Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2004, 07:49 PM
New User

bk_89ix is starting off with a positive reputation.
SOHC V6 firing order & coil connection?

Can someone please confirm for me the proper connection order of the
spark plug wires to the coil pack on a '97 SOHC V6? I'm having running
trouble after changing out the upper/lower intake gaskets. Forgot to
mention in an earlier post that at the same time I also changed four of
the six spark plugs and wires.....one at a time I thought, but I'd love
for the explanation to be a simple misrouted wire!!

Bob
Old 11-21-2004, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Racerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to behold
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:04 AM
New User

you 'da man!

Exactly (!) what I was looking for to confirm routing.

But dang, that's the way I've got them hooked up....my idle issue must be somewhere else...I'm thinking I probably should not have installed the intake gaskets dry...now the fun begins...
Old 11-22-2004, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Racerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to behold
The intake gaskets are supposed to be installed dry on these.
It's sometimes a bit of a pain to keep the o-rings in place though when installing the intake. You have to be very careful.
On the lower intake there is a R and L on it. It looks like it would work either way but I've never tried installing one backwards. It might be something to check.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:03 AM
New User

Let's make sure we're talking about the same motor: '97 SOHC 4L V6. The lower intake gaskets (light-blue O-rings) came sealed in bag of six from the dealer. I looked them over carefully and they looked symmetrical. The upper intake gaskets (black ovals) came sealed in a bag of two...didn't see any R/L designation, but again they LOOKED identical. Or are you referring to the black plastic intake itself? Now that's an interesting point....is the R/L marking somewhere where I could see it after installation? Any other way to confirm proper intake orienation??

Bob
Old 11-22-2004, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Yes it's the lower intake that has an R and L on the side of it. I don't know if you can see that when it's on the engine. Like I said I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:50 PM
New User

Good news! After going through things one more time, including checking continuity of the new ignition wires and using the "correct" PCV valve and a new intake bellows for good measure, she's running properly. Hard to say what the real issue was, but it seems to have been resolved and therefore the intake is apparently bolted up properly. I looked real hard for R/L markings on the installed part, but I was unable to find them. Thanks for your help!

Bob
Old 11-24-2004, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Good to hear that you got it fixed
Old 11-24-2004, 12:04 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator

Tags
150, 1999, 2001, 42, 97, coil, escape, explorer, fireing, firing, ford, order, pack, soch, sohc, v6