2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2004 XLT Supercab is now gone, replaced with a ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 10:57 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mjbesen310
WRONG ONCE AGAIN! The ONLY differnce in these trucks are the TRIM!! Thats IT!! Suspention is the same from the King Ranch all the way down to the XL!! The XL truck is just as quite as the King Ranch or lower then King Rnch, the Lariat. You guys are messed up if you think one truck is more solid then the other, your full of crap!! There the SAME TRUCK! Geez...dumb people in this world....
Why are you resorting to namecalling? I owned the XLT and drove it with radio off for weeks to compare it to my new Lariat. I felt the difference in how solid the door closes the first time I closed the Lariat. It's not subjective it's fact. That's why it's the luxury model. And I'm positive I've read in this group that some aspect of beneath the truck the Lariat has better quality parts. I don't have the time to search for that fact, but it is. If you don't believe me, go test ride a Lariat. You just might end up trading up like I did.

Old 12-15-2004, 11:46 PM
Gary42141
Junior User
I test drove a Lariat before I drove the XLT, and really didn't notice any differences other than the level of trim.....leather seats, stereos, etc. It seemed to ride the same, at least to me. I think that the leather seats may contribute to the ride quality, for those who notice a difference.

My butt has a bit of padding already, so it's probably a moot point.

The doors on my XLT seem pretty solid too.

Old 12-16-2004, 12:31 AM
Mr. PC
Senior User
Originally Posted by Toreador
Why are you resorting to namecalling? I owned the XLT and drove it with radio off for weeks to compare it to my new Lariat. I felt the difference in how solid the door closes the first time I closed the Lariat. It's not subjective it's fact. That's why it's the luxury model. And I'm positive I've read in this group that some aspect of beneath the truck the Lariat has better quality parts. I don't have the time to search for that fact, but it is. If you don't believe me, go test ride a Lariat. You just might end up trading up like I did.

Remember, this is a TRUCK forum. Does the princess feel the pea through her mattress? Holy crap.....

PC

Old 12-16-2004, 12:49 AM
likalarry
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary42141
I test drove a Lariat before I drove the XLT, and really didn't notice any differences other than the level of trim.....leather seats, stereos, etc. It seemed to ride the same, at least to me. I think that the leather seats may contribute to the ride quality, for those who notice a difference.

My butt has a bit of padding already, so it's probably a moot point.

The doors on my XLT seem pretty solid too.
All you XLT and Lariet folks made big mistakes. The best ride is the FX4, by far. (Just pulling some leg folks. This thread has been a riot!)

Larry in SF, CA

Old 12-16-2004, 03:12 AM
TRITON-ic
Senior User
Originally Posted by Curveman
Nah. The XLT is as far as I'd go for it to still be a TRUCK. I had heated seats and leather and all that crap in my last car but this time I wanted a TRUCK that looked like a TRUCK and that I would USE as a TRUCK. (I can't believe all you grocery getters with all these skin creams..er..."swirl removers" etc). The Lariat is an Explorer with a tail! (I hate that short bed)! TRUCK! All that pantywaste stuff in a TRUCK is like putting a bubble on a Harley or something-it just doesn't belong! The XLT has just the right balance of value/features that can still be called a TRUCK. The Lariat puts a sweater on a pit bull! To each his own though, seriously.
Dude, you need to lay off the testosterone. You want to be a real man? Pay for the Lariat package and use it as a truck. I do. Do you have the money and nads to do it? Mine is just as "real", but better.

Old 12-16-2004, 07:57 AM
Gary42141
Junior User
Originally Posted by likalarry
All you XLT and Lariet folks made big mistakes. The best ride is the FX4, by far.
I'd thought about getting the FX4, but knowing that most if not all of my driving would be on paved roads, it'd be a waste of money for me personally.

The XLT Supercrew suited my needs, and I'm very happy with it.

Old 12-16-2004, 12:28 PM
jiffyjam
Freshman User
Better

Originally Posted by TRITON-ic
Mine is just as "real", but better.
Its a fancy truck, nice to look at maybe, but its not any better except for the fact it meets your needs. That makes it better to you. Its certainly no more of a truck than any other w/ the same capacities.

