1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Stock Restoration Sub-forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 09:44 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face Stock Restoration Sub-forum

Hi all,
I was wondering if FTE ever considered a sub-forum for straight stock restoration. I've noticed that questions regarding what is stock and what is not get mixed in with questions regarding custom configurations. I have nothing at all against custom, and I enjoy reading the discussions on custom configs. I just thought that adding a new sub-forum might make for more efficient browsing. Such a sub-forum could be open to stock restoration for all years. That's all.

Old 11-22-2004, 11:34 AM
Lyndsczewski
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I'd follow such a forum. My truck is all-stock and going to stay that way (but become much, much better, of course). I have nothing against customs either, but stock is a big enough challenge for my abilities.

Rob,
'59 SB SS

Old 11-22-2004, 11:55 AM
wdsmithjr
Senior User
stock

I too would like to see a stock. My '53 is stock right down to still being (and going to stay) 6v. My next one I'll add lots of mods that are discussed here. Course that'll probably be 10 years from now.

Old 11-22-2004, 07:42 PM
56 Effie Aurea
Senior User
In my short time here I've noticed stock questions answered well when they need to be. Plus a lot of us guys with mods still have very many areas of our trucks stock...a stock purest might come up with the perfect answer that a modifier could use that he may not otherwise see if it were in a different forum. JMHO
Norb

Old 11-22-2004, 08:29 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
56 Effie... What you say is true enough, but I already access the Paint and Bodywork Forum and the Inline Six Forum to try to get the best understanding I can regarding my own truck issues. A Stock Forum wouldn't really make anyone work harder for the information. I have posted several questions regarding stock configurations on this forum and it is not unusual that no one ever replies. I really do not think that there are many on this forum who want to discuss the virtues of six-volt wiring or what the stock seat fabrics were for a 53 effie.

Old 11-22-2004, 08:43 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
JVMCC

You might be surprised to learn that about half of the members of this forum are stockers, or something close to that. We have done some drivetrain and truck goal threads in the past that indicate it is absolutely true. I'm not sure why the stock threads are less active. Or if they really are in fact. While it's true a 6V generator question doesn't usually generate a thirty post thread, your input is appreciated here. And there are zillions of long and windy stocker threads. I can't count the times Earl, Bigwin, Barry and a ton of other stockers have taught me valuable stuff. I read tons of your threads. But I know I have motor mouth and don't want to screw up your threads so I shut up unless I am sure I can help. As one of the rodders. I'd hate to see you guys go.

OK rodders, sound off before the stockers get serious about trying to leave our 48-60 family.

Old 11-22-2004, 09:12 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Fortunately we still hear from Bigwin and Barry.... George, in my feeble mind, King of the Stockers is pretty much gone. And I miss him.

Some of us who have hotrod trucks still run a straight axle. There are so many differently configured trucks that much valuable stuff might be missed should you guys go. I venture off to the Yblock forum from time to time and get what I need. Usually from one or two people who are eminantely qualified and have long experience. This is good, but it is limited in some respects.

Here on the 48-60 you will get insights from a much larger crowd and some of the most highly skilled mechanics and brightest engineers anywhere. I sometimes get the feeling that my questions go unanswered because people just don't know the answer... or are too unsure to discuss the matter intelligently. This gives me the feeling that I am getting thoughtful responses and not just some jive. Don't go. We need you. best. himmelberg

Old 11-22-2004, 10:56 PM
F250Rob
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I enjoy the wider audience this forum attracts, probably because my truck is planned to be a thoughtful mixture of stock and mods, leaning towards the stock side. I've found great info on stock questions from the dedicated rodders as well as the stock guys. So I vote to keep the place as is. Sure miss George, though....

ROB

Old 11-23-2004, 06:11 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have two trucks. My 48 F-1 is a rod and my 49 F-1 is totally stock, so I'd like to keep the rodders and stockers in once place...

Vern

Old 11-23-2004, 06:27 AM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a purist at heart, but I enjoy the forum just as it is.

Barry

50 F-1

Old 11-23-2004, 07:25 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
There's no friction here between the light and dark side and we have too many things in common, including repect for each others right to build it any way he/she desires. I would hate to see it split.

Old 11-23-2004, 07:57 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
I certainly did not want the suggestion that there be a sub-forum on straight stock to be misread as that I didn't enjoy and appreciate the forum as it is. I just thought that it might be a convenience for both stock and mod folks. It seems that there are strong feelings to maintain the 1948-1960 as it is, and that's fine with me. The FTE site has been an incredibly valuable resource for me during my own restoration odyssey.

Old 11-23-2004, 09:00 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
I must say that I truly enjoy this and the yblock forums! I always try to do my best at answering questions or providing guidance.

I'm very happy with the way its set up because if there was a "STOCKER" forum I would still go to the "DARKSIDE" to read about what all the "COOTIEBOBBERS" are up to, so with us mixed together I get both at once.

JVMCC,
I see alot of stock posts that sometimes I have the info need just not the ability to post or foward the info to the person. Just keep asking and usually the one or two responses "hits the nail on the head"

Also I would like to say a thankyou for the kind words,
Kevin Bigwin

Old 11-23-2004, 09:12 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally feel that the stock forum idea is too sub-specialty. I'm a rodder. My truck still has a heck of a lot of stock stuff on it and always will. I need that info just as much as great ideas about rodding it up. The mix of both has been very helpful and at times illuminating. If I had to go to a different forum for a stock question, it just seems too snooty to me.

Old 11-23-2004, 12:28 PM
wdsmithjr
Senior User
In hindsight I probably spoke to quickly (happens more the older get, lol), guess I did'nt realize how much the two go hand in hand since my mind is so set on keeping this one as close to original as I can. My time surfing is very limited and I get caught up in reading all the posts and don't get to "dwell" on the topic I stopped by for. Like jvmcc said, its a convenience thing. I manage my time just like I'm right on "schedule" with finishing my truck in 1999, 2000, 2003 (50th annv.) 2004, 2008. lol. Even if FTE had a stock site I'd still look at this one due to being blown away by lots of the mods folks are doing. I would'nt think up half them in 100 years let alone be able to do them. Though eventually I going try some. Sorry for all the babbling....

Quick Reply: Stock Restoration Sub-forum