Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Y-Block V8 (239, 272, 292, 312, 317, 341, 368)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2005, 03:50 PM
Senior User

Midnite Cruiser is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fabulous thread- where is the line of freshening the Y with technology and craftsmanship before it becomes an over-dollard FrankenY?
This is one smart crowd, and rational. Maybe we get this pinned to the top of the forum?
I have done my 312 with the Holley 4160 on iron / Pertronix and rams horns. Maybe a little porting would help when I have time (huh?), but on to other beauty items on the truck.
There's already enough torque to make 1st gear completely academic- the 3.92 rear and idleing torque will go walking speed-smooth enough for you to pick melons in a field and flip em in the back. Gee, it musta been designed for that. Or pull trailers.
Point is, too much built up torque and HP just moves you to transmission, rearend and front suspension changes that make major Y mods start to feel a little looney.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:48 AM
Senior User

yalincoln2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
if i'm not mistaken i believe 292's were bone stock with 245 hp. i don't know why you guys are having such a hard time getting any hp. you all sound like a bunch of whinny, crybaby, sbc owners. anybody with a good running y-block in the mid to late 50's was dusting sbc every weekend. remember back then ford ran 3.90 and 4.10 gears, now you're all running 3.00's for milage and can't figure out why your y-block won't fry the tires every time you take off. you all want your 250hp 292 to run like a 350 hp LT1. you'll find that a good tune up and some good gas will make a big difference, good luck, wayne.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Postmaster

46yblock is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
yalincoln,
The advertised HP for 292s ranged from 170 to 212. The 245 HP you mentioned would have been for one of the 1957 312 motors. I have been told by knowledgable people that the advertised HPs for Y's were as erroneous as the advertised compression ratios. I am not knocking the good ol Y, just getting some figures straight.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:38 PM
Senior User

wild.bunch is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.wild.bunch is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
if i'm not mistaken i believe 292's were bone stock with 245 hp.
True, if you weren't mistaken, 292s would have 245 stock hp. The trouble is here, you are mistaken.

Quote:
i don't know why you guys are having such a hard time getting any hp.
Perhaps that's because we lack the lofty level of your expertise.

Quote:
you all sound like a bunch of whinny, crybaby, sbc owners.
Hmmm. Up until this point, I haven't heard any whining or name calling. I guess in my old age, I should get my hearing checked.

Quote:
anybody with a good running y-block in the mid to late 50's was dusting sbc every weekend.
Well, I'd be interested to gather 'round and listen to detailed stories of your experiences of the good old days.

Quote:
remember back then ford ran 3.90 and 4.10 gears, now you're all running 3.00's for milage and can't figure out why your y-block won't fry the tires every time you take off.
All of us? Gee, I'd better run out to the garage and see who stole my 3.92s.

Quote:
you all want your 250hp 292 to run like a 350 hp LT1. you'll find that a good tune up and some good gas will make a big difference
A tune-up? Is that what I need? Here I thought my muffler bearings were worn out. Maybe we can hear about the science of installing some spark plugs and how tricky of a task that is.

Quote:
good luck, wayne.
Well, I've just found out that I'm a whiner, I'm like an SBC lover, I've got different gears in my rig than I thought I did, and now I have to learn about something called a tune -up. I also need to have my hearing checked to see what I've been missing. I sure do need some good luck!
Old 07-06-2005, 12:12 AM
Senior User

yalincoln2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
sorry i was wrong. i keep forgetting that i'm just an ignoant a-hole. i just can't figure out why all you professional hillbilly mechanics that know everything about everything are paying $1500 to get 200-230 hp out of your hopped up y-blocks. again i'm very sorry because i know i'm wrong, but it won't happen again.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:23 AM
Postmaster

Yalincoln, if that was an apology, next time try not calling the people you are apologizing to names like hillbilly mechanics.
Having said that, I am not terribly offended, but others may be.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:00 AM
Senior User

wild.bunch is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.wild.bunch is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I don't think we need to worry about this fellow. From his posts, he claims to know:

How much we have all paid to rebuild our Y Blocks

How much power we have derived from them

That we are too ignorant to know what a tune-up is

What rear end gears we all have in our Y Block powered rigs

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, nobody can know these things about every Y Block owner on the board. But in addition to this, he:

Accuses people of childish and petty behavior

Resorts to name calling rather than reasoned discussion

Assumes a knowledge of the 50s and early 60s as if he were not only around, but a participant in the street and/or strip scene of those days. Normally, I wouldn't have even responded to this type of a post, but perhaps the day was tedious enough that my patience was worn a bit thin.

As for his last post, the proper reply would be: "If the shoe fits, wear it."

It's not likely to happen, but at least we may hope that he can keep a promise.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:03 AM
Senior User

f700 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixoh
I'd say with winter kicking in, it's a good time to get the engine all dolled up for spring. Try to locate some ECZ-G or 113 heads. These have larger (MUCH larger) ports and the valves are larger. These, with a 4bbl (or an even kooler 2-4 setup) would be a good boost!

