General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Do you know what the Meaning of your Proper Name's is ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 10:49 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you know what the Meaning of your Proper Name's is ?

I'm sure most of you know that your *Proper Names* are those that are your first,2nd ,even 3rd name.

The meaning of these names is quite interesting.
Take my names for example

The name Dennis: is a derivative of the name Dionysis <> The Greek God of Fertility & Lover of Fine Wines.

The Name Robert: means of Great Fame

Maybe they actually mean: Whine's
or
everyone considers me a well known drunk

EDIT: From the web site link below:

Means "bright fame", derived from the Germanic elements hrod "fame" and beraht "bright". The Normans introduced this name to Britain. It belonged to three kings of Scotland, including Robert the Bruce who restored the independence of Scotland from England in the 14th century. The author Robert Browning and poets Robert Burns and Robert Frost are famous literary bearers of this name. Also, Robert E. Lee was the commander of the Confederate army during the American Civil War.

Anyway, do some research and post what your name means & whether they fit you or not

Remember FTE guideline's

Old 11-27-2004, 10:58 PM
F150Texan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michael = Who is like God

From the Hebrew name Miyka'el which meant "who is like God?". This was the name of one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible. In the Book of Revelation in the New Testament he is portrayed as the leader of heaven's armies, and thus is considered the patron saint of soldiers. This was also the name of nine Byzantine emperors and a czar of Russia. Other more modern bearers of this name include the 19th-century chemist/physicist Michael Faraday and basketball player Michael Jordan

David = Beloved

Possibly derived from Hebrew dod meaning "beloved". David was the second and greatest of the kings of Israel, ruling in the 10th century BC. Several stories about him are told in the Old Testament, including his defeat of Goliath, a giant Philistine. Jesus was supposedly descended from him. Other famous bearers of this name include the 5th-century patron saint of Wales, two kings of Scotland, empiricist philosopher David Hume, and explorer David Livingstone. This is also the name of the hero of Charles Dickens' semiautobiographical novel 'David Copperfield'.

Interesting

Old 11-27-2004, 11:02 PM
fordthug
Elder User
Where would I find out what Joe or Joseph mean is there a web site or do I look in the dictionary??

Old 11-27-2004, 11:04 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 11-27-2004, 11:04 PM
F150Texan
Posting Guru
Yeah...what Dennis said

Last edited by F150Texan; 11-27-2004 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:06 PM
King Triton
Postmaster

Funny,I thought Robert meant>Great Lover of Fine Womens

Old 11-27-2004, 11:08 PM
Quadiquizm
Elder User
Thumbs up

Good post Dennis!

Alexander:
- From the Greek name Alexandros, which meant "defending men" from Greek alexein "to defend, help" and aner "man" (genitive andros). Alexander the Great, King of Macedon, is the most famous bearer of this name. In the 4th century BC he built a huge empire out of Greece, Egypt, Persia, and parts of India. This was also the name of emperors of Russia, kings of Scotland and Yugoslavia, and eight popes. Also, Sir Alexander MacKenzie was an explorer of the north and west of Canada in the 18th century.

Edward:
- Means "rich guard", derived from the Old English elements ead "rich, blessed" and weard "guard". Saint Edward the Confessor was the king of England shortly before the Norman Conquest. Because of his popularity this name remained in use after the conquest (most other Old English names were replaced by Norman ones), and was even the name of eight subsequent kings of England. Edward is also one of the few Old English names to be used throughout Europe.

So basically, I am a protector and guardian of mankind.
Pretty well sums me up - I am always defending and trying to take care of people.

Last edited by Quadiquizm; 11-27-2004 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:09 PM
fordthug
Elder User
Joseph-From the Latin Josephus, which was from the Greek Iosephos, which was from the Hebrew name Yoseph meaning "he will add"

Lee-From a surname derived from Old English leah "meadow"...

Trimmell-couldn't find anything there

I never knew any of that stuff thatks for that web site

Old 11-27-2004, 11:14 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
John-English form of Johannes, which was the Latin form of the Greek name Ioannes, itself derived from the Hebrew name Yochanan meaning "YAHWEH is gracious".

David-Possibly derived from Hebrew dod meaning "beloved". David was the second and greatest of the kings of Israel, ruling in the 10th century BC. Several stories about him are told in the Old Testament, including his defeat of Goliath, a giant Philistine. Jesus was supposedly descended from him.

Heimel-spelled Himmel originally by my German descendants, means heaven.

Old 11-27-2004, 11:21 PM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Philip : From the Greek name Philippos which means "friend of horses", composed of the elements philos "friend" and hippos "horse"...
not a friend of horse at all.(only one hp and mind of it's own)
Guess that why I prefer Phil : short version meaning friend.

Old 11-27-2004, 11:29 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine are both so uninteresting, it's not even worth posting it here! -TD

Old 11-27-2004, 11:33 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Richard - Means "brave power", derived from the Germanic elements ric "power, rule" and hard "brave, hardy". The Normans introduced this name to Britain. It was borne by three kings of England including Richard the Lionheart, leader of the Third Crusade in the 12th century.

Lyon - no match

Old 11-27-2004, 11:33 PM
F150Texan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
John-English form of Johannes, which was the Latin form of the Greek name Ioannes, itself derived from the Hebrew name Yochanan meaning "YAHWEH is gracious".

David-Possibly derived from Hebrew dod meaning "beloved". David was the second and greatest of the kings of Israel, ruling in the 10th century BC. Several stories about him are told in the Old Testament, including his defeat of Goliath, a giant Philistine. Jesus was supposedly descended from him.

Heimel-spelled Himmel originally by my German descendants, means heaven.
Hey my brother is Jonathan David as well

Old 11-27-2004, 11:35 PM
dakota_viking
Elder User
TIMOTHY m English, Biblical
Means "honouring God" from Greek timan "to honour" and theos "god"...

JON m English, Biblical
English form of Johannes, which was the Latin form of the Greek name Ioannes, itself derived from the Hebrew name Yochanan meaning "YAHWEH is gracious"... [more]

Guess my folks were following the Bible. My brother's name is Mark.

Later,
Tim

Old 11-28-2004, 12:06 AM
RoyalFord
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
OK?? This sucks!

BRYAN ---

The meaning of this name is not known for certain but it is possibly related to the Old Celtic element bre meaning "hill", or by extension "high, noble". Brian Boru was an Irish king who thwarted Viking attempts to conquer Ireland in the 11th century. He was victorious in the Battle of Clontarf, but he himself was slain.

Quick Reply: Do you know what the Meaning of your Proper Name's is ?