Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

The last of the DIY engines, PRE PSD 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 03:02 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The last of the DIY engines, PRE PSD 7.3

The pre PSD 7.3 diesel is the last non computer controlled ford diesel.
I plan to make my next truck purchase to be a diesel that is without the computer complexity.
If I end up getting an 94 or older 7.3 ford, I intend to get a stick shift model and install a C6 and a Gear Vendor over drive rather than have an E4OD.
I was wondering if anyone knows if Cummins diesel in the dodge is computer controlled or not.

Anyone know if they are computer controlled or not?

That type of Cummins engine was originally (like in the F700) your basic mechanical diesel without the need for computer controls (except for possible transmission control).

Last edited by archangel; 11-24-2004 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:26 PM
rancherman84
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think all 12 valve 5.9s are non computer controlled.the 24 valvers where the first ones to be computer controlled i think.
stay with ford,yeah that cummins is a great engine but the truck it lives in is crap.if you get 7.3 IDI and add a turbo,or get a factory turbo model,you wiil have no problem keeping up with a stock power stroker or hummin cummins.
probably have no problem keeping up with a duracrap

Old 11-28-2004, 11:06 PM
MJD
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You would be better off getting a Dodge with the Cummins. The 7.3 IDI is liked by some, but I personnally HATE the motor. I have seen so many replaced with low mileage. Also, they have problems with glow plugs and cracking heads.

Last edited by MJD; 11-28-2004 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:27 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
Junk???

Originally Posted by MJD
Find an older Dodge. The 7.3 IDI is a real piece of junk and the pickup that it is sitting in is not exactly any better than the Dodge.
UM, well, I worked at Carmenita ford in southern CA for a few years and happen to think the older 6.9 and 7.3 diesel is a rather decent engine and real simple to maintain and repair (except for the fact that if you fail to take care of the coolant properly, you can get pinhole corrosion in 2 of the cylinders, 7 and 8 I think, causing you to need to resleeve the block).

Add a banks turbo and bump up the timing and it pulls rather well.

If your opinion of fords trucks is so low, why are you here?

Old 11-29-2004, 04:47 PM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
Theres a difference between hating something Ford makes and having a low opinion on Ford. I agree with him, the 7.3 IDI isnt the greatest motor made but i have had good experiences with the 6.9 (it just isnt REAL strong). I personally am a big fan of the 7.3 PSD, the 300 I6, the torqueshift, the 429 to name a few but I am strongly against the 302 in a truck, the 6.0 altogether (As of right now), and the 7.3 IDI. Does this mean i have a low opinion of Ford? NO it means i recognize that Ford isnt perfect and has its flaws but I also realize that it is a good automotive company and worthy of my dollar. I wish more people would think this way.

Old 11-29-2004, 05:07 PM
MJD
Elder User
I edited my post a little bit there so it sounded better. I do not have a low opinion of all Ford pickups, but there are quite a few things that Ford has made that I do not like. I will admit that I usually favor GM or Dodge, but there are Ford things that I appreciate too. I just do not like the 7.3 IDI and I don't really care for some things on the 80-96 Ford pickups either. I am soooo glad that i do not have the EFI 302 anymore!!!! It is another Ford thing that I don't care for.

I actually like the 6.9 diesel. For some reason, I just seems to be a better engine. I can think of only a few where I live, 2 of them having 300,000+ miles. The fuel mileage could be better, glow plugs are a problem and it can have cavitation issues like the 7.3 does (not nearly as much of a problem, though)

Old 11-29-2004, 05:29 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
There's a difference between hating something Ford makes and having a low opinion on Ford. I agree with him, the 7.3 IDI isnt the greatest motor made but i have had good experiences with the 6.9 (it just isnt REAL strong).

The IDI 6.9 and IDI 7.3 are the same basic engine with just a 24 cid difference. I don't remember if it's more stroke or bore, but they are the same design. Like the 429/460.

I personally am a big fan of the 7.3 PSD, the 300 I6, the torqueshift, the 429 to name a few but I am strongly against the 302 in a truck,

The 300 6 has a long stroke and rod ratio, the 302 has a short stroke and rod ratio, and we all know a short stroke and rod ratio is better for a high rpm, high HP, low TQ engine intended for a light weight vehicles, and I also think putting it in a truck used for serious work is wrong.
But there are quite a few trucks out there that are not used for heavy work.
Just look at the early model E4OD designed to shift sooo smooth and an unreasonably long delay going from rev to first, as if it were in a car. Put it to serious use and it would have failed.
I've lost count on how many I rebuilt back when they first came out.

the 6.0 altogether (As of right now), and the 7.3 IDI. Does this mean i have a low opinion of Ford? NO it means i recognize that Ford isnt perfect and has its flaws but I also realize that it is a good automotive company and worthy of my dollar. I wish more people would think this way.

We all have our own opinions, but it sure sounded like he said the ford truck was junk, no matter which engine was in it!

Old 11-29-2004, 05:54 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
I don't honestly think that you need to go pre-psd to have a "DIY" vehicle.

As far as I am concerned, the 6.0 is "Do it yourself".

