Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

What I don't like about Ford

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 01:16 AM
tbirdrick
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I don't like about Ford

First off let me say I have never thought about being a 'Ford guy' or a 'Chevy guy', but as it works out I have owned more Fords than anything else. I have had about 100 cars/trucks, hot rods to Peterbuilts. Brand new Fords have included: '72 Pinto, '71 F250, '87 F150, '87 Tempo, '98 F250, '01 Mustang GT, and an '04 F250 diesel (a lemon which is being replaced with an '05 F250 diesel).

At this writing I just sold a '55 Tudor (Chevy powered), have a '56 Victoria (EFI 302), '46 Tudor (Chevy powered), and a '55 T-Bird which is getting, you guessed it, a Chevy motor. Built Ford tough with Chevy stuff.

OK, I think that serves for my bonafides to discuss what I don't like about Ford. It all comes down to their 'trickle down' attitude about vehicle content, and incremental improvements.

Let me clarify. The Mustang came out in '94 with the new body, but the same underpowered (225 HP) 5.0 they had used for several years. A couple years later they put in the new mod motor....same HP. Meanwhile the Camaro has a standard 300 HP, and about 200 in their V-6. Finally a few years later Ford bumps it to 265HP...big deal. The only reason I didn't get the Camaro, is that it was too big. My wifes Toyota mini van only has about 30 less HP.

Another example: I got my '98 F250 LD (the one that looks like a 150). It had three doors (supercab), and 235 HP. The next year they had 4 doors and 260 HP. That was the biggest motor available (5.4). Chevy had more power available accross the board.

The thing I don't like about Ford is the way they introduce a 'new' model, but don't upgrade the whole car to really make it new. They will wait a year or two then put in a new motor, or transmission that it should have had at introduction. Look at the new Ford 500...a good car with an anemic motor that they will upgrade as soon as the 'new' of the new model wears off. Wake up Ford!! That car could be a great car instead of a good car, but you cheaped out on it, the magazines all take note of the weak drivetrain, and it gets a bad rep before anyone sees one.

Same thing with the minivan. They just made some changes and now call it a new van. We looked at it, along with all the others, and bought a Toyota. It just has no pizazz. My wife didn't even want to drive it, said it looked like a rental car. Give it a couple years and Ford will upgrade it to what it should have been all along, but the competition will have moved on by then.

Please, Ford....when you bring out new models, don't make us wait years while you do your engineering backwards by using customers as your quality control testers (6.0 diesel).

Rant over,
Rick

Old 12-04-2004, 02:09 PM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tbirdrick
The thing I don't like about Ford is the way they introduce a 'new' model, but don't upgrade the whole car to really make it new. They will wait a year or two then put in a new motor, or transmission that it should have had at introduction.
Have you been paying attention lately? The new F150 got the 3V 5.4L and a new tranny when it debuted. The new Mustang also got a new engine (3V 4.6L) and a new automatic.

Ford's not the only company that waits until putting new engines in redesigns a couple of years. BMW actually prefers that. They actually hated doing the new 745i because they don't like doing both car redesign and new engine at the same time.

Old 12-04-2004, 02:13 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
I read the story about how BMW did "dislike" the way they built, and seemed to be very concerned about releasing the car ......interesting a company with a reputation, of exacting quality….being worried about a combination motor and chassis release…

Old 12-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
I read the story about how BMW did "dislike" the way they built, and seemed to be very concerned about releasing the car ......interesting a company with a reputation, of exacting quality….being worried about a combination motor and chassis release…
New platform plus new engine = reliability issues. Imagine if ford had redesigned the truck as it released the 6.0. Iron out the chassis. Then iron out the engine. Sounds like a sound approach. As for anemia. I agree.

The reason toyota doesnt make any sweeping changes is because it would kill the reliability. It makes for unimpressive looking cars with very good reliability. If it works. Dont fix it. There at the top of the heap year after year in reliability. Im one of the rare few that will buy an ugly reliable car over a gorgeous piece of junk.

The real problem seems to be that they cant leave anything alone. They get something to be reliable and replace it with something new and unreliable. Find something. Fix it and stick with it.

Old 12-04-2004, 04:58 PM
mootMeddler
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
The real problem seems to be that they cant leave anything alone. They get something to be reliable and replace it with something new and unreliable. Find something. Fix it and stick with it.
I think people at the R&D plant are just plain bored. They want to feel like they're bettering the company and making good use of their expertise. They don't want to sit around like the 5.9 Cummins has long enough to form a rock solid reputation.

Old 12-04-2004, 07:44 PM
KC8QMU
Junior User
I dunno about the 500, but I drove a Taurus with the Duratec 3.0, and I thought it hauled *** pretty good.

You can't take what you read in the magazines as gospel, or trust that it isn't unbiased in the first place.

Old 12-05-2004, 12:27 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
I thought the wifes corrolla was pretty darn fast. But my personal commuter has barely over 60 hp.

Old 12-05-2004, 02:27 AM
Fredericks F750
Junior User
Ok I'll say it since nobody else will,Tbird you joined the wrong site.Why people desicrate a Ford like that is beyond me.Am I being to harsh? Maybe but the last time I checked this was a Ford enthusiasts website and to join it and turn around and complain about Fords and broadcast to all the members how you ruin a good Ford shows one thing,you are not a Ford Enthusiast.Am I being to harsh?,maybe I am but I'm sure there are those who agree as I am sure there are those who do not and will voice their thoughts as I am mine now but so what.As I stated this is a Ford site,not a "I'm a little confused about who I am and what I want site"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink...Well another one comes to mind ..You can lead a Fool to a cliff but you can't make him jump,Bummer huh? I was raised in a Family where loyalty was everything.When I was 5 and riding in my Grand fathers truck we passed a guy in a Chevy broke down and Steam rising from under the hood so I asked my Grand father What was going on and he told me That man is being punished by God for driving a Chevy,being a little skeptical I asked if he was sure and he said of course,and he proceded to ask me where God lived and I said in the sky and he said "and what color is the sky? Blue I said to which he replied"Need I say more?" I had it drilled into my head that Ford was the only way to go.Partially inspired by Clyde barrow(Who never met a Ford he did'nt like and once risked capture when he could'nt find a Ford to steal and walked past a Chevy with the keys in the ignition to find a Ford and witness's heard Bonnie insist that they "just take any damn car" but he refused saying"God would never forgive me")of Bonnie and Clyde Gangster fame and later by working with Junior Johnson (Thee best shine runner and former Nascar Driver) My Father and Grand father were true die hard Ford people.

Old 12-05-2004, 02:58 AM
mootMeddler
Freshman User
You asked if you were being too harsh 2 separate times so I'll answer that for you. Yes. So you are saying you are a fervent supporter of Ford because of your traumatic childhood?

What I heard was take the Ford you buy and never voice any of your complaints because they are all in your head. Take what you get and be happy with it. I know if I had a problem with a new Ford I would complain. Complaints are what a company can grow off of to make themselves better. I'm not talking about anything tbirdrick said I'm only directing this at you.

I like Ford. They make a great truck... and cars to. I'm not going to join a Ford militant political activists group just because I like their trucks. And I'm certainly not going to keep any of my distastes/complaints/problems that I have to myself.

Old 12-05-2004, 06:25 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
We are here to compare vehicles..... NOT PEOPLE...closed