1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Auto Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-1999, 11:48 PM
David
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Transmission

I am considering purchasing a 1996 Ranger XLT Extended Cab with 4.0l V6 and auto
transmission.
I am wondering about the reliability of the automatic transmission against the 5 speed manual.
Does anyone have any opinions or comments?

Any response would be appreciated.
Thank You.

Old 07-07-1999, 07:39 AM
RICHARD
Freshman User
Auto Transmission

Don't know why that would be a problem. Check out Consumers Report (April 1999) and see what the owners report. Most of the Rangers are pretty well bullet-proof except for a few things.
My '92 Explorer with an automatic had no problems.
After you buy it it would be a good idea to service the transmission.

Old 09-28-1999, 12:19 PM
Ken White
Auto Transmission

I currently have a 95 Ranger XLT w/3.0 v6 w/auto tansmission. I have been having trouble with it not upshifting or downshifting properly. The dealer i bought it from kept telling me there was nothing they could do. I am looking for some way to resolve this problem.

Old 12-17-2001, 04:07 PM
jacksullivan69
New User
Auto Transmission

Beware!

I have a 95 XLT 4.01 V6 auto-tranny with less than 46,000 miles. I just had the tranny looked at because it is hesitating between 3rd and 4th. They say I need a new tranny. I have done NO hauling, NO off-roading, NO hard driving.

A lot of new cars have a 5 year/50,000 mile warranty on the drive train. Ford's is 3 yr/36,000, (same as the standard) which tells me they don't have a lot of confidence in their tranny. I think its deplorable for it to go out this early. It will cost me over $3,000 for a new one. Ouch . . .

Old 12-17-2001, 05:43 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Auto Transmission

The auto trannies are good, I would put a cooler on even if you don't tow or haul things, heat kills them.

Poor shifting is not a sign of a bad tranny but can be caused by improper fluid level, misadjusted manual linkage, leaking, bent, sticking diaphragm, loose valve body bolts, sticking valves or governor. Changing the fluid would be a good start if it hasn't been done.

The 3-4 shift is control by the PCM, this can be caused by bad wiring, sticking shift valve or solenoid. Also the MAP, TPS, VSS and vacuum leaks can cause issues with this shift. I would start with changing the fluid since you are overdue if you haven't done it.

Poor/no engagement, roughness, shuddering, slipping, missed shifts and burnt fluid are some of the bad signs. Hope this helps everyone.

Old 12-17-2001, 11:33 PM
Harry Rathien
New User
Auto Transmission