Old 11-29-2004, 09:26 PM
rancherman84
Senior User
ford doesnt make the diesels it uses in its trucks,NAVISTAR does.the 7.3 IDI is a great motor,and the 6.0 will be to.MJD,you usally favor gm or dodge,at least NAVISTAR didnt build the 6.2/6.5 pos motors.i wish that navistar had put one of there inline 6 cylinder diesels from the ag side in the ford trucks.a d360 or dt414 would have been neat to see,especally since you make a dt414 a dta466 with not alot of work.add the intercooler and different pistons & nozzles and still have that diy motor.

Old 11-29-2004, 10:17 PM
MJD
Elder User
Detroit designed the 6.2 and 6.5 for GM, so they were built, not designed by GM. Navistar designed and manufactured the 7.3 IDI. It was Ford's choice to put the 7.3 IDI into their pickup, so navistar was not completely responsible. Anyway, I did not say that I liked the 6.2 and 6.5, although I would probably take a 6.5 over a 7.3 IDI. I think that they are all junk when compared to the 12 valve Cummins.

Old 11-30-2004, 09:17 AM
archangel
Posting Guru
Working for a dealership has taught me that simple is better for the common man (AKA you, me and everyone not employed, or with all the resources of a dealership mechanic).

Complicated is better for the mechanic. (Complicated is relative, as the operation of a can opener is complicated for some)

Extreme complexity is better for the dealership as you have to go to them for diagnosis, parts and repair.

Putting a computer in charge of controlling a diesel engines operation just adds unnecessary complexity that opens the door to minor glitches that could cause serious problems, like the early F.I.P.L (Fuel Injector Pump Lever sensor) used on the E4OD, a $25 part that in failing would trash your $2000 (the price then) transmission, torque converter and all!

Old 11-30-2004, 04:38 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by archangel
Working for a dealership has taught me that simple is better for the common man (AKA you, me and everyone not employed, or with all the resources of a dealership mechanic).

Complicated is better for the mechanic. (Complicated is relative, as the operation of a can opener is complicated for some)

Extreme complexity is better for the dealership as you have to go to them for diagnosis, parts and repair.
Putting a computer in charge of controlling a diesel engines operation just adds unnecessary complexity that opens the door to minor glitches that could cause serious problems, like the early F.I.P.L (Fuel Injector Pump Lever sensor) used on the E4OD, a $25 part that in failing would trash your $2000 (the price then) transmission, torque converter and all!
No, it simply means that if you want to be able to maintain your "DIY" tendencies, you have to be willing to set forth the time and resources to learn the operation of newer technology. IMO, well worth the time spent.

Old 12-02-2004, 08:20 AM
archangel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4
No, it simply means that if you want to be able to maintain your "DIY" tendencies, you have to be willing to set forth the time and resources to learn the operation of newer technology. IMO, well worth the time spent.
And purchase the SBD2 computer console for more than $100,000?
The intent was to have an electrical engineer run the (SNIP), and he was supposed to tell you which parts to swap out, and that's it?!

What happens if the problem only happens some times?
How do you get the recorder that records the signals running and when the problem happens, you push the button to record it, return it to the dealer so they can hook it up to the SBD2 computer, read the signals generated, find the anomaly, trace it to the component, tell the mechanic/parts swapper to swap it!

All the knowledge in the world wont help you if you cant afford the equipment.
I know there are cheaper code generators, but when EEC4 was implemented only 30% of the car was controlled by the computer, mostly only vital engine components related to making the engine run and pass smog, now it's moving to drive by wire where your throttle is attached to a potentiometer and you suggest the throttle be opened and the computer decides and does it for you.
The intent was to have things eventualy move to 100% computer controlled.

The old way an older electronic window opened?
Power from the battery went from the battery, to ignition switch, fuse, window switch, window motor, then to ground!
If it went down, it's because you supplied the power to make it go down, if it stopped, it's because you stopped supplying the power.

The new way an older electronic window opens?
A signal from the window switch tells the computer that you want the window to start rolling down, it decides to roll it down until you release the switch, then it decides to stop rolling it down.

All you do is make suggestions, and the computer decides what to do!

Last edited by IB Tim; 12-12-2004 at 07:45 AM. Reason: language
Old 12-06-2004, 10:23 PM
John with beastly 302
Senior User
ArchAngel I've got a hard time reasoning with you saying computers are bad in engines. You sound like an old man in the 20 century who is completly against computers. Kindof like when they first started to put electronics in Gas engines.

Computers are put in engines to improve power and conserve fuel and oh ya and also reduce emissions. I don't know why you think a computer controlled diesel isn't a diy is just a piece of machinery. I don't know if you think that a computer will break in the next 20 years or what but by that time I hope you will of boughten a new or newer truck. Computers have come a long way since the early 90's so I don't know what to tell ya.

I don't know why I'm eveing waisting my time

Old 12-07-2004, 01:24 PM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
Ok I cant really share the emissions concern with anybody because where I live emissions are nothing more than an old wise tale going on in the far side of the world. As far as computers go... I am not a fan of everything being computerized. When a little thing goes out in a comp it is expensive to fix and it limits how fast a vehicle can go (ie. rev limiters/governors) I think my old style dodge 2500 with the 12V CTD was the most reliable ride I have ever owned and it got 18-19 hiway pretty easy and made more than enough power for anything i have ever wanted to do. I think computers will be more and more dominant as life goes on but i would take my old dodge over a new one any day as far as simplicity goes.

Quick Reply: The last of the DIY engines, PRE PSD 7.3