New Truck, new guy

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 07:59 AM
tommy boy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Truck, new guy

Hey Guys,

I just found this fourm, and it looks pretty cool . I recently picked pu a 70 f250 hi-boy from Portland. It is black and has some interisting mods to it already. It was sold to me as a hi-boy, although I don't really know what that means, can someone tell me? It has a hand made SS rear bumper that is pretty cool, and I definatly wouldn't want to run into the back of it. The engine is a 390 that is supposidly fresh, and it runs really well. It has headers and flowmasters so it sounds like the cats **** (good). The truck has a 4spd but I don't know which one, the first gear is really tall tho. The truck has no rott generally, but does have some bubbles along the ridge in the bed on the driver side. That is the only rust on the whole thing which I was impressed with since it's from the PNW. A couple problems that I have noticed on it are the pinion angle on the front driveshaft to axle. The driveshaft u-joint angle at the axle is at like 25 degrees. I am wondering if maybe the front axle needs to come out and have the perches cut off and re welded on? The other thing that I noticed is that the steering gear box seems like it is in a funny location. It is mounted up pretty high in the fender about 8" down from the top of the RAD or so. It looks like they cut a little sheet metal to get it there. Is there any reason that you guys can think of that it would be there? Anyway I bought this truck and a week later I got deployed overseas so here I am surfin the web wishing I was back home playing with the truck, but hey I am protectin and servin!

Lata,

T

Old 11-20-2004, 08:15 AM
jor
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fire up the digital camera, Tommy. We need some photos!
jor

Old 11-20-2004, 09:18 AM
tommy boy
New User
Hey Jor, I have 2 pictures of the truck, but unfortunately I can't take any more for 2.5 months after I get back. I will post them later.

T

Old 11-20-2004, 09:50 PM
arcticoffroadingfish
Senior User
if i remember right the high boy refers to the frame instead of it being flat the started to have a bend at the rear around the rear axle. as for the box if it it four wheel drive and power steering then they converted steering to power instead of manual cuz all the 4wd had man. and 2wd had power that could be why it is so high.

Old 11-20-2004, 10:41 PM
tommy boy
New User
Thanks for the info, that makes sense if the power steering is a mod. Arcticoffroad, do you have any pics of a high boy? Here are the 2 pics that I have of my truck

Old 11-21-2004, 12:13 AM
arcticoffroadingfish
Senior User
sorry at this time i dont but i can try to get some this week but no Guarantees
if i do i will post them i would also like to say that is a very nice truck a lot bettter condition then mine but its a work in progress for me its gonna be an off roader already i got the 360 to put out 450 horse and 525 torque it will be a beast in a few months when i finish all the body work and replace the lower half of the cab. last owner loved saltwater, but the truck hated it.

Last edited by arcticoffroadingfish; 11-21-2004 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:48 AM
4Cammer72
Elder User
great lookin truck

Old 11-21-2004, 02:11 PM
7DF250
Elder User
Tommy boy,
Nice truck man! You Probably have the NP435 trans,super strong, the pinion is pointed to the ground (assuming you have the stock Dana 44 with drums) to ensure the pinion bearing gets sufficient oil, your truck appears to be stock height so not to worry thats how it is supposed to be, best way to correct this if you lift it is to cut and turn the knuckles but I would rather find a 77.5-79 HI Pinion Dana 44 or 60 with discs and Higher pinion you kill 2 birds with one stone, The steering box? No clue without pics. Is it power steering? if so could be a home made swap and should be looked at carefully before driving it on the road. Good luck,get home safe we will all be here to help when you do.

Old 11-22-2004, 03:21 AM
tommy boy
New User
Thanks guys for the kind words. I traded in a 2001 f350 power stroke to get this old girl, and while I will miss some of the luxuries of that beast, this truck really suits me a lot better. And I don't have a $550 truck payment anymore, so that realy freed up a lot of play money. I am probably going to add some of those luxuries to this truck, but it will be tastefully modded.

7df250, thanks for the info. I have the truck at my friends shop right now, and he is doing a little inspecting and fixing anything that was jimmy rigged. he said one of the first thing that he noticed was the steering box was installed with low grade 5 bolts and he said that they were stretching a little. I will probably lift it up a little more and put some 37's on it, but I don't want it sky hi or anyting crazy. So when I do that I will make sure to find a different front end with the high pinion and disk breaks. I can't wait to get back and go do some wheelin. When I had my 40,000 truck it didn't really want to take it out and wheel it, but with this it wont be such a problem

Oh guys, I have another question. Where is a good place to find the body trim? The truck is missing all the trim on the drivers door, and a couple other lower pieces on the drivers side?

Thanks

T