Also, I have to believe that as simple as these trucks are, there should be room for a true dual exhaust!
hi all hope this help about the dual exhaust, i put a set of thrunder birds manifolds on back to front both side,s so my exhaust point to the front with two 2 in bends in to two muffer with little turn down , it stop at the back of my cab ( 1963 f700 ) better fuel, better sound rev alot cleaner and faster
Old 07-18-2005, 06:45 AM
Elder User

Janet40 is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yalincoln2
sorry i was wrong. i keep forgetting that i'm just an ignoant a-hole. i just can't figure out why all you professional hillbilly mechanics that know everything about everything are paying $1500 to get 200-230 hp out of your hopped up y-blocks. again i'm very sorry because i know i'm wrong, but it won't happen again.
I'm with you 199 percent Wayne!! I was driving old fairlanes and pickups with 292's back around 1968 when i first started driving out in the country, and unlike the other girls, i had a name!! i joined High School Auto Mechanics shop, while the other girls, triwled their betrawns HAHAHA!!

But, yes, i keep seeing where these people pumpm all this MONEY they talk about in these 292 engines!! Well, i remember, the ones we drove back then were mainly hand me down cars that were about 10 to 15 years old, that the kids were driving, and we were more interested in looking around for cigarette money on a Friday night, and used simple points, and simple carburetors, with no gizmo junk, and most of them smoked (the engines_, and those things were burning rubber back then, and probably had enough power to get a person killed if they were crazy enough hehehehe, so if we could use that stuff back then with the simple factory items and birn rubber and do donuts, and go over 100 MPH, then what's with all this money spending now???

I think it is this, people get bored and just want to blow money, when, if they would just leave thing alone, it would be better off. Those 50's cars worked fine for us back then!! So what's the problem now??? A stock 292, has more HP than any fool needs!! Now if they want to get into racing, and make big bucks and we are talking about the quarter run or the 500 run, THEN!!!! I could understand pumpning real money in an engine, there, the profits would greatly accet the cost if one won, but otherwise, for street, any Yblock with points and regular carb is all one needs for bunches of power!!!

I still like Yblocks, but the reason i have been away from it for like 6 months now is because of something im into right now, the 80 to 89 Lincoln Box cars!! I think these are going to be very popular, morso than the 57 tbird or 57 chevy, that 80 to 89 box car lincoln with 302 design, sounds crazy now!! But wait till 16 years!! Or just wait till 8 more years!! I as of now have three 89 lincoln town cars with the 302, and i almost have the 3rd one completelty finished, my neighbors think im nuts, but hey, its my thing.... Janet
Old 07-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Posting Guru

kens64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
"otherwise, for street, any Yblock with points and regular carb is all one needs for bunches of power!!!"

Im sorry, but if everyone had that attitude, there would be no hot rodding at all. Its the fun of improving things as newer and better parts come along that I like.

Plus, after lowering, shaving, and otherwise modding out the truck, there is no way Im putting a stocker 292 in the engine bay. The Blue Thunder manifold, roller rockers, all the compression I can run on pump gas, and big cam are all waiting to be thrashed on, and headers will be sitting beside all that stuff soon enough. And I ditched the points long ago, the best mod I have done so far for the 292, bar none.

What fun is a stock motor in a customized truck?

Im not trying to argue, Im just saying that stock is not for everyone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...andcar-1-1.jpg

JOIN THE NEW MEXICO CHAPTER HERE
Old 07-18-2005, 09:50 PM
Postmaster

Well stated Ken. For a lot of us, if we are going to the time and expense of rebuilds, it seems only natural to improve as feasible, and personalize the ride at the same time.
I appreciate stock trucks and cars, but for me would find making a stocker boring and restrictive. No question though, it would be less expensive.
I am even slowly trying to figure out how to put in some up to date seat belts.

Last edited by 46yblock; 07-18-2005 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:33 AM
Elder User

Janet40 is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Hey Wayne, i think i know another reason many of these people don't have the HP they think they need, it's my guess that nationwide a good 50% of the time people are getting Gasohole at the pumps, and need to start thinking in the chemisrty areas, instead of the physical attributes of an engine.

You can build a 700 HP monster, but if you use corn stalk alcohol, that has in most instances water evaporation content, then what's it all for??????????? I notice no one ever thinks about this. But i definitely can see where you are coming from.....Janet
Old 07-19-2005, 07:26 PM
Posting Guru

Fifty4F100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Fifty4F100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ok, I've read all 3 pages of this thread. It seems like everyone has the 292. I have a 239 in my 54. I would love to keep it just to the get the "old" guys saying "I haven't seen one of those in years." and the kids "what is that!?" I did pick up a 2 - 4bbl manifold and 2 of what I have been told are teapot 4 bbls. the carbs need rebuilding ( and who knows if they have parts available). Also I don't think my engine could ever handle them. But think of the wow factor (plus I got them for a song). When did Ford stop using the vacuum advance on the distributor and go with a mechanical advance?

I also have seen John Murrmurt's name mentioned. Has anyone bought anything from him? He has some cool parts, but I really like the kit that allows us to use a T5 behind a Y block!
06 Saturn Vue
03 Nissan Altima
54 F100 (sold! at least the MH has a Ford V10)
Old 07-19-2005, 08:04 PM
Postmaster

The vacuum advance Loadomatic distributor was replaced in 1957 with the later model, having centrifugal advance. I ordered an aluminum timing cover and intake from him. He comes highly recommended by many more than me.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:40 PM
Posting Guru

Fifty4F100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Fifty4F100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I know I am running the risk of getting off topic, but I remember reading an article about using a 57 dist. in the earlier Y blocks. I know you have to change the drive gear as the pre-57 runs backward - maybe even have some difference in the number of teeth. I wonder if anybody has done this?
06 Saturn Vue
03 Nissan Altima
54 F100 (sold! at least the MH has a Ford V10)
Old 07-19-2005, 08:40 PM