Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

6.1 liter HEMI in new 300, Magnun, Grand Cherokee SRT-8

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 08:12 PM
CTford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.1 liter HEMI in new 300, Magnun, Grand Cherokee SRT-8

I heard that Chrysler is putting a new 6.1 liter hemi in the future Chrysler 300C-SRT-8, Dodge Magnum SRT-8, and most importantly the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8. Does anyone know the specs on this engine? I imagine that it is just a slightely bored out 5.7 liter which is what they have in there now. Why doesn't Ford get on the ball and offer something like this in the explorer- the superduty V-10 or Powerstroke would be AWESOME in the Explorer, if they could find the room for it.
The vehicles would be slightely different as well, with bigger wheels and modified exterior.

Old 12-05-2004, 08:26 PM
Musclecar_Fan
Senior User
Yes, the 6.1 HEMI will be in the following Chrysler products.

Chrysler 300 SRT-8
Dodge Magnum SRT-8
Dodge Charger SRT-8
Dodge Ram 2500/3500
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8

Thats wll I know right now. Ther could be more in the future like the Ram 1500. Havn't read anything about it though.

Engine Stats:

Displacement:.(Litres-6.1) (Cubic Inches-370)
Horsepower:...425
Tourqe:.........440

Thats 85 more horses than the 5.7 HEMI. (25% more Hp)

There are the basics of the new 6.1 HEMI V8.

Here is a more detailed review of the new motor:

http://www.thehemi.com/news.php?id=20040813-1

Last edited by Musclecar_Fan; 12-05-2004 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:01 AM
wnorman1192
Senior User
The 6.1L hemi will not be offered in the Ram 2500/3500 trucks. This engine was designed to be an SRT-only option, and that is a good idea, since if you are going to pay extra for the SRT option, it would be nice to have an exclusive engine. The 2500/3500 rams will have a larger engine than a 6.1. More than likely a 7.0L + Hemi V8 or V10 tuned for torque.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:53 AM
CTford
Senior User
Yeah, those trucks need something with better low-end torque, but that 6.1 liter is a monster. I don't care whether you love Mopar or hate it, but everyone has to admit that that is a monster. 425 HP, 420 P/FT torque!!!!!!!

Old 12-06-2004, 11:30 AM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
The 6.1 Hemi also requires premium gas to make it's 425 HP and 420 ft-lbs. I don't think it would be a good idea to build a work truck motor that requires premium as it is not available in lots of rural areas. I would imagine a detuned regular or midgrade gas version to be around 400HP 390 ft-lbs, which is still decent, but then you have to look at the fact that the motor is spinning at 6000 RPM's to reach that HP peak. Just like the 5.7 Hemi, great car or Grand Cherokee motor, but does not belong in a truck.

Old 12-06-2004, 01:46 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I wonder if Ford will put the supposed "Hurricane" motor in the Explorer???
I would imagine it would be in the Expedition...

Old 12-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Musclecar_Fan
Senior User
If Dodge was going to put a 7.0 HEMI V10 in the RAm it would be old news by now. The 8.0L V10 was just dropped in 03, Dodge would have had another V10 lined up for the Ram by now. The 6.1, will be in the SRT-8 models, along with the Ram 2500/3500 trucks, as I have heard from plenty of reliable sources. Im 99% sure that it will be.

Anyway, the new HEMI is what Mopar fans expect out of the HEMI name. It is Chrysler's highest output engine ever, exceeding even the 426 HEMI of the 60s. Clearly an awsome motor.

Old 12-06-2004, 05:11 PM
wnorman1192
Senior User
Originally Posted by Musclecar_Fan
If Dodge was going to put a 7.0 HEMI V10 in the RAm it would be old news by now. The 8.0L V10 was just dropped in 03, Dodge would have had another V10 lined up for the Ram by now. The 6.1, will be in the SRT-8 models, along with the Ram 2500/3500 trucks, as I have heard from plenty of reliable sources. Im 99% sure that it will be.

