1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

4.0L SOHC Timing Chain Rattle Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 09:39 PM
fstann
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a 2001 Ranger Off-Road with the 4.0L SOHC engine. When I go over 2500 RPM when the engine is cold, I get a sound like a loud baby rattle or rattle-snake coming from the engine. It lasts about 5 minutes, until the engine warms up. I took it in for service and was shown TSB 14868, which describes the problem precisely. The TSB indicates that the noise is from the Primary Timing Chain, and indicates that "This condition will not affect engine durability." The TSB goes on to say that "Service should not be performed for this condition at this time." It also says that "Engineering is investigating" and that the problem can occur in the "1997-2002 Explorer." I've owned 5 Fords since 1975, but I'm sorry - this sounds pretty lame to me. If the problem has been exhibited since 1997, why hasn't it been fixed? An unusual loud noise from the engine is a problem all by itself, regardless of how it affects engine durability. I tend to lay off the accelerator for the first 5 minutes every morning that I drive the truck because it's so wierd. Am I being "picky" or is Ford being irresponsible? Honestly, I would not have purchase the truck if I'd known about the problem.

Old 12-18-2001, 09:08 AM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was another TSB that Ford issued for the Explorer, I don't have the one you listed, yours might be an update to this one. They also issued a recall for the Explorer. I posted the first section of the TSB and the dealer letter below, hope this helps.

TSB 99-26-05, Publication Date: DECEMBER 14, 1999

FORD: 1997-2000 EXPLORER, MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE: A "knocking" noise at start up for up to 2 minutes from the left hand front chain cassette area may occur on some vehicles. After engine shutdown, the tensioner oil supply gallery empties. The noise may be due to air entering the left hand tensioner when the engine is restarted.

ACTION: Replace the left hand camshaft tensioner with a revised Tensioner Kit. Refer to the Instruction Sheet within the Tensioner Kit for service procedure details.

Recall 00M12
November 2000

To: All Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

Subject: Owner Notification Program 00M12 - Certain 1997 through 2000 Explorer/Mountaineer and 2001 Explorer Sport/Sport-Trac Vehicles Equipped with 4.0L SOHC Engines - Camshaft Chain Tensioner and Lower Intake Manifold Gasket Additional Coverage

PROGRAM TERMS: On the affected vehicles, this program extends the coverage for the 4.0L SOHC camshaft chain tensioner and lower intake manifold gasket to 6 years or 72,000 miles from the vehicle’s warranty start date, whichever occurs first. This coverage will automatically transfer to subsequent owners. If the vehicle already has more than 72,000 miles, this coverage will last until April 30, 2001.

AFFECTED VEHICLES

Certain 1997 through 2000 Explorer and Mountaineer vehicles equipped with 4.0L SOHC engines built at the Louisville Assembly Plant and St. Louis Assembly Plants from Job #1, 1997 through April 7, 2000.

Certain 2001 Explorer Sport and Sport-Trac vehicles equipped with 4.0L SOHC engines built at the Louisville Assembly Plant from Job #1 through April 7, 2000.

SERVICE ACTION

Owners of affected vehicles are being notified that Ford Motor Company is providing additional coverage for the affected engine camshaft chain tensioner and lower intake manifold gaskets.

If either the camshaft chain tensioner or lower intake manifold gasket should require replacement, dealers are instructed to install both of these upgraded parts at the same time, at no charge to the customer.

The no charge coverage for this condition is available for 6 years or 72,000 miles from the vehicle’s warranty start date, whichever occurs first, and will automatically transfer to subsequent owners. If the vehicle already has more than 72,000 miles, this coverage will last until April 30, 2001.

Please read Attachment IV (Question & Answer Sheet) for more details.

REASONS FOR THIS PROGRAM
We have incorporated enhancements into newly produced Explorer 4.0L SOHC engines. The long-term benefits of these improvements are being offered to prior customers.

The need to install a replacement camshaft chain tensioner is typically indicated by an engine rattling noise that occurs just after cold engine start up and goes away within a few minutes after the engine is running. Rough idle and low idle are symptoms which may, in some cases, indicate an intake manifold leak.

The condition of either or both of these components will not cause engine damage or failure, but may decrease the customer's satisfaction with their vehicle.

Old 12-18-2001, 04:35 PM
fordkid68
New User

Old 02-18-2012, 12:53 AM
kimij12
New User
I need help, I have a 2001 ford sports trac, under 100,000 miles, I just found out that my timing chain guide is broken in the rear of the engine, reading these post that are on here I am wondering if my truck ever got the service before I bought it or not, of course being a woman it's harder to confront these people about this. if my trucks chain breaks I don't have the money to fix it I am on disability, and this is the only automobile I have and can't afford to buy another one please I need some advise I bought the truck new, I love the truck but now I am afraid to drive it for fear it will break down. it is making the same noise you are talking about on here, and has for a while but I never knew until just recentally what it was the guy that takes care of it for me can't fix it he doesn't have the area to do so but has replaced many at an old job so he knows it is the rear guide. please gentlemen I need advise on what to do to get this fixed if ford will fix it. I never got any recall on it so not sure if it has been fixed. I read about the other guide material not the plastic but wouldn't it be reasonable to assume it hadn't been changed if it is still plastic? HELP thanks for you input

Old 02-23-2012, 12:49 PM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kimij12
I need help, I have a 2001 ford sports trac, under 100,000 miles, I just found out that my timing chain guide is broken in the rear of the engine, reading these post that are on here I am wondering if my truck ever got the service before I bought it or not, of course being a woman it's harder to confront these people about this. if my trucks chain breaks I don't have the money to fix it I am on disability, and this is the only automobile I have and can't afford to buy another one please I need some advise I bought the truck new, I love the truck but now I am afraid to drive it for fear it will break down. it is making the same noise you are talking about on here, and has for a while but I never knew until just recentally what it was the guy that takes care of it for me can't fix it he doesn't have the area to do so but has replaced many at an old job so he knows it is the rear guide. please gentlemen I need advise on what to do to get this fixed if ford will fix it. I never got any recall on it so not sure if it has been fixed. I read about the other guide material not the plastic but wouldn't it be reasonable to assume it hadn't been changed if it is still plastic? HELP thanks for you input

Sell your truck, buy one that doesn't have the problem,

yeah, you'll probably lose money, but you've got a bad truck that you can't afford to fix anyway.

Take it to Ford for the correct fix. You know where if you bought the truck new and you should have it fixed there.