1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Is it a 1951 carnival truck or . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 07:04 AM
AmeriKen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it a 1951 carnival truck or . . . .

just wild colors?

I'm putting the finishing touches on my project truck. It is now drivable. The 1951 cab and bed are sitting on a 1984 E-350 former ambulance chassis that has been shortened by 3 feet. This combination is a lot lighter than the former ambulance so it sits higher than original. I had to take the truck to a big truck alignment shop and have the caster and camber adjusted by bending the twin I-beams. I had a tremendous amount of positive camber (front wheels tipped greatly out at the top).

Because the wheelbase has been shortened by 3 feet, the turning angle of the front wheels is wrong (Ackerman Angle). It drive great going straight and handles very well at highway speeds but when turning a corner, I can feel the inner turning wheel scrubbing.

The 460/C6 is awesome. I think it will be a great cruiser and will easily pull my 24' gooseneck trailer with my restored 1960 CASE loader/crawler to a few tractor shows.

The rearend is a Dana 70 dually rear end. It is only running single wheels on the rear now, but if I do some serious hauling, I'll put the dually tires/wheels back on.

Ken McWilliams
Dayton, OH

Old 11-17-2004, 11:17 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, what a color scheme. So what year vehicle is it on the registration? Can you modify the suspension to lower it a bit, or do you even want to? I remember when you first showed us this truck. It seems like it came together very quickly. Good work, John

Old 11-17-2004, 11:59 AM
AmeriKen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's how I planned it.

John,

I wanted it on a 1 ton chassis for the ability to pull a 12-15K pound loaded trailer. It isn't intended to be a low-rider street machine.

The cab and front are from an F8 (2 ton, 24,000 GVW) fire truck. My first plan was to make it a rollback for hauling my equipment, but decided to downsize to a 1 ton pickup (F-350 size) to have a cool hauler.

Old 11-17-2004, 03:22 PM
scrape
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey ken, what wheel base did u end up with?
cya..gary