Oil pan gasket install

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 03:25 PM
anubisranger01
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil pan gasket install

Id it possible to just unbolt the oil pan and drop it down enough to get the bottom half of the pan gasket intalled. It is on a 2001 ranger edge edition.

Also there is a unit that is attached to the transmission that is blocking two of the bolts on the oil pan. Is there a problem if it is removed and replaced? What is that unit exactly for future reference.

BTW the front gasket has blown itself out of its seat and is now sticking out. I know that just removeing bolts and putting it back in there is probably not the best solution seeing as it was able to comeout to begin with. I am curious as to why that has blown out. I did have the transmission serviced about 4 months ago and wandering if it was something they did or jsut an overall defect in the part.

Thanks for any help

Last edited by anubisranger01; 11-21-2004 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:56 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

You can't just drop the pan, you have to raise (and support) the engine to get access to the gasket. I think you have to also unbolt the oil pump after unbolting the pan, and then drop the pump and pan as an assembly.

Make sure you use the most recent gasket kit from Ford that comes with new pan bolts:

http://rockledge.home.comcast.net/Ra...lPanGasket.pdf

Old 11-21-2004, 06:08 PM
anubisranger01
New User
Thank you for the welcome . Also thanks for the heads up on the oil pan. That diagram answers all questions.

As for the intro I bought my ranger new in 01 and had it ever since. Added aftermarket wheels and BFG mud terrain tires, 31/10.5/15. I have loved owning this truck, but due to the family getting bigger I must move to an SUV for now and probably look for a beater of a ford farm truck to use for hauling and hunting. I hate to see her go as we have been through a lot together.

I just happened to go under the truck to change the oil and noticed the leak . THe truck was going out the door this week but may have to hold off now. Luckiy for the truck it is staying in the family as my brother is buying it.

I wish that I would have found this site 3 years ago cause I would have been on all the time. Thanks for the help and if it stays around I will certainly be back.

Old 11-24-2004, 03:15 PM
anubisranger01
New User
just as a heads up on this topic. I have found that with the ranger edge edition that there is no need to lift the engine inorder to remove the oil pan. All that is required is to lossen the bolts on the transmision to about 1/8" out and lossen the rear mounts. Lightly tap with a hammet on the bell housing and the oil pan will come out very easily.

Thanks for the help fellas.

Old 11-24-2004, 03:39 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by anubisranger01
just as a heads up on this topic. I have found that with the ranger edge edition that there is no need to lift the engine inorder to remove the oil pan. All that is required is to lossen the bolts on the transmision to about 1/8" out and lossen the rear mounts. Lightly tap with a hammet on the bell housing and the oil pan will come out very easily.

Thanks for the help fellas.
Thats good news! I'm wondering, did you drop the pan completely, or just work out enough room to accomplish the gasket repair? I'm asking this because the Ford Manual says for the 3.0L you have to either lift the engine (4x2) or pull the engine entirely (4x4) to remove the pan.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 11-25-2004, 04:07 AM
anubisranger01
New User
I did drop the pan completely. I could not remove the old gasket until I did. THe engine did definitly not need to be moved. On the same note I did try to lift the engine but had no luck. That was after removing all the bolts as well. Transmision was the alternate plan and that was really all that was needed to get the pan. down. IT was rubbing between the pickup and the transmision. Thanks fellas