Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Another lift question but more specific questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 01:42 AM
Lee Lichterman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another lift question but more specific questions

OK, I know this has been beaten to death but I did a search and couldn't find an answer. I know I might start a flame war since everyone loves their own brand but this is what I saw.........

I have researched to death a lift. I want a 4" suspension lift and most say not to mix a body lift or mix with other brands.

The Tuff country is cheapest but their Radius arm design only goes up and down and don't have any side to side sway to allow for the arc of the axle. I also heard their brackets aren't that good and can crack. Add to this that the Pitman arm drop is seperate, they use blocks in the back etc etc so I ruled them out.

Just didnt see much value in most of the other competitors as they all leave out key items and charge an arm and a leg. Rought Country and Trail Master are basically bracket systems that charge like they are radius arm systems. No thanks.

This gets me down to what many consider the best but they charge for it. Skyjacker and Rancho. Both of these offer extended radius arms, dropped pitman arm brackets and coils. Both however do not have sway bar drops and leave out the shocks which many of the cheaper systems did offer for less money. Skyjacker offers Leaf springs which is a plus but charges enough that I can buy the leafs seperate from Rancho or Tough country and still come out ahead.

I can't tell how the Skyjacker Radius arms work as for angles allowed etc. The Rancho radius arms look awesome and it seems to be a bit cheaper.

I am not planning on climbing rocks, cliffs or swimming a River. I just want to be able to get back into snow covered mountain hunting spots, drag out an Elk or deer, and cross a dry creek bed once in a while. Do I really need extended radius arms????

Can I get sway bar drop brackets anywhere other than Tuff Country? It seems if everything else needs to be dropped, the sway bar should be dropped also or the alignment will be all screwed up.

Rancho and Tuff Country both offer leaf springs separately. I don't want blocks in the back and the add a leaf doesn't seem to much like a good idea either. Isn't a leaf spring a leaf spring. Any harm in being cheap here after spending more on the front end?

I am disappointed that both the high end systems leave out the shocks knowing full well most 4x4 Fords have dual shocks in front. When compared to Tuff Country, it sure makes them look more expensive in comparison.

Just how much weaker ifs Tuff country and can it be braced with a back plate to make it better? I read a few articles that swore their system was as good if not better than Skyjacker and Rancho and they do have teh Cam bolt system that makes alignments easier.

My truck is a daily driver as well as a hauling and hunting vehicle. I would be very upset if I couldn't get it aligned properly and started eating through tires.

Installation isnt a problem. I just finished converting this from 2WD to 4x4 so I think I know this suspension insdie and out now.

Anyway, looking for insights as to how to get a complete system when all these kits seem to leave out critical parts. Sway bar drops, shocks, rear leaf springs etc etc.

I will ask my brake question on a separate thread.

Lee

Old 12-07-2004, 04:27 AM
SRD4X4
Posting Guru
I might not answer all your questions,but here goes.I personally prefer Rancho,have used and installed most brands and main complaint with all of them is premature coil sag.With 4'' you don't need to change radius arms,just use drop brackets.They used to give the brackets to drop sway-bar in the kit.A few yrs. ago a Rep. from rancho told me not all the kits include shocks because they make so many different one's they leave the choice up to customer,to upgrade.As far as rear springs,I have never had a prob. with add-a-leafs as long as all the originals are in good shape and that leaves a couple extra $ to spend on something else.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:13 AM
Lee Lichterman
Elder User
Thanks, the shocks thing makes sense I guess.

I wonder why they stopped with teh sway bar drops though? Maybe some want to keep them full time and others want quick disconnect.

Glad to hear a vote for Rancho as I am starting to lean that way and they have a local rep out here so I can save on shipping costs.

Thanks again,

Lee

Old 12-07-2004, 06:08 PM
Chris_ce
Posting Guru
I bought a superlift kit from http://www.tyres1.com/ and it came with everything shock, brackets, extended arms, sway bar brakets, pitman arm, and springs. The only things I needed to buy was shock boots and brake lines.
Go to the superlift web site and check their lifts they are right up there with the skyjacker kits.

Old 12-07-2004, 06:37 PM
Lee Lichterman
Elder User
Originally Posted by chris_ce
I bought a superlift kit from http://www.tyres1.com/ and it came with everything shock, brackets, extended arms, sway bar brakets, pitman arm, and springs. The only things I needed to buy was shock boots and brake lines.
Go to the superlift web site and check their lifts they are right up there with the skyjacker kits.
Hw do you like it so far and what size tires are you running? My main concern is to have curved Radius arms as right now I am rubbing on them with my 33" in turns. The only curved ones I saw were the Ranchos so I am leaning heavy that way right now.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

What are the votes as to how each of these ride. My truck was a 2Wd and I just recently converted it to 4x4. Before it drove almost like a luxory car. Fairly smooth considering but since hte 4x4 conversion, it is stiff as heck. I wouldn't mind leaning towards the "soft side" during this lift.

Lee

Last edited by Lee Lichterman; 12-07-2004 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:05 PM
Chris_ce
Posting Guru
I love my lift. I am running 35/12.50/15
My radius arms are curved but I still get a little rubbing on them. I think you will on any of them unless you change the backspacing of your wheels or adjust the turning stop points which I have not done so far. Rubbing is overrated anyway. There are pics in my gallery.