Anyway, the new HEMI is what Mopar fans expect out of the HEMI name. It is Chrysler's highest output engine ever, exceeding even the 426 HEMI of the 60s. Clearly an awsome motor.
Don't get me wrong, I like Mopar just as much as Ford. In fact, is there anything else out there? The 6.1 may be an awsome motor, especially as a performance engine, but it's just not what the Dodge HD's need. The 6.1 is not much larger than the 5.7, and has been tuned purely for performance. If it is tuned for Torque, it just wouldn't be that much of an upgrade over the 5.7. I have read a quote from the head of PVO, and he said that the 6.1 was going to be exclusive to the SRT badge. They will either bring out a new engine around 7L, which I have heard rumors of, or they will just leave a void in their HD truck lineup. They may very well not replace the 8L V10, since that market it small and shrinking quickly as more people go straight for the diesel anyway.

Old 12-06-2004, 06:19 PM
captchas
Thumbs down hemi's

hay guys
just to bring you up musclecar-fan works where he is untop of his product mopars, if you don't like him telling the truth as he knows it back off. us guys working in dealerships have better access to news of those products better then any one . if you have a ? or 2 about mopar ask the man for what he knows, don't rip him a new six. you may just be wrong

Last edited by captchas; 12-06-2004 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:40 PM
wnorman1192
Senior User
I hope nobody thought I was ripping someone or showing any disrespect. I like reading musclecarfans threads, as he brings alot to the table, especially concerning mopar as competition. I closely follow both mopar and ford, and enjoy conversations with anyone who follows either. I was just offering my opinion from what I've heard about the new 6.1, and I certainly could (probably will) be wrong. I've also worked at Ford and Dodge dealerships in the past. I've got to say the Dodge dealership was much more laid back (maybe thats why they don't sell as many). That would actually be an interesting topic, comparing the mindsets of Ford vs Dodge dealerships and their advantages and disadvantages.

Old 12-06-2004, 09:12 PM
BigF350
Hotshot

I honestly think those figures aren't that impressive...
It is a 6.1l engine for crying out load, and a performance engine at that.
The likes of BMW have a 5.0l NA aspirated engine that makes 500hp, and almost 400lb ft of torque.
Even Ford in Australia has a 4.0l inline 6 with a low pressure turbo (9lb boost) that makes 406lb ft.

Mopar IMO used to be one of, if not the greatest engine builders in the world, now IMO, they appear to be just resting on their laurels...

Last edited by BigF350; 12-06-2004 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:16 PM
Musclecar_Fan
Senior User
Smile

Thankyou very much for the compliments guys. This is a great site, I have learned alot about the competition, and already know alot about Mopars. My uncle works at a Ford dealer that does very well, and My gradfather owns two Chrysler dealers. I have learned so much from them, and my father who works sells cars aswell. I study cars like there is no tomorrow. Definately my favorite hobby.

WNORMAN1192.

I didn't think you were ripping me at all. And I think you brough up some really good points. I like you don't see the 6.1 HEMI succeeding in the Rams unless they are a different variant of the same motor. More low end tourqe, being a big one. Just like the old 8.0 V10. That thing was a workhorse. Too bad they dropped it. The 6.1 in the SRT-8 models on the other hand will be a blast for car enthusiastes everwhere. I have articles about the 300 SRT-8 and the thing is a powerhouse. The new HEMI option will be the most powerfull V8 ever from Chrysler. Even more that the 426.( mind you the 426 really had 500hp) The new engine makes more horses per cubic inch. Making it the top output V8 in Chrysler's history. I would love to see this engine in the Rams, as would many others. Truly an awsome American V8!

To answer your question, I am not quite sure if there is anything elses out there that Dodge has in mind. Besides the V12 and the V10 HEMI I refered to im my first reply to this thread. I will try to find out more, but as far as I know this is what is gong down right now.

