Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-17-2004, 07:40 PM
Senior User

me1mckee is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tim, I posted this in the Super Duty/ Heavy Duty forum also, not on another website. I have no reason to roam from all of this knowledge.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:47 PM
Internet Brands

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by me1mckee
Tim, I posted this in the Super Duty/ Heavy Duty forum also, not on another website. I have no reason to roam from all of this knowledge.
No worry, keep on
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When you are down...look up...get up...and don't ever give up....
Old 11-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Senior User

OK guys, I spoke to the Ford body builders hotline Friday and they gave me the answer to my question. However, it was not the answer that I wanted. He said that the programming for the trans to operate in Tow/Haul as default is not an option. It is not rewritable by the dealers. It could be a separate program from Ford to be loaded in certain trucks as requested, but not enough demand means that Ford will not spend the money to write a complete program to change just that and then they would have to make separate programs for those trucks every time there was an updated flash. Anyhow, the way to make it work for any of you who are interested is this:
Install a "time delay relay" (available from Mouser Electronics for about 80 buck plus wire plugs etc.) to provide the 12V+ signal to the PCM control wire for Tow/Hual mode. The wires are found at the base of the steering column and can also be accessed directly at the PCM or the firewall. The steering column base is easiest for me so that's where I'm going to tie in. The 12V+ lead to the switch is white with a light green stripe. If you want to still have the option to turn off Tow/Haul, tee into this wire, if not, just cut it and attach the hot side to your time delay relay. The signal wire is tan with a white stripe. Again if you want your switch to still work, tee in, if you want to disable the switch, cut it and attach the PCM side to your relay. The time delay relay will switch to momentarily close the circuit between these two wires at a delay set by the user on the relay. It will receive its power from the 12V+ wire when the ignition is turned on. If you set the delay to shorter than your glow plugs take to cycle then the Tow/Haul will be turned on then when you start the ignition will cycle power again to the relay and it will simply be turned on again when the truck starts. If you set the delay too long, some people will be driving off when it switches to Tow/Haul mode. Do not connect the reset circuit on the relay or it will cycle the Tow/Haul on and off as you drive. You want it to only close once momentarily and then not do anything until the power is removed from the relay input and then turned back on again. I hope this is everything and that you all can find this useful. All of this is straight from Ford Body Builder Hotline and I HAVE NOT tested it yet. I am posting this now before I test it b/c I am going on vacation until Dec. 1st and will not be at work when this is installed, I have left the info. with the best electrical guy I work with and I know that he will install it correctly. I hope this will work, but if anyone tries it and it doesn't work let me know and I'll give you the number to Ford's hotline.
Tim, is this something we could add to the tech folder? I hope it works and if so I think it could be useful to many people.
Sorry this is so long, but it's a lot of info. and I wanted to put it all together. Thanks for the great input everyone, Mat.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:30 PM
Internet Brands

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
It must have been a very long day today, because I am having a difficult time understanding why you want to do this.... sorry for being a bit slow...
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Old 11-20-2004, 08:56 PM
Senior User

Well, the company I work for installs aerial lifts onto F-450's and F-550's that weigh 9000 to 12000 lbs including the utility tool bodies. These are normally used by utility companies and most consist of 2 booms that may or may not extend and provide access to about 37 feet max. They don't come off. These trucks spend every minute of every mile and every day at or near their GVWR weight. Sooooo, they need to run in Tow/Haul mode all the time, some of them are literally 19,000 lbs with tools and drivers and then some people even pull trailers behind them for extra transformers, etc. The companies that buy these units from us have voiced their concern about possible trans. problems and replacing brakes every 20,000 miles when Ford has made a transmission that can help to prevent this. The problem is that the operators can be trained to work on communications and high voltage power lines, but not to push a button EVERY time they start their truck. This means that there are many trucks that really should run in Tow/Haul mode all of the time automatically without driver input. Also, our own field service trucks are on F-550's and have tool bodies with cranes and welders and air compressors on them and they weigh about 17,500 lbs. each with the driver and all of their tools on board all the time. We can't get them to turn on the Tow/Haul either and some of them have said that it causes problems. They are confusing it with the old trans. and turning off overdrive, which obviously causes problems if you want to run 70 MPH. This is just people being stuck in old thinking and not wanting learn or use new things. It will be very useful and I think it will help to lower maintenance costs drastically.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:06 PM
FTE *******

SpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to allSpartanDieselTech is a name known to all
Sounds like something for me to do over christmas break while I'm waiting on other parts

Thanks for the info, me1
Old 11-21-2004, 12:03 AM
Elder User

Hayapower! is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe the simplest way would be to just mount a roller or lever MICO switch at the base of the column at the shift cable arm, so that whenever the shifter was 'pulled' out of park, it 'triggers' the signal voltage switch via the tow/haul circuit wire on the column as well.. Just a few very 'short' wire connections.. Along with a dash/under dash, or column mounted toggle to cancel the triggering event if trans 'normal' operation is needed or desired.. Or a trigger wire tied into the trans shift range sensor circuit..

