Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Rear Axle Leak onto rear brake drum

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 08:49 AM
DURSO
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Axle Leak onto rear brake drum

I have a 92 4.0 EXT AWD Eddie Bauer. It has 112,000 miles on it, and I have recently noticed that the rear axle is leaking. It appears that the fluid is coming out and flowing into the right rear brake drum, out of the drum and onto the inside of the tire.
I dont have any noise coming from the rear end, and dont think it has been doing this for very long.
I am not too mechanical, so I will need to take it somewhere to get it fixed. What coud I expect to pay to have someting like this fixed. Do I need to replace the brakes now that they probably have grease on them, or can they be cleaned up. I just had the rear brakes done about 5000 miles ago.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks - Tony

Old 12-10-2004, 12:11 PM
bertha66
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you checked to see if the leak is brake fluid or 90w gear lube. You say the brakes were done, did they put new wheel cylinders? Smell the fluid and you should be able to tell which it is.

Old 12-10-2004, 12:37 PM
DURSO
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bertha66
Have you checked to see if the leak is brake fluid or 90w gear lube. You say the brakes were done, did they put new wheel cylinders? Smell the fluid and you should be able to tell which it is.
I believe that it is gear lube. It appears to be thicker than the brake fluid. Also my brake fluid in the reservoir is still full. I have not needed to add any fluid at all (ever).
I dont know if they put new wheel cylinders. Not sure what they are. All I had done is put new rear brakes on. I believe that they only replaced the pads/shoes. Pep Boys did the brakes...front and back at that time. 5000 miles ago.

Thanks - Tony

Old 12-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
[QUOTE=DURSO]I believe that it is gear lube. It appears to be thicker than the brake fluid. Also my brake fluid in the reservoir is still full. I have not needed to add any fluid at all (ever).
I dont know if they put new wheel cylinders. Not sure what they are. All I had done is put new rear brakes on. I believe that they only replaced the pads/shoes. Pep Boys did the brakes...front and back at that time. 5000 miles ago.

I doubt that they put in new wheel cyl kits. They probably just put on
new brakes and sent you out the door. If it really is gear lube (and I believe
it is) you will need to have to pull the axle and replace the seal. It's not a
hard or time consuming job, but it will need to be done. You will also need
another new set of brake shoes because the ones you have on now are
soaked with gear lube and shouldn't be reused. Also, to do it proper, the
ones on the other side will again need to be replaced so you have a matched set. Some shadetree mechanics won't do this, but it is the proper way of doing it. The drum will need to be cleaned up and while they are on the other side, the other wheel seal should be inspected at the minimum, maybe even replaced; it's your call.
This would be a good time to learn how to do your own brakes and purchase a good manual to show you how. But, if you're not comfortable doing this, take it to a shop. Even a dealer shouldn't charge more than $275 for all this. My $.02 worth...........