General Automotive Discussion

How to Vacation in Europe with your truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 08:41 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How to Vacation in Europe with your truck

Drive to the East Coast; Philadelphia or Boston..or , best of all, Newfoundland... and from there for about $2k you can load yourself and the truck on a ferry which connects to Rotterdam. Nothing says "Enthusiam" like having a photo of you and your truck posing in front of the great monuments of Europe. I'm still trying to figure out if there's ferry service between Russia and Alaska. Round the world in an F-100! I gotta do some research and find out if parts for a '53 with a 215 six are available in Siberia. A person might even find a sponsor for such an outrageous idea.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:31 AM
sandrat
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just remember, they drive on the wrong side of the road over there. Won't matter if you put a big enough brush guard on the front though. I can't imagine going cross-country across Russia. That would take awhile. If your going, can you make a side trip over to China? I could really go for some Chinese food right now....

Old 12-09-2004, 09:36 AM
wahoo
Senior User
It would be much more enjoyable and cheaper in a european car, or even a mustang.

Old 12-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
That opposite side of the road driving (which I personally prefer) isn't everywhere over there.

England,Scotland,etc

France is the same as USA,Germany,etc, etc

Old 12-09-2004, 02:17 PM
zuikoman
Senior User
Driving on the wrong side is mostly limited to islands (Austrailia, UK, Ireland, NZ, Japan etc). Which makes sense... you wouldn't want to have a lot of transitions back and forth driving from one country to the next.

The traffic circles they got over there are great... very efficient. Wish we could have them here, but so many people do not know how to use them here. As a result, they just end up causing a lot of accidents wherever they put them in.

Old 12-09-2004, 05:34 PM
eehoepp
Elder User
Ummm... there are a lot of narrow streets in Europe, particularly in the old areas of some cities. Be a shame to scratch the paint on a classic or miss some of the sights 'cause your truck don't fit. Plus I think the gas prices would be a killer.

Cheers,
Eric

Old 12-09-2004, 06:07 PM
Samsonitesamsonite
Elder User
Ever seen Eurotrip? thats the best way to travel in Europe!!!

Old 12-09-2004, 07:33 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by eehoepp
Ummm... there are a lot of narrow streets in Europe, particularly in the old areas of some cities. Be a shame to scratch the paint on a classic or miss some of the sights 'cause your truck don't fit. Plus I think the gas prices would be a killer.

Cheers,
Eric
I rode on a huge tour bus the last time I was over there, I was amazed at the places that bus driver took that thing. And I noticed that people gave him room to manuever, not like here where they go out of their way to cut you off, and don't have a clue that a bigger vehicle can't quite fit in the same places as a smaller vehicle. But just drive a Ranger, that should fit most places. You probably don't want to pay for the fuel that a larger truck would burn at European prices, anyway! -TD

Old 12-09-2004, 07:49 PM
JerseysBest
Senior User
gas will be a killer, its at least a $1 per liter so it'll be around 4 bucks gallon, yikes

Old 12-10-2004, 07:34 PM
polar88
Junior User
Russia is getting ready to become a very bad idea. Putin is getting ready to make Visas and passports location specific. That means that if you plan on "traveling" around, you are going to have to purchase travel permits from the gov't. They are going to be expensive and very hard to get. The Mexican police force can't hold a candle to the corruption in Russia. The Soviet mentatlity is making a strong comeback. Go to Western Europe or Mongolia, forget Russia.

Old 12-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'd just stay at home with a big bowl of popcorn and watch Eurotrip. Lock the doors.

Old 12-10-2004, 08:02 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Gasoline in UK is about $9.00/gal Cdn

or $7.00+ /gallon Usd.

ie: 1 GBP = $2.30 cdn

Old 12-10-2004, 09:59 PM
Arrow201
Junior User
Originally Posted by zuikoman
The traffic circles they got over there are great... very efficient. Wish we could have them here, but so many people do not know how to use them here. As a result, they just end up causing a lot of accidents wherever they put them in.

There starting to build traffic circles/roundabouts in Ontario. Here in Waterloo they have just built three or so. I like them more then regular intersections. There quicker and safer because more people pay attention to other drivers and go slower, as opposed to aimisley waiting for the light to turn green, and just going. You can't run a roundabout like you can a run a intersection or stop sign. And speeds are so much slower so if one does get hit by another car, there is less damage to the vechicle and less chance of fatal injury to the occupants.

I also watched on the news a special about building traffic circles in Michigan. Apparently the concept is catching on in North America.

Old 12-10-2004, 10:11 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a small traffic circle here in Lakeport. Most people seem to be able to handle it OK, but I've seen a few who seem to be terminally confused by it. A few weeks ago I watched an elderly woman drive up to the thing, she wanted to turn left but the signs all said one way pointing to the right...she didn't want to go right, so she just went left anyway! People were diving out of her way to avoid a head-on. And some others just don't get the idea of yield and merge, it's really a pain, and a traffic hazard. It would be a great thing if people would only get a clue! -TD

Old 12-11-2004, 06:47 PM
Samsonitesamsonite
Elder User
did this thread just get hijacked?

Quick Reply: How to Vacation in Europe with your truck