..........................HP..................
Old 11-21-2004, 08:15 AM
Internet Brands

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4
Sounds like something for me to do over christmas break while I'm waiting on other parts

Thanks for the info, me1
There ya go...

me1mckee I thank you for the explanation, and a good one it is...I do understand now, and it makes very good since why you want to accomplish this. I will watch this thread with curiosity how this can be done.

Old 11-21-2004, 12:01 PM
Posting Guru

Daryl Hunter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You could also tie it to the door lock circuit that fires when the truck has reached a few miles per hour.

The problem with the shift lever solution and the door lock one is that If the truck hasn't been turned off, it will still be in T/H mode when placed in Park while the driver stops, jumps out and does what ever.

When they put the lever back to drive it will again trigger the T/H mode switch and thereby disable it, same for the door lock at speed trigger.

But, it shouldn't be that hard to find the wire that turns on the T/H mode indicator lamp in the shifter. Use that in some logic to prevent a retriggering of the T/H mode switch if the lamp is already on.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:26 PM
Senior User

Yeah Daryl, that was the other option from Ford BB, but it will only work on 03's b/c on the newer ones, the wire is too far up in the dash, but it could be accessed at the PCM. They told me to use the same type of time delay relay and if the light was on it would send a cancelling signal to the relay, preventing operation. But, the original idea with the delay relay will work with all years 03 and newer, supposedly. I hope when I go back to work, it is done and I can verify all of this. If not, I will have to do it myself and that will require getting another truck to play with. The one that I am using now is one of our field service trucks that we are building.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:30 PM
Senior User

Tying to the door lock circuit won't work b/c these are work trucks and do not have electric door locks.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:31 PM
Elder User

Was think'n more along the lines of this...

The problem is, that the trigger voltage needs to be more than just a 12V 'flick', and can only occur 'once' during a shifter lever cycle (unless commanded) from Park to Drive/Low ect. and/or back.. It takes about a half second or so of 'apply' voltage to make the switch into/out of the tow/haul mode.. Maybe a double ramp/camel back type roller bracket, with a 'Micro' switch at two points.. (I said MICO before) One at neutral/ low point, and another at Drive/high point with a voltage canceling relay 'or' two wired to switch power duty of each micro switch back and forth, so as not to 'double switch' or 'bump' the mode on/off by either a shift to low or reverse ect.. It would have to be brought back to park to cancel tow/haul or an ignition off position..

Looked good on paper anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!

..................HP.............
Old 11-22-2004, 08:26 AM
Posting Guru

Brian460 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Brian Barker
Try these guys.

http://www.intermotive.net/index.htm

They make a solid state device that will turn the OD off on the 4r100 and the E4OD, upon start up. I would assume that it would assume that it would also trigger the tow.haul mode on for the torqueshift.

Downside is they run about $200. Althought my dad was able to put the parts together from radio shack and made one for about $16.

He has used a few of them where he works where all the trucks tow trailers everyday.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:12 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian460
Try these guys.

http://www.intermotive.net/index.htm

They make a solid state device that will turn the OD off on the 4r100 and the E4OD, upon start up. I would assume that it would assume that it would also trigger the tow.haul mode on for the torqueshift.

Downside is they run about $200. Althought my dad was able to put the parts together from radio shack and made one for about $16.

He has used a few of them where he works where all the trucks tow trailers everyday.

Thanks Brian...

I'm familiar with Intermotive Products and the OD inverter.. Intermotive made my injector performance tester.. The OD invertor won't work for the 5R110/tow/haul.. We were trying to figure a way to do an 'inexpensive' updrade.. But time is money too!! But, I did call Intermotive..They are somewhat local to me.. They did say that the BRAKE MAX CONTROLLER will cancel tow/haul on startup.. It runs about 284.00.. I didn't think that anyone had a unit out yet.. They also said that it ONLY has been tested on 04-05.. But being that 03 was a split year for engines/transmissions, he agreed that it should work for the early 5R110/6.0

And I think your right, there should be a simple way of installing a thermal or timed relay/switch that would trigger the mode and do the same thing for alot less cash..

Good call!! http://www.intermotive.net/BMC.pdf

...........................HP....................

Last edited by Hayapower!; 11-22-2004 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Senior User

It is confirmed, I did connect a time delay relay into the the circuit in parallel with the Tow/ Haul switch and set the timer for 12 seconds. That provides enough time to cycle the glow plugs before starting and then voila, the Tow/ Haul light illuminates and the relay is open again and the cycle will reset only when you cycle the ignition off and then back on again. So, if anyone wants the part details, PM me and I will pass on the exact info.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:22 PM