Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Electrical Systems/Wiring
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2004, 02:24 AM
Freshman User

palace_master is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bad Headlight Switch or Relay?

I have a '93 F150 and have a problem with the dash lights. If I turn on the parking lights, the dash lights light up. If I pull the switch all the way, the dash lights turn off. If I gently pull the switch in between parking lights and head lights, I can get the dash lights on with the headlights, but it turns on the amber parking corner lights by the headlights. I am not sure whether to replace the switch or to look at bad relays. My guess is the switch. Anyone else have this problem. The truck has only 150,000 kilometres on it so the switch should not be too worn out. The previous owner has disabled the warning buzzer for the keys and headlights; I hope that this is not any kind of problem.

Chris
Old 12-10-2004, 03:13 PM
Senior User

Ironpants is starting off with a positive reputation.
light switch is probably burnt out, or 'done'.

Mine burns the B2 terminal on the switch every 2 months.

I have not had time to check it out, but I am hoping that someone has some info...

Oh yeah, my light switch harness is melted as well, but still works...

'94 F350 CrewCab, LongBox, Single Rear Wheel, XLT 7.3L w/ factory turbo. Currently with a '91 7.3L installed, E4OD, airbag suspension. truck's got 430,000 KM, engine has 590,000 KM.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:58 PM
Junior User

Guitar_Stitch is starting off with a positive reputation.
If your Wiring harness is melted, then that's the reason why you're burning your switches up. Replace the harness next time you replace the switch. The wiring harness on these trucks is not the best, and any resistance will cause it to fry.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:38 PM
Senior User

Exclamation Headlight or running lights but not both... 94 F350

Looks like the previous owner had already replaced the switch end of the harness, as it was a cut and crimp job.

So basically, what I got is this...

1 - Running lights
OR
2 - Headlights

but not both at the same time. I have replaced the switch, no difference. As far as I can tell, all fuses are good, relays have been checked as well (moved around, no difference to the lights). High beams work on either setting. It is almost like the switch is not workign correctly, cause there is only a fine tiny area where I have running lights. Any movemnet in or out on the headlight **** rod will cause them to go out, and the headlights on (no running lights). I have 3 switches that all give me the same situation.

Anyone got me a quick fix?? When it is dark from 4:20 pm until 8:30 am, kinda makes for some pucker factor driving to and from work...

Truck is a 1994 F350 CC diesel.

'94 F350 CrewCab, LongBox, Single Rear Wheel, XLT 7.3L w/ factory turbo. Currently with a '91 7.3L installed, E4OD, airbag suspension. truck's got 430,000 KM, engine has 590,000 KM.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:46 PM
Senior User

FlaresideGlenn is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the exact same problem with my 1994 F150 Flareside last week - no dashlights, tail lights or license plate light with the headlights on. I had to replace the switch itself and repair the harness behind the switch. A new switch from Ford was $30.82 (Canadian). The entire process took about 1 hour. Hope this helps.
Glenn
Old 12-16-2004, 10:26 AM
New User

fixinit is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 2000 E150 5.4 chateau, after towing my trailer the other day the same thing happened to my van. Already replaced the light switch no difference, harness and wires seemed fine. Do I need to take the harness completly appart to tell if any thing is wrong? Headlights work fine as they should. running lights only come on in the wrong position, a little toward the headlight side of the switch. Exactly the same as ironpants. Flash to pass does not work either. I did have a blown fuse for the right tail light. I have also tested the large fuses in the power dist. box, and moved the relays arround. is it possible that the wires are bad elsewhere?
Old 12-16-2004, 11:40 AM
New User

got it! I missed the headlight fuse in the dark with a flashlight. I had pulled every fuse but it was a very tiny melt and the pliers covered up the break. Can drive at night again!
Old 12-17-2004, 12:09 AM
Senior User

Glad you got yours...
I tried all fuses...
nothing yet,

This weekend, I will test the harness and switch. May be the switch is NOT the correct one for the truck (all 3 switches actually).

Old 12-17-2004, 08:12 AM
New User

headlights

Ironpants; what year is your van truck? mine was a 2000, does your flash to pass work? this was the tip off for me. other than this problem our symptoms are exactly the same. I had found at least 5 fuses that dealt with the lights, but only #10 affected the flash to pass, I not trying to say its a fuse, but the problem may lie in that circuit, maybe no power getting to the fuse or between the fuse and your switch (most likely) especially since you have a melted spot. but if it was a short you would be popping fuses, so its more apt to be an open circuit, unless youre truck has flash to pass and the switches do not support it, hence just like a blown fuse, no power to that part, after 3 switches I would say its not the switch. thanks for your intrest in helping me. if I can be of any assistance please feel free to email me.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:00 AM
Senior User

Flash to pass works.
I can get the running lights on and hold the flash to pass to see for a while.
Or I can just leave the headlights on, and then high beams work as well.

It is a 1994 F350.

I am ripping into it tommorow. If I can't get the stock setup to work, I will run a couple wires and toggle switches..... That will be a shame though, since this is the only vehicle I own that does not have after market toggle switches for components.

Old 12-18-2004, 12:00 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Electrical Systems/Wiring

Tags
1991, 1994, 2000, bad, dashlight, f150, f350, faulty, ford, headlight, headligth, switch, switches, symptoms, testing, truck, van