guys HIT the REPLY button, I know that superchargers today are great and all and that turbochargers have thier achillies heel too, I just don't think that too many people can compaire relaibilty of forced induction versus normally asperated. (just as though you can't compare performance of the two either .

Old 12-28-2004, 06:08 PM
Lightning man
New User
I heard that the lightning is on the self till 2008 and the cobra will be back out in 06. They are putting off a year because of the entire different design of the 05 nothing from the 04 can carry over. This came as a fax from someone at SVT to a sales person at a local SVT dealer where my boss works.

Search this Thread