Old 12-10-2004, 12:35 AM
jyd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help with egr system

hello,

99 ranger
3 litter v6

My egr system is driving me up the wall. first my dpfe sensor melted where the hoses conect, and the hi pressure hose melted at the egr tube. A friend of mine told me that it might have happend as a result of a clogd orfice in the egr tube, so i replaced dpfe sensor, the egr tube, and both hoses (upstream and downstream.) Now both hoses keep poping off, and melting. I don't know if i bought the right hoses or if it makes a diffrence. Ther new hoses are the same size as the old ones, but the originals, had some sort of fiber woven in them and theese don't. Another thing that im curiose about is if i am getting to much preasure between the egr tube and the dpfe sensor. The air coming out of the egr tube is extremly hot and there is quit a bit of pressure (in my oppinion.) Im worried that if i get the the hoses to stay on that it might melt the new dpfe sensor. Theese sensor don't apear to be made out of anything to heavy duty and like i said befor, the heat coming out of the egr tube is pretty extreme.

I really need help with this cause im starting a new job and i need my truck up and running.

any help would be gratly appreciated
thanks, Joe

Old 12-10-2004, 03:52 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the hoses are not standard vacuum hoses. I would expect the air to be very hot since it's the exhaust right from the exhaust manifold.

Old 12-10-2004, 10:29 PM
jyd
New User
Well, i replaced the hoses today with official parts from a ford outlet. The pdfe sensor is new, the egr tube is new, and the hoses are new. The truckis now runnig worse than it ever has in the last 5 years. It has no power what so ever, and it's starting to misfire now. My mechanic friend said it might be the cadilitic converter. Any thoughts? I can't afford to keep shelling out money on this thing, and Ive been reading so much trying to find the cause that my eyes are starting to fall out.

Old 12-10-2004, 11:39 PM
el conquistador
Posting Guru
to test the cat., put a vacuum guage on and increase the rpm's to 2k for a minute or two. if the vacuum drops then the cat is probably clogged.

Old 12-11-2004, 10:21 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Why not have the computer scanned for any stored codes.
Most auto parts stores like Advance Auto, Autozone, ect, in my area will pull the codes, at no cost, check engine light or not.

Some say the stores won't pull the codes unless the CEL is on, if thats your case, tell them it goes on & off & your pretty shure there are stored codes onboard.

This could point to a suspect system & if your lucky maybe even the suspect part.

Post ALL the codes you find.