Ohio Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: RUNVS

My Ideal Truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 07:27 PM
NeoCowboy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My Ideal Truck

Hi guys, I've talked to a few of you about that I need a new truck, so rather than explain what I'm looking for a million times this might be easier, and if you run across one send me a PM or email where I can check it out.

What I would really like from a truck is a full size 4x4 with manual trany and transfer case. And it has to be able to get down the road alright since I like to drive across the state about every month to month and a half to see my family. I'm looking for something older, 96 at the newest, I like the bodies better and the 300 fits in there. I'd like to get one with a 300-I6 for the low end torque and reliability of that engine, but at this point I just want a 351 or smaller since I can't seem to find a 300. I'm not sure if I want EFI or carb but I guess I will just take what I can get. The EFI will be better for off-road beucase of tilt angles and gas sloshing around. Carbs are easier to work on, which is the reason for the manual trany & transfer. As for the rest of the truck I'm not too picky, I'd rather get a cheaper truck and put the work into it to make it my own but I wouldn't mind buying a truck that already has a good setup.

So thats what I'm looking for, if anyone sees something for sale that fits the bill send me a PM. I want to stay in the rules of the forum so please don't just post your adds here.

Thanks,
Ethan

Old 11-08-2004, 12:19 PM
rywegh
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Ethan! I will keep my eyes open down here in Ky.

Old 11-08-2004, 07:43 PM
phatcracker
Senior User
I'll keep my out too.
West side of cincy mey have a bunch of those sitting around. 302 ci is probably what I'll see the most. Your description of the ideal truck is to the point and makes it very easy.

BUT do you want long or short bed? Regular or ext cab? Or does it really matter to you?

Eric Adams

Old 11-08-2004, 07:59 PM
NeoCowboy
Senior User
I guess I should have said that. I would like either a long bed or an extended cab. I don't want anything too long becuase I would like to turn it into a mud & trail truck once I am out of school and actually making some money. Long bed I can haul more stuff and have room for a tool box but usally what I will have for a while is books and my rodeo gear so having the extended cab would be nice. Since every once in a while I can actually get a girl that can stand me and I'd like to keep that stuff safe and dry. I can solve storage problems easier than mechanical since I don't have time/money/location to be swapping engines and tranys.

Thanks guys,
I appreciate the help.

Old 11-09-2004, 08:08 PM
phatcracker
Senior User
My eyes are open.

As a matter of fact, I did see a 79 reg cab, step side 2wd for $800 at the Dearborn county hospital this morning. I forgot to get the number. The cab corners were rusty as all get out and figured I will see something better, later. Plus this truck needed work, mostly because of the rust.

Eric Adams

Old 11-12-2004, 10:55 AM
rywegh
Cargo Master
Ethan you have an email.

Old 11-12-2004, 06:01 PM
NeoCowboy
Senior User
Well, my car died wendsday so this is a bit more important to me. I'm going to be doing a lot of looking this weekend since my friend said he could drive me around a bit. I found a few on ebay but most of them are just too far away for me to get. I found exactly what I want in CT, TX, and washington for good prices but nothing even in a few hundred miles of here.

Old 11-12-2004, 08:51 PM
rywegh
Cargo Master
Hey Ethan you forgot NJ. Everytime I find something I want it's in New Jersey. Sorry to hear about your ride.

Old 11-19-2004, 06:11 PM
NeoCowboy
Senior User
Well I think I found the truck that I was looking for. It is a regular cab and short bed but the rest seems perfect. I am going to try to finalize things this weekend, if all goes well I should have pics up by monday night.

Old 11-19-2004, 10:28 PM
rywegh
Cargo Master
Congrats Ethan! Can't wait to see the pictures. Hope the deal goes good for you.

Old 11-21-2004, 11:27 PM
NeoCowboy
Senior User
Hi all, I just got back. I have one pic up in my gallary now, it is the one from the add though so it is kinda fuzzy. I will take some more this week. I got the truck for 2700 which was 200 knocked off the price becuase I said I would do the front U-joints and drive side ball joints myself. I have a friend that runs a shop and he gets a discount on parts, plus I know the parts will be good and not just cheep ones.

Also not really related but I'm going to see about getting a friend of mine on here. I found out that he got tired of his z-71 becuase of stupid problems so he just picked up a brand spaking new F-350 4wd 6.0 PSD. the only thing I think he did wrong was got a auto. Althought the reasoning was for the tow comand option so I gues it wasn't too bad an Idea since it will be used for towing and this way his little woman (5'4") can drive too.

Old 11-22-2004, 12:45 AM
rywegh
Cargo Master
not to bad. get her cleaned and show that true outer beauty.

Old 11-22-2004, 07:12 PM
NeoCowboy
Senior User
I bought it to get it dirty, not to keep it clean. If I was going to keep it clean I would have bought a car. If all goes well I should have her tip top by saterday and covered in mud by saturday night.