Old 12-16-2004, 04:54 PM
BrianFX4
Senior User
I drove the XLT, the Lariat, and the FX4 before I bought the FX4. They all drove the same to me except the FX4 seemed a little more stiff and that could even be my imagination and they all seemed built the same. I was also told the only differences between the XLT and Lariat was trim. The only difference between the three was the Fx4 had stiffer suspension and trim. I decided on the FX4 not because it felt different but because I'm not a huge fan of chrome bumpers and I still wanted the center shift. BUt I did get the leather seats and all the goodies the FX4 came with. I four wheel my truck, I haul my dirt bike and I haul my protection trained German Shepherd to and from training twice a week. So just because it has all the goodies doesn't mean I don't treat it like a truck. I wanted a truck that was like a luxury vechicle on the inside (to make the wife happy) but tough as nails on the outside. I was four wheeling the 2nd day I owned it as a matter of fact. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:56 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Well these comparisons have been made in the past in this forum. Here's another person said about it several months ago:

05-12-2004, 12:34 PM
fanman2
Senior User

Signature
F150Texan......

Me thinks you have your mix all talked up.

There is not a an F-150 "FX4 Lariat". The FX4 is a stand alone model.....and.....the Lariat is a stand alone model.

Could it be that your loaner was "4 x 4 Lariat"?!

And by the way....I have a Supercrew Lariat 4 x 2....and BEFORE ordering it.....I drove EVERY F-150 model and drivetrain combination available.....and I can tell you firsthand that the Lariat does have a much smoother and more civlized ride than the FX4 model. And according to Ford's literature on the Lariat.....it is "advertised" to have their best suspension components and suspension geometry, to provide the "best and most luxurious ride" of any of the 2004 F-150 models.

Fred

Old 12-17-2004, 07:16 AM
jiffyjam
Freshman User
Here is the link to Fords website, it takes you too the page where all F-150 models are compared feature by feature. It includes ride, ect...
http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/features/

Old 12-17-2004, 07:48 AM
Gary42141
Junior User
Hmm...reading through that list, it appears as though my XLT made it out of the factory with a couple options it wasn't supposed to have.

Auto-dimming rearview mirror & visors with lighted, covered mirrors for driver and passenger.

Old 12-17-2004, 08:01 AM
jiffyjam
Freshman User
Wink

Hmm...reading through that list, it appears as though my XLT made it out of the factory with a couple options it wasn't supposed to have.

Auto-dimming rearview mirror & visors with lighted, covered mirrors for driver and passenger.
So, the only honest thing to do would be to give those parts BACK to Ford.
I am sure you will make haste to do so and let us ALL know how Ford responded to your honesty!

Old 12-17-2004, 08:10 AM
Gary42141
Junior User
Originally Posted by jiffyjam
So, the only honest thing to do would be to give those parts BACK to Ford.
I am sure you will make haste to do so and let us ALL know how Ford responded to your honesty!
I'll trade them the lighted vanity mirrors for a new set of rotors.

Old 12-17-2004, 08:25 AM
jiffyjam
Freshman User
I'll trade them the lighted vanity mirrors for a new set of rotors.
That would be too one-sided...Ford should throw in a new set of tires to make it a more even trade...

Old 12-17-2004, 12:36 PM
hometheaterman
Junior User
I haven't bought a Ford truck yet but to me I want the Lariat as I want the leather seats. I don't find it any less of a truck because it has nicer seats but I also don't mind the XLT I just would like to have the leather seats. I may not carry much in the bed of the truck as it is too damn hard to get the stuff I want to carry in the bed. I want one to pull my trailer with quads or dirtbikes or whatever else I may choose. I want something to go in the snow. I want something that can go up the mountain gravel roads that seem to tear up normal vehicles and I want something that I can do a little 4wheeling on fire roads. I would prefer not to have big dents in the sides of it and have it all scratched up but it is not the end of the world if I get it scratched up. I realize most SUV's never see dirt but while I may not go rock crawling with it or haul that much in the bed I ocasionally will just won't put quads or bikes in the bed on a regular basis I will still use it to haul trailers and go offroad on fire roads and stuff like that. I just happen to want to be sitting on comfortable seats while doing it. My current truck that I use as my beater truck has vinyl seats although not my main vehicle so I would like to have some nice seats in my next truck.

Quick Reply: My 2004 XLT Supercab is now gone, replaced with a ...