General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

acoustic guitars

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 04:20 PM
88grandmarquis
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
acoustic guitars

I've been tossing around the idea of getting an acoustic guitar. Don't know if I'd get used or new, yet. Wondering if you folks have any opinions on certian brands/types. Right now I play a Fender Squire Strat.

------------------
Justin

Old 12-04-2004, 04:23 PM
13MWZ
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use to have a Gibson Epephone (something like that) that I won in a contest. It was autographed by Tim McGraw. That was back before anybody realy knew his name and I played it so much I rubbed off the autograph. Not that I realy cared about it anyways. I wish it was still there now though cuz some goober would buy it, and it was free to me!

Oh yea, almost forgot. It was a good guitar as far as I'm consorned. But up untill that one all I had ever played was "cheepo" $70-$100 guitars.

Old 12-04-2004, 04:40 PM
Bullet-Nose
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on your playing level, style of music, and depth of your pockets. Yamaha, Seagull, better Washburns, Ibanez (I have a real nice Ibanez, underrated guitar as far as I'm concerned), Martin, etc-etc; all nice players. A friend of mine owns a flame maple Gibson J-200, beyond sweet! The best playing guitar I ever handled was a Taylor. My advice is try a bunch, buy the one that suits you. Happy Hunting!

Old 12-04-2004, 06:20 PM
ALSAIR
Elder User
Have to agree with Bullet-Nose Ibanez is a totally underated guitar. Do your self a favor. Go buy a book on guitars and it will tell you what to look for in a Guitar. I.E. warped neck, how to check it. If you are starting out, look for a good used Guitar. Guitars are relly expensive, and if you go to a shop they are probably going to try to sell you something really nice and EXPENSIVE. Good luck.
Al

Old 12-04-2004, 08:24 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm a Martin fan, for me you can't beat the sound or the quality. They have some more affordable models available now, so you don't have to break the bank to own one. I have had an Ibanez, I was very impressed at the sound and playabilty for the money I paid for it. I also was impressed with a Simon & Patrick that a friend bought a few years ago. It really is all about what you want to do with it and your level of expertise in playing the thing, not to mention your budget. Solid wood or laminate? Mahogany, Rosewood, or an exotic? Cutaway, or non-cutaway? 12 frets clear to the neck or 14? All things to consider, plus many more. There are so many good guitars out there these days, the choices can be overwhelming. I'd do some research, visit some stores and play some guitars, see what grabs you. When you find THE ONE, you'll know. -TD

Old 12-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Jerry Gougeon
Elder User
88 : Bullet-Nose has the right advice for you . decide how much you are going to spend go to a shop with a good selection and play a bunch till you find the one that feels right .

The sound quality within the price range you choose will vary little and usually can be altered with your choice of strings .

I have played all my life and presently have 5 guitars and just sold a Hofner Beatle bass that I did not play . My favorite acoustic is a 1965 Martin D-35
which I bought for $500 in a bar and now sells for $4300 US.

Although I have a Fender Strat that I tried out about 30 before choosing, I still like to play an antique 1953 Kay solid body which has a sound that I've never heard from any other and this one sold new for $29.95 .

Buy it with your fingers then your ear .

Old 12-04-2004, 09:04 PM
ranger240
Elder User
I personally like the Takamine line of guitars. I am biased though, I have a LTD97 santa fe (limited to just a very few in the LTD trim), the regular santa fe's are quite fine and alot more affordable than the LTD editions. it is a cutaway acoustic with an electronic eq and pickup (which I never use)

check out the Jackson/Charvelle line as well. you can have a very nice sounding guitar for a very reasonable price, and most of the jackson/charvelle accoustics play as well as the electrics.

like said before though, you really want to shop around and see what you like. go to guitar shops, garage sales, pawn shops, anywhere that sells odd stuff, antiqe stores, you never know where you will find the "perfect" axe. good luck and let us know what you find.

Old 12-05-2004, 12:10 AM
SquareWheels
Freshman User
My collection includes US Strats, Gibsons and Guilds etc. but lately i'm blown away by the tone, playability of those Korean Made Corts. Not very hip, and forget about resale, but I find thier mellow warm sound great for blues and thier CHEAP like borcht. I'm almost as obsessed with guitars as I am with my truck.

Last edited by SquareWheels; 12-05-2004 at 12:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-05-2004, 12:14 AM
snowfighter
Elder User
I am partial to Alarvez myself they are japanese made but they sound nice and hold up well.

Old 12-05-2004, 12:24 AM
matt77F2504x4
Elder User
unless you are experienced in buying guitars, i would stay away from used acoustics.

heres how my price breakdown goes:
100-300, fender- theyre acoustics play well and last a long time.

300-700, takamine, or dean. both companies make AMAZING guitars for the money.

700-2000, gibson, guild, or taylor. you just cant go wrong here if youve got the dough!

HTH!

Old 12-05-2004, 06:45 AM
66fdtrucknut
Posting Guru
Depends on your price range, you can either get a "good - cheap guitar" or a "cheap-good guitar" Big difference between a $300 guitar and a $1000- 2000 guitar. I like Martin myself. My 1st guitar was a Fender for about 300 and still have it and sounds good. I think Seagull makes a nice playable guitar for the money.

Old 12-05-2004, 09:11 AM
skeneguy
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an Ovation Legend, probably one of the more controversial and disliked acoustic guitars around! As lots of people have suggested, the best price/quaity ratio is probably Seagull or Patrick, but you gotta play them and see what suits. Seagull/Patrick are solid tops, but don't get the unfinished style if they still make them, they don't visually age well.

Old 12-05-2004, 01:50 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like Alvarez and Takamine myself. Really cheap guitars can warp all out of shape if you buy 'em new; find an older one that's good and straight and it will probably stay that way. My son has a Hondo Les Paul kbock-off from the early '70's and its still fine. Best thing is to take a good player with you if you can. BTW, Ibanez is a great guitar, but I wouldn't call the older ones unappreciated. Have you seen what they're getting for the ones from the Gibson lawsuit era?

Old 12-05-2004, 02:09 PM
drivespline
Junior User
Don't buy a cheap guitar. It'll sound like crap in a year or two and practicing will consist mostly of trying to figure out why you sound like crap.

Old 12-05-2004, 02:16 PM
jrs_big_ford_f150
Posting Guru
Follow drivespline's advice. Don't get a cheap guitar. Get a nice one that sounds good. My real good one is a Martin DX1. Cost me $500 new a few years ago. It sounds awesome.

Quick Reply: acoustic guitars