A.R.E. cab tops

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 02:22 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A.R.E. cab tops

Has anyone installed an A.R.E or comparable top on the back of a flareside bed? Just wondering what it looks like, how much it weighs, and what it costs. I do alot of camping with my truck and figure it would make for a really nice permanent camper type thing.

Any comments, suggestions?

Tom

Old 11-16-2004, 08:18 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a SnugTop SnugLid on mine(fleetside). It's kitty hair fiberglass, and it weighs about 200 pounds. It's got this horrible latch and hinge system, and 2 struts. I love it.

Are you talking about a camper shell or a tonneau?

For tonneaus, i know ******** make a really good x2000 model, but it's close to a grand. The newer SnugTop SnugLids are also really nice. The older one, like mine, retails for i think 729. But it's really sturdy, enough for me to stand on it. The ARE lids are nice, but I don't like how the middle part is raised up, I like the clean flat look.

Are we even talking about the same thing? I'm gonna go eat now.

aRMANd

Old 11-17-2004, 07:34 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Rman,

no the camper/utility top from right here. The Z model is ultra sleek and is flush with the roof. here is a picture, but not of the stepside bed. but you get the idea. Comes carpeted inside with the working tail light as well and sliding glass windows.

What do you think? great for camping or what? I was thinking of putting in one of those BedRugs inside the cab so it's nice and cozy like I can almost live in it.

$1575.00 includes installation. kinda expensive.

Tom

Old 11-17-2004, 10:55 AM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Tom,

Well, i've never really been a fan of camper shells, but I must say the ARE's look pretty damn good! I found/stole this pic on the web, its our body style, but fleetside and not flareside....

For 1500 or so, i don't think that's a bad price at all. Remember, the quality tonneaus are just about half, if not more than that. and it's just a flat piece of fiberglass! Anyhow, i'm sure installation should not be so hard, especially for someone who installed their own lift kit. Just get some friends to help you put it on, bolt or clamp it in, and wire in your break light! But hey, i could be totally wrong on the installation....

And a bed rug? NICE!!! although you may want to go to an upholstry store, and pick out some foam padding and PLUSH carpeting and just cut it yourself. I suspect it'd be much more comfy....A lot more than my line-x spray on liner. I wish i didn't have that sometimes....cuz now i want to cut my bed open to make room for the differential, axle, and step notches when i LAY MY FRAME ON THE GROUND in 2 months......but that's another story.....

Old 11-17-2004, 11:08 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Thanks for the picture. I'm still undecided. Any idea on the weight of one of these things?

Old 11-17-2004, 11:35 AM
WVF150VIANC
Senior User
Tom, that sounds kind of high. I priced a Leonard shell a couple of years ago for around $850-900. It was cab high, had sliders, brake light and painted to match for that price. No carpet though. I don't think Leonard is down your way though. Seems like the Carolinas are as far south as they go. I guess that could be a problem.. Also, I guess the Leonard could be a POS compared to the ARE shell.

Old 11-17-2004, 01:40 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
Well, the 1500 included some optional stuff too, like the pop out cab window and extra large slider windows and the carpeting. plus it includes the installation as well. There aren't too many places around her that sell them so I don't have much to shop around with. I will run a website search on Leonard though and see what I come up with.

Thanks,

Tom

Old 11-17-2004, 02:56 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Like I said before, the ARE looks damn good. I haven't seen a shell that looked as nice as that one. For that price, I'd say good looks is definitely built in, and worth paying for.

Anyhow, my SnugTop SnugLid tonneau weighs in at about 200lbs or so, give or take. Maybe 150lbs at the least. If anything, 100lbs, but the bulkiness throws me off quite a bit. I'd say 150lbs at least....ANYHOW, considering that, it's probably about 3-400lbs, depending on thickness, materials, glass, etc.

Its a hefty one!

**my neighbor has a 04 tundra double cab, with the new SnugTop SL tonneau. Cost him $1000. I think quality is a big factor, and that you should actually look for the more expensive ones, IMO.

Old 11-17-2004, 03:36 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
Well, let me throw this at ya.

I just looked at Leers site http://www.leer.com/fordmodel10.html and I called the local rep and they said that with the options that I want they can have it color coordinated and installed for 1000.00. looks pretty nice too. Check it out. Leer has been around for a while as well right? Any thoughts on that?

The other problem is that not many manufacturers make caps for the Flairside. Even Leer only has one model, the 100R. So that makes things more difficult.

I'm going to check on the SnugTop right now. Wow, http://www.snugtop.com/p_supersport.htm That Super Sport SnugTop looks awsome. I gotta see if there is a dealer near me.

Tom

Last edited by Busa01; 11-17-2004 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:42 PM
WVF150VIANC
Senior User
Definitely a 2 man job, at least, to prevent unsightly scratches on your truck.

Old 11-17-2004, 03:50 PM
WVF150VIANC
Senior User
I think Leer is a pretty established company. That one looks just as nice to me as the other and saves $500. Much better than a call to Geico.

Old 11-17-2004, 03:59 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
The Leer one did not strike me as aesthetically appealing, although I think they are a decent brand.

The SnugTop looks awesome, just like the ARE. i think it's that curved back end. I say ARE or SnugTop, they look the most stylish.
The SnugTop is even good enough for PROM!!!

Oh, and
Originally Posted by Busa01
I'm going to check on the SnugTop right now. Wow,
That's hilarious. Cuz we read it as an immediate thing, but in reality it was a few minutes of browsing.....

Old 11-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Busa01
Postmaster

here it is on my truck, the SnugTop and the dealer is 3 miles from my house. funny thing is it's IdealAutomotive and I go there all the time. I'm on the phone with the guy now to see how much it is, comes with the fold down slider inside front window, 50/50 tinted sliding side windows, single latch rear door and rear upper brake light

Price is?.....I'm still waiting.....this is much nicer looking than the Leer...$2200.00!!!! ahhhhhh!!! Forget that!

Now we're looking at Century's still looks nice, he's getting me a price now...I ain't paying 2 grand. I'd rather get the A.R.E. for 1500.00. Lets see what he says about the Century.........$1075.00. Doesn't look as nice as the Leer. for the same price.

I think I'm going with the Leer, but I'm going to give myself a few weeks to research it more and wait for some more feedback from you guys.

Thanks, keep giving me ideas please.

p.s. Rman, have you seen my truck dude, It ain't fit for no Prom. It looks like a truck truck, so super futuristic styling is not on the top of my list. good looks and longevity are though as well as features and price. Let's keep looking though, this is fun.

Tom

Last edited by Busa01; 11-17-2004 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:11 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Damn that SnugTop looks really nice too. Too bad it costs $2200!!!

Personally, I'd pay the 1500 for the ARE, for looks alone. Definitely go out and check out the quality of these things, hinges, latches, sturdiness, window sliders, etc.

It's just a damn shame that the SnugTop looks as nice as it does, even the lines of the tailgate run up the camper window.....hehe

Old 11-17-2004, 04:18 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
yeah, nice eyeball on that one, they do look freakin' nice though, but too much money for me. I'll have to go and actually look and compare the Leer and the ARE to see for myself in person. This weekend is hunting and camping so I'll have to do it next Saturday. But they may be closed for Thanksgiving.

Tom

Quick Reply: A.R.E. cab tops