Old 12-06-2004, 11:24 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BigF350

I honestly think those figures aren't that impressive...
It is a 6.1l engine for crying out load, and a performance engine at that.
The likes of BMW have a 5.0l NA aspirated engine that makes 500hp, and almost 400lb ft of torque.
Even Ford in Australia has a 4.0l inline 6 with a low pressure turbo (9lb boost) that makes 406lb ft.

Mopar IMO used to be one of, if not the greatest engine builders in the world, now IMO, they appear to be just resting on their laurels...
And lamborghini makes an 800 hp 3.0. Problem is. Its a little more expensive. A 500hp 5.0 bmdub is gonna cost yah.
Im not certain but I think the 6.1 hemi may be one of the highest brake specific output na engine manufactured by the big 3. Most bang per liter in other words. 69 hp per liter. Im aware of what the japanese can do with very little displacement. But in american terms. This is pretty good. The Corvette would be up there. 70ish maybe.

Old 12-07-2004, 12:30 AM
WOLFD
Senior User
Thankyou very much for the compliments guys. This is a great site, I have learned alot about the competition, and already know alot about Mopars. My uncle works at a Ford dealer that does very well, and My gradfather owns two Chrysler dealers. I have learned so much from them, and my father who works sells cars aswell. I study cars like there is no tomorrow. Definately my favorite hobby.

WNORMAN1192.

I didn't think you were ripping me at all. And I think you brough up some really good points. I like you don't see the 6.1 HEMI succeeding in the Rams unless they are a different variant of the same motor. More low end tourqe, being a big one. Just like the old 8.0 V10. That thing was a workhorse. Too bad they dropped it. The 6.1 in the SRT-8 models on the other hand will be a blast for car enthusiastes everwhere. I have articles about the 300 SRT-8 and the thing is a powerhouse. The new HEMI option will be the most powerfull V8 ever from Chrysler. Even more that the 426.( mind you the 426 really had 500hp) The new engine makes more horses per cubic inch. Making it the top output V8 in Chrysler's history. I would love to see this engine in the Rams, as would many others. Truly an awsome American V8!

To answer your question, I am not quite sure if there is anything elses out there that Dodge has in mind. Besides the V12 and the V10 HEMI I refered to im my first reply to this thread. I will try to find out more, but as far as I know this is what is gong down right now.

Actually the 426 Hemi had more torque : 490 lb ft @4000 rpm. The 6.1 only has 420 lb ft.

Old 12-07-2004, 12:47 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
I am well aware that American motors traditionally have not had high specific power outputs, torque and an even spread of power has traditionally been one of the US strengths.

However, back in the good old days American manufacturers made THE BEST engines, irrespective of cost.
The likes of the 426, or the 351C, and especially the 427 side oiler could not be beaten by any manufacturer

American cars could never (and I know I am going to tread on some toes here, but anyhow) handle, and they are a lot better now, but still not great.

It used to be:
If you wanted a car that handled, you bought a European car.
If you wanted a car that was rediculously relible, but boring, you bought a Japanese car.
If you wanted a car that went like stink, you bought an American car.

Now I do not expect a 300 SRT-8 to out handle a BMW M5, but by the same token, if I bought an SRT-8, I wouldn't want to be beaten by an M5 at the 1/4 mile...

I couldn't care if they had to put the viper motor into the 300, if it is an American performance car, it should be able to beat all comers in a straight line.

Realistically, what performance times can you expect from this motor?
Mid 13's at best IMO,
An E55 or the new M5 will blow that out of the water.

I know it sounds a bit passe saying 425hp & mid 13's aren't enough, but the game has moved on, and if Mopar (or anyone else for that matter) wants to play, they had better keep up.

Saying this is an awesome engine IMO is pushing it.
Yes, not a bad engine, prehaps even a good one, but its not even registering on my awesome engine scale yet...

Quick Reply: 6.1 liter HEMI in new 300, Magnun, Grand Cherokee SRT-8