1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1948 4wd: rare? valuable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 11:03 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
52Henry, not certain the year, but was a slant cab. Still has faded logos on doors. The drums were huge, as were lug nuts. There were a number of old trucks for sale that day,that yard.
In brighton, did not get close or long enough look to know, but there were different years, 48/50,, 51/52, 53/55 and at least 1 56. I pulled over on road to look at the cabs and grills to see what was/is in there. The guy has an old gas station replica set up in front of the property leading to the garage and yard. That is what caught my eye before I spotted the trucks. When I saw the road sign with the name on it I figured I not need go further in to spend the big bucks.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:19 PM
da man
New User
1948 Coleman F5

Ran across this thread while looking for info on my own 48 or 49 F5 truck. My model is also 4wheel drive, and i have looked all over for information on it. This thread is the first time I have come across someone mentioning the Coleman 4wheel drive system. This is what my vehicle has. My truck hasnt been run in years. My father and grandfather used to use it to feed cows out of it in the winter. They said it would push through drifts that were up to the hood!
I haven't worked on it much, but i was told they parked it when the brake master cylinder went out.
Does anyone have any information about the Coleman system? Any suggestions for what i should use it for when its back up and running?

Old 03-26-2012, 09:03 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
well welcome "da man" some one will be talking to you soon ..you have a F-5 ??!! awwsome !! I have a F-350 and whine about hunting for parts ..so you have a project in front of you ..use it for ?? drive it !! you will get all kinds of people smiling at you ,,giving you the thumbs up ..and it's just fun ...get her running and stopping .. then worry about the other stuff ..you will find the parts .. I have gotten all kinds of help here ..again welcome to the zoo !!

Old 03-26-2012, 09:21 PM
da man
New User
Thanks kenjh ! I'm sure it won't be easy to get this behemoth back in running shape! I'm thinking of taking the dump bed off of it and turning it into a off road recovery vehicle. (People are always getting stuck and stranded up the canyon near our farm)

Old 03-27-2012, 12:30 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You should talk to Chuck of Chuck's Trucks. He has an F8 (I think) Coleman.

Chucks Trucks LLC., Chuck's Trucks, Chucks Trucks

Old 03-27-2012, 07:21 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
I'll add my welcome, and second what Ilya (51panelman) said. Chuck's Coleman is an F-7 that he's gone through completely. Here's a thread about it. Stu

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...7-coleman.html

Old 03-27-2012, 09:53 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
just a warning .. Stu is a real safety nut ..where are you that people get stuck in your back yard ??

Old 03-27-2012, 02:18 PM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
sounds like Don Chew in Brighton. who else in CO would have a street named after there hobby. And Stu, got a safety question for ya. I'm soaking those road flare caps right now with the 50/50 acetone trans fluid. How long should i wait till i hit it with the propane torch. JK. Ken, you gotta give up on those WM wheels buddy. Those things were junk when they were new, now yours are what, 60 years old!

Old 03-27-2012, 03:22 PM
da man
New User
re

Thanks for the info. Love that F7 firetruck! These things are beasts.
I live near the mtns of idaho on a ranch. This truck of mine was very helpful to my father & grandfather who said it was the only vehicle they could take in the winter to feed cows in the deep snow. They also used it to haul water to cattle on steep logging roads in the summer. Its 4x4 capabillities were legendary according to them. . . haha. Geared incredibly low, they said with chains and hay in the back it would plow through anything!
Supposedly everthing was functioning on it when they parked it except the brakes & dump bed. I know of two other similiar year F trucks (non 4x4) that I may be able to buy for parts if needed. I really want to get this old guy going again.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:53 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is my way of tagging along in a tread that interests me when I haven't anything else to add.
Hope it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

Old 03-27-2012, 03:55 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
da man - Chuck is "da man" for guidance on getting your Coleman back in service. He's been a great help to me as I bring my M-H back to life.

Ken - I'm not the one that's at odds with the world here. You've resisted taking your 17s out of service despite the advice of many. I hope you finally did buy those 17.5s from Sisson.

Mark - I think you want to stand real close to that thing when you put the torch to it. It'll save you getting a hair cut for a while, and will cure bushy eye brows and nose hairs too. Just make sure Ryan's not in the shed when you do it.

You know I'm joking! Stu

Old 03-27-2012, 04:55 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Welcome to FTE "Da Man" from your neighbor to the south, Salt Lake.

I've got a 53 C600 Marmon Herrington but know nothing of the Colemans.

When I replaced the master cylinder in my 52 F6 stakebed I purchased it from Page Brake Wharehouse (They are also in Idaho Pocatello I think?) , they probably have other brake parts and services you could use?

Sounds like a neat truck with even neater history behind it. Cant wait to see pictures of it.

Later

Josh

Originally Posted by da man
Ran across this thread while looking for info on my own 48 or 49 F5 truck. My model is also 4wheel drive, and i have looked all over for information on it. This thread is the first time I have come across someone mentioning the Coleman 4wheel drive system. This is what my vehicle has. My truck hasnt been run in years. My father and grandfather used to use it to feed cows out of it in the winter. They said it would push through drifts that were up to the hood!
I haven't worked on it much, but i was told they parked it when the brake master cylinder went out.
Does anyone have any information about the Coleman system? Any suggestions for what i should use it for when its back up and running?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:34 PM
da man
New User
Thanks for the help! I'll get ahold of chuck right away. I will also try and take some pictures of the old beast this weekend. Might take a while to get this project up and going, $ is always a little tight for me in the spring.
I have looked many times before on the net and have never found anything about the Coleman system. I am really happy to have stumbled across this wealth of information!

Old 03-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome to the forum! And alot of us are no stranger to the "lack of money" thing! Heck just write a check!
Seriously we are a bunch of enablers! I read about the history of the truck and you just can't let that die! Really cool story! Even if it takes years...The cyber friendship is great here when you don't have the cash! I wish Most of these folks were my nieghbors! There was a thread a couple years ago about forming a town of us. At first being new to here, I kinda just thought...ok "that's wierd"
But I would think it would be pretty cool now!

edit: But everybody would need 2 names on their mailboxes...FTE username and real name! Uh...in my case that would be the same I guess...