Changing the Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 07:28 PM
shamrogue
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing the Fuel Filter

Any feedback on how best to approach this. Have read in the past it can be a pain in the rear end (not the truck's) to do this. Do I need any special parts. I have a 99 with 89,000 on it.

Cheers!

Old 11-26-2004, 10:57 PM
hood
Senior User
shamrogue,

I suggest that you use a motorcraft fuel filter above all else.

Get a catch pan, needle nose pliers, rags, flat blade screw driver, and a small ratchet and socket set.

Loosen the filter clamp with the correct socket, pull both white plastic lock tabs out with the pliers, and carefully seperate the fuel line from the filter ends. Pulling on it firmly usually does the trick. You will leak out some fuel, so keep your trouble light away and the catch pan handy.

Reassemble with the fuel filter pointing the correct way. Arrow on filter going towards the engine. Push the fuel lines back onto the filter and replace the white plastic tabs into the slots of the fuel line. Be sure the legs of the tabs are seated all the way through the fuel line. Tighten the clamp around the filter and check for leaks after starting your engine.

Your method may vary, but this works for me on all of my Ford/Mercury products. Good luck!

-hooD

Old 11-26-2004, 11:54 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Hood described the basics well, but there is a twist regarding late '90s+ Ranger fuel filters in that they use different types of line connectors which require a special disconnect tool:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...hreadid=204571

Old 11-27-2004, 01:55 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hood, don't you have to relieve the fuel pressure in the system first? I've heard it is dangerous to disconnect any part of a FI fuel system, even when the vehicle is shut off? (Including having the negative battery cable disconnected) Correct me if I am wrong. ED

Old 11-27-2004, 11:18 PM
vfrocket
Freshman User
Relieving the pressure is a good idea, but not necessary, just be carful, one of the hoses will come off with much force, and spray fuel for an instant. Just keep your face out of the way. I also reccomend that when you get the new Motorcraft filter from your Ford dealer that you ask for some of the plastic clips that hold the hoses on. They will usually provide these for free. I would not recomment re-using the old clips.

Old 11-29-2004, 01:10 AM
hood
Senior User
Ed,
Relieving the fuel pressure would be an excellent idea eventhough i have never done so myself. I know what to expect, so it's no surprize to me to when i open the fuel line. My 89, 91, 96, 98, and 04 Ford trucks and Mercury cars are all changed the same way by me. It's no big deal in my opinion. It's like cutting the grass. And by the way, you're more likely to have a fire when refueling a hot lawnmower than changing your fuel filter! But please always put safety first.

When changing the fuel filter on a car you will need to lift the vehicle slightly to gain access to the filter. Trucks can be changed without lifting in most cases.

When buying a new motorcraft fuel filter at my local parts store i ALWAYS open the box and check for NEW plastic clips. The one time i didn't check for clips i got home to find that i didn't have any in the box.

Good luck changing them fuel filters...once you do it, you'll see how easy it really is.

-hooD

Old 11-29-2004, 09:07 PM
nymorey
New User
I recently changed the filter on my 99 ranger. I pulled the fuel pump relay and cranked the engine to relieve the pressure. The hardest part was getting the fuel line removal tool (bought for under $10) to fit under the lip of the filter. I ended up having to grind it down to make it a thin wall tool. Once I was able to get the tool under the lip to lift the spring, it popped right off. You should have safety glasses on to make sure you don't get splashed in the eyes and keep you lips sealed too (LOL). Even a drop of gas tastes pretty bad!!

Old 11-30-2004, 01:57 AM
vfrocket
Freshman User
What is this special tool? I have a 2000 ranger and I changed it without any special tools. Once I took the clips off I was able to pull the lines off.

Old 11-30-2004, 07:05 AM
low-side
Senior User
Nymorey is talking about a garter spring connecter, like I have on my '92 full size. If requires a little wrench which no one casts truly round.

Old 11-30-2004, 06:44 PM
nymorey
New User
That is correct Low-side. My fuel filter is connected with a garter spring type connecter. To lift the spring over the tubing lip required the tool. It is readily available at any of the auto parts stores. Make sure you get the right size?

Old 12-01-2004, 02:26 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hood, VFRocket, thank you. Makes perfect sense. Thanks, all of you that have posted, show why this website is clearly #1, with real world experience, things you won't read about in any service manuel. Hood, your tip for checking the box for the new plastic clips are right on. It's things like that, one does not read in a manuel...ED