Headers Debate!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 12:29 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headers Debate!!!

Upon Sigma's request...

Who would get headers for their truck for $300? Why? Would it be worth it? C'mon I aint got all day!!!

Old 12-09-2004, 12:59 PM
sigma
Senior User
Do headers produce more HP? Absolutely!

Most standard exhaust manifolds are designed to simply collect spent combustion gasses so the rest of the exhaust system can carry the discharge away. With a few exceptions, they are simply built to fit in the available space and connect the various exhaust pieces together with little or no thoughts toward enhancing performance.

On the other hand a header's primary function is to enhance performance by scavenging spent exhaust from the combustion cylinder, rather than letting the gasses find their own way out under combustion pressure. By design, headers are 'tuned' to create peak performance in a specific RPM range. This range is dictated by the tubing diameter, length and tube/collector configuration. Most modern aftermarket headers are designed to be optimally efficient somewhere between 3,000 to 4,000 RPMs.

Typically the larger the tube diameter, the higher the intended rpm range. Typically, longer tube or smaller tube headers produce more bottom end power.

Keep in mind that the narrower the intended rpm range of the header, the higher the power produced at that point. Think of the powerband on a motocross motorcycle – when you get to the right RPM range your GONE! The downside is as power output increases with the precise header tuning, performance will be reduced both above and below the intended rpm range. A header that works best at 4000 RPM will cost you some bottom end.

Old 12-09-2004, 01:35 PM
low
Senior User
I think it would be nice to have, but I don't know about 450 bucks. Where are you getting the 300 price? I think it would be worth it. I have a sport truck mag where they put header, mac intake, pulleys, gibson exhaust, 180 thermostat, and some other stuff. They claimed a gain of 40 hp!

Old 12-09-2004, 01:40 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sigma
Do headers produce more HP? Absolutely!

Typically the larger the tube diameter, the higher the intended rpm range. Typically, longer tube or smaller tube headers produce more bottom end power.

Keep in mind that the narrower the intended rpm range of the header, the higher the power produced at that point. Think of the powerband on a motocross motorcycle – when you get to the right RPM range your GONE! The downside is as power output increases with the precise header tuning, performance will be reduced both above and below the intended rpm range. A header that works best at 4000 RPM will cost you some bottom end.
Ditto. I would, especially if I had forced induction, or every other bolt-on possible.

Garrett

Old 12-09-2004, 03:55 PM
homer4.2
Posting Guru
Headers aren't worth buyin to me, unless the headers you got now are rustin out like crazy! I'd rather buy a chip before headers, that'd be the last thing I'd get....

Old 12-09-2004, 07:42 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Homer,

I am debating whether or not to get headers, but the future definitely holds a chip. I have been told by a few that you need to program/flash the chip for headers. Just a little FYI....

So if i do end up getting headers, I'd get them before I got the chip. Thing is, I want the chip more!

Old 12-09-2004, 08:44 PM
homer4.2
Posting Guru
haha, sounds like a toss up. I hate that...If I were you, in your shoes, I'd just get a chip and no headers.

Old 12-10-2004, 06:14 AM
sigma
Senior User
As far as bang for the buck goes, headers are probably in the same class as a chip or tune. You will be able to actually see/measure the difference before and after. Would it be similar 10 – 20 HP gains? I have no idea. IMO, you can’t really say that headers will add XX HP, because they are designed to enhance your existing flow. The higher the level of modification, the bigger the gain you will see from adding headers.

Things to keep in mind:
1. Equal length tubes are better than unequal length

2. Ceramic coating increases header efficiency and decreases under hood temperatures.

3. Long tubes would probably work best on our engines but only shorty style is available. It may be possible to install 3.8L Mustang long-tubes on our trucks with minimal modifications, but I don’t know anyone who has actually done this.

4. 1.5 to 1.625 inch tubes should work best with our motors.

5. I believe you will have to have a chip/tune programmed for headers.

Old 12-10-2004, 09:47 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
I'm right with you on the Headers Sigma.

Also, I've asked Ken a couple of times, and you do not have to reprogram the chip for the shorty headers. If there were long tube headers for our trucks, you would have to reprogram for them, but there aren't any.

Also, there is a guy that is doing the 3.8L long tube setup...well, he's in the process anyways. I'll keep you all updated on that later on. So far, he hasn't even bought them yet.

Also...to answer low's question...

www.macperformance.com

Go to that site, call the toll free contact number, and you can order the headers for $300.00 for your truck. They ARE ceramic coated, equal length, shorty headers that are direct replacements. Also, they don't stockpile the headers, they make them when you order them right off the press...the downside is that it takes longer to get them in.

Old 12-10-2004, 03:30 PM
homer4.2
Posting Guru
I agree with both of you two also. But I remember Tom saying something a long time ago about long tube headers being produced for the 4.2L V6 by fall of 2005. It had to of been early summer when he posted that, I can't remember.

Btw-what happened to Tom again? He didn't get on FTE for like 3 straight months and then he posted like a madman for a month or so and I haven't seen him lately again. Tom?

Old 12-10-2004, 05:38 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm....

I remember joe saying the same thing about the long tubes about a month or so ago.

As for Tom, i emailed him at work about 2 weeks ago, he had an auto-reply saying he would be out of the office for x amout of time. It's probably the same reason he's not posting.

The shorty MAC's sound like the best bet right now, since the long tubes aren't available. Hmmmm....choices choices choices....

Old 12-10-2004, 06:28 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
Yea, I've heard the long tubes are supposed to be out next year towards the end...but not at all for sure.

Old 12-10-2004, 11:34 PM
homer4.2
Posting Guru
Are they made by MAC?

Old 12-11-2004, 03:59 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
I'm not sure, but I'd figure they are.

Old 12-12-2004, 03:18 PM
low
Senior User
Thanks True4.2. I have seen the JBA's for 450, I have not been able to find the ones on mac's website. I'm going to look again.

Quick Reply: Headers